Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Amstel is absolutely rank, it’s also not very popular as there’s always lots of it left over in Asda. Stella also appears to be a rather unpopular beer in Scotland judging by what remains on the shelves during a pandemic.

44 minutes ago, Kneal Down Caster said:

What was the post that was put on here about the shortage of bog roll. Might have been jagfox ? It was about spinning like the wheel of fortune. Lol.

On 23/03/2020 at 19:13, jagfox99 said:

I used to spin that toilet roll like I was on Wheel of Fortune. 

Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe...

Guilty...

Really? 
All pubs and restaurants are shut for an indefinite period, travel from your home is restricted, you can be arrested for having visitors to your home, trial by jury is suspended, funerals are limited to 6 people and the government is paying the private sector's wage bill.
Yet the idea that you might not get a holiday next year is absurd!

'For years' does suggest just next year.

All of the measures you mentioned are short term suppression measures, designed to last weeks or a few months so don't suggest anything about going abroad being off the cards for years.

I would be astonished if you couldn't go abroad next April holidays. I'd be surprised if you couldn't go abroad in late Autumn/early winter this year.

There is no evidence that these are short term measures, the CMO said potentially 6 months. Hopefully some restrictions are lifted in May/June but others will obviously last longer. 

If it only takes a few hundred cases to tip us into lockdown and economic chaos it's unlikely governments are going to be in a hurry to start letting people go on holiday again. 

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There is no evidence that these are short term measures, the CMO said potentially 6 months. Hopefully some restrictions are lifted in May/June but others will obviously last longer. 

If it only takes a few hundred cases to tip us into lockdown and economic chaos it's unlikely governments are going to be in a hurry to start letting people go on holiday again. 

Indeed. They are going to need to double down on this over reaction for a long time to come in order to justify the damage they have done and the panic they have spread. 

Truth and reality will eventually emerge.

I think a lot hinges on what happens across all the major airlines over the rest of the year for tourism over the short to long term, and the impact it has on air fares.

If anything the fact a lot of folk have missed out on holidays this year will generally increase the desire to go abroad - when its practical to do so. Might be a slight hit to travel to Asia on purely psychological grounds, but thats just my hot take.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm not so sure of that. Anywhere heavily reliant on tourism - i think Greece generally doesnt export much so them for starters - will want to get people flocking back as soon as possible. Once we're at a point restaraunts etc are back open i reckon we'll see flights pick up again too...

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'd think the opposite actually as the number one motivation for our Gov and many others is the Economy.

Tourism is absolutely essential to our own Economy and countries such as Portugal and Spain in particular, if we can start to see some sort of drop off in the infection rates and life gradually returning to normal (such as Italy is doing right now), then I see no reason why we can't be in Vilamoura come the winter for a nice golfing holiday coupled with some complete and utter debauchery in Cats at night.

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm sure there will be much less travel, but once we have better data we will probably see there's not much risk for under 50s. Older people will probably take a break close to home.

42 minutes ago, Detournement said:

This year anyway for a foreign holiday but years before you can just wander around the world visa free again by virtue of having a British passport. 

Something will be worked out so we are checked out at the doctors and we get a pass/visa to say e are virus free or something like that.