Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Hardly top of any sane persons list of holidays

Screenshot_20200402-101402.jpg

Looks absolutely horrendous.

43 minutes ago, madwullie said:

People on my fb trying to get another clap for the nurses on the go again tonight. Sigh 😫🔫 

Apparently it's every Thursday until this is done...

I read this late last night.   Seems to confirm why there has been so little testing.    The response to the Covid-19 emergency was treated in terms

of a political strategy.  The Public Health scientists were sidelined, and the No 10 'nudge unit' behavioural people, and academic mathematical modellers

were given their head. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/absolutely-wrong-how-uk-coronavirus-test-strategy-unravelled

Edited by beefybake

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There is no way the UK makes money on tourism. UK citizens surely spend more abroad than we gain in tourism revenue. 

Frequently told that the Royal Family generates revenue. Tourism will be the main driver of that.

I'm well aware Tourism isn't high on the list of economic drivers for Bellshill, but Edinburgh and Glasgow, for example, will make large sums from tourists.

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

How long are they planning on clapping for?

Many will have it on their minds for a fair portion of the day before and aft, they'll be liking, reading and commenting on that stuff for a while. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

As expected, my "two weeks self isolation" given by my work who were also shutting for the two weeks, has ended, and as of today we're back to work as normal.

A mighty 3 days they lasted.

I did wonder why I had quite a few phone calls yesterday, asking if I was going back to work. They were all politely told no 

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

I’m the one in the extreme minority trying to argue an alternative view with people who won’t accept that they might be wrong. 

And for the sake of healthy debate you think I should accept that my position may be wrong?

yeh, I see your logic there 

B001MLWLHG_12angrymen_UXFX1._SX1080_.jpg

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Frequently told that the Royal Family generates revenue. Tourism will be the main driver of that.

I'm well aware Tourism isn't high on the list of economic drivers for Bellshill, but Edinburgh and Glasgow, for example, will make large sums from tourists.

The UK as a whole obviously generates a lot of tourist income.

The question is how much money leaves the economy due to tourism abroad. Given that a vast majority of people on any international flight I've ever been from/to the UK are British it's highly likely it's a net outward flow.

30 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Imagine linking to Toby fucking young to support your argument. The man who sums up the reason almost all of the contrarian fuckwits who've made a career from that grift are men - grew up being told they were clever wee boys who were never grew out of thinking they must know better than everyone else 

What's class about Toby Young's pro-eugenicist views is that by every metric you want to use he's a prime candidate for euthanasia: an ugly bald imbecile with no discernible valuable skills who's viscerally unlikeable and hated by even his closest friends.

Just now, Detournement said:

Given that a vast majority of people on any international flight I've ever been from/to the UK are British it's highly likely it's a net outward flow.

If it's a package holiday it's rare to see foreigners on a UK airliner, as most people are going / returning from holiday and I don't imagine there are travel agents in Majorca advertising 14 nights all inclusive in Margate.

If it's a normal flight, i generally find there a higher number of people from the country of origin.

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Around 60,000 people a year have the common cold when they die 

What % of ICU beds do they occupy over that time period? 

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If it's a package holiday it's rare to see foreigners on a UK airliner, as most people are going / returning from holiday and I don't imagine there are travel agents in Majorca advertising 14 nights all inclusive in Margate.

If it's a normal flight, i generally find there a higher number of people from the country of origin.

The KLM fights between Inverness and Amsterdam are rammed with Dutch, Belgians, Germans and French in both directions.