Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I'd think the opposite actually as the number one motivation for our Gov and many others is the Economy.

Tourism is absolutely essential to our own Economy and countries such as Portugal and Spain in particular, if we can start to see some sort of drop off in the infection rates and life gradually returning to normal (such as Italy is doing right now), then I see no reason why we can't be in Vilamoura come the winter for a nice golfing holiday coupled with some complete and utter debauchery in Cats at night.

@pozbaird

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They aren't going to instigate mass testing programs so that people can get a fortnight in Benidorm. 

They've already got machines that can do it in 5 minutes, but they'd need to be mass produced. They'll probably be able to test people at airports later in the year. There will also be quite a few who've already had it. I can't see much of a market for potentially getting stuck in a far flung place, but trips to the med will probably be happening again sooner than you think. 

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Something will be worked out so we are checked out at the doctors and we get a pass/visa to say e are virus free or something like that.

And what about when you return?

I know a few people here have been infected, I am just wondering what were the initial symptoms like. I've got a sore throat right now, with a slight cough, and a very very mild fever, started off with temperature, then felt cold, now sweating quite a lot. Started on Tuesday, fine yesterday and back again today. I work from home and live by myself, but I've stayed indoors for the last few days. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even consider taking time off work with how I'm feeling. Just wondering if I could be infected, or am I just being paranoid. 

6 minutes ago, bendan said:

They've already got machines that can do it in 5 minutes, but they'd need to be mass produced. They'll probably be able to test people at airports later in the year. There will also be quite a few who've already had it. I can't see much of a market for potentially getting stuck in a far flung place, but trips to the med will probably be happening again sooner than you think. 

So they test the whole plane and if you all pass they let you enter the UK?

Fantasy stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I know a few people here have been infected, I am just wondering what were the initial symptoms like. I've got a sore throat right now, with a slight cough, and a very very mild fever, started off with temperature, then felt cold, now sweating quite a lot. Started on Tuesday, fine yesterday and back again today. I work from home and live by myself, but I've stayed indoors for the last few days. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even consider taking time off work with how I'm feeling. Just wondering if I could be infected, or am I just being paranoid. 

Stay at home, don't go to work. 

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Something will be worked out so we are checked out at the doctors and we get a pass/visa to say e are virus free or something like that.

If most of the experts are right, and if you've had it you won't get it again or be able to transmit it, the antibody test should sort that for people who've had it, and hopefully enough people have had it without noticing it too much or needing hospitalisation to build up some herd immunity. Higher risk groups might have to wait for the vaccine unless it just evaporates like swine flu before the vaccine is even produced. 

57 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I’m the one in the extreme minority trying to argue an alternative view with people who won’t accept that they might be wrong. 

And for the sake of healthy debate you think I should accept that my position may be wrong?

yeh, I see your logic there 

Completely incorrect. You characterise the forum as blindly believing the govt position which simply isn't true. You haven't bothered to engage with that though as it doesn't fit in with your one man against the system rambo fixation, so there is no healthy debate. 

Whenever anyone has tried to challenge you, or point this out, you've simply ignored them, proving that you're not here to raise questions or inspire debate, but rather to show off about which edgy websites you've been trawling in your pants this afternoon. 

Edited by madwullie

31 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Around 60,000 people a year have the common cold when they die in the UK

This compares with 2,300 who have died with coronavirus 

EVERYONE who dies has earwax.

I am now hitting the ignore button.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

And what about when you return?

I don't know, I'm maybe being optimistic.  People need to travel, it's not just holidays. There are family and business reasons.

Airlines and airports will have to play their part if they want to make money. People have to feel confident that they will be okay in these places. 

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

So they test the whole plane and if you all pass they let you enter the UK?

Fantasy stuff. 

They should do this and play it out like the blood test scene in The Thing.

19 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Figures for 2019 are £48 billion spent abroad by UK tourists and £25 billion spent in the UK by foreign tourists. 

So a significant net loss. 

Noone was saying the UK made more on tourism than we contribute to other countries.

But you made out it wasn't important here. £25b is significant to our economy.

What is the value of tourism in the UK when domestic tourism is included?

54 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Your tactics have been very poor, most will now take no notice of any of it, even the good stuff. 

I've just been skipping over his posts of late, tbh