Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If you mean London and the West Midlands, maybe.

Up here in Scotland we appear to have done much better at minimising the impact.

We are doing OK at the moment compared to England, just wish we'd the powers to steer our own path a bit earlier. 

Guest Moomintroll
Haven't been on this thread since the Indiana Jones debate was kicking off & cba trawling through all the pages.
Please tell me the consensus rated Last Crusade as best, and the reason for this conclusion was Alison Doody. If not, gtf P&B.

doodnessgraciousme.jpg.3d8208dd5b249283ba011d8bb401f65f.jpg
Howdy,Doody.

32 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, but you still wear a mask to the supermarket when almost every chief medical officer in the world has said this is pointless.

Swings and roundabouts.

Apparently many of those are now reassessing this partly based on the S Korea evidence.

BBC Scotland pointing out that although today marked its highest daily coronavirus-related death toll to date, Scotland's trajectory is actually not as steep as countries such as Spain or Germany.

In Scotland, the number of deaths is doubling roughly every three days, compared to a doubling of deaths around every two days in Spain (at least before their curve started to level).

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

I think what you might mean is we’re a couple of weeks behind England? 

Nah, if I multiply our numbers by 12 it's nowhere near a fortnight. 

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Away. Amstel is fantastic

Dutch lager is mediocre and Amstel isn't even a good Dutch brand. There's no scenario in the world that calls for a pint of fucking Amstel.

I will be braving the virus tomorrow to get a sizable cargo of Budvar or Harviestoun's Schiehallion lager instead.

5 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I think what you might mean is we’re a couple of weeks behind England? 

That's what worries me, London and New York especially, and it looks like China were telling porkies about the severity.

Edited by welshbairn

Exactly. It like the loonballs who say they/a friend /relative had been visiting someone in hospital and it was empty, so this is all made up shite ! Of course general wards are empty a) they can hardly fill them with contagious virus sufferers and b) all non essential procedures are stopped so the staff can be diverted to the busy ICU and Covid wards. These twats are just fukin at it.

If I genuinely thought some terrible mistake had been made by almost every chief medical officer in the world about coronavirus I'm not totally sold on the medium of P&B to persuade and disseminate this, presumably vital, information

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Dutch lager is mediocre and Amstel isn't even a good Dutch brand. There's no scenario in the world that calls for a pint of fucking Amstel.

I will be braving the virus tomorrow to get a sizable cargo of Budvar or Harviestoun's Schiehallion lager instead.

It's not on the same level as, say, Hacker-Pschorr, but it's decent enough.

Guest Moomintroll
[mention=72852]Moomintroll[/mention]  Any better today?  
Coughing like mad all day and still overheating but feel a lot calmer, I was a bit concerned last night when I was struggling to breathe but that has passed except for a wheezy rattle in my right lung.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Unexpected, but utter scumbag behaviour from the likes of Mike Ashley and Daniel Levy. Let's f**k over our minimum wage staff while Ndombele rakes in £200k a week.

I'll be seething if Uncle Roy attempts to abuse the furlough scheme at County.

I wouldn't mind if the likes of Ross County used it to pay both players and staff - Scottish clubs are exactly the sort of small business that this scheme is aimed at really.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's what worries me, London and New York especially, and it looks like China were telling porkies about the severity.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Exactly. It like the loonballs who say they/a friend /relative had been visiting someone in hospital and it was empty, so this is all made up shite ! Of course general wards are empty a) they can hardly fill them with contagious virus sufferers and b) all non essential procedures are stopped so the staff can be diverted to the busy ICU and Covid wards. These twats are just fukin at it.

As I've posted previously, a health professional in London starting urging her parents from here into lockdown 6 or 7 weeks ago, took about 4 weeks for them to listen. 

She must have witnessed something she didn't like, I thought it was a bit crackers at the time, glad I wasn't advising her parents. 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Is testing more people really key at this point? We are restricted in movement anyway. That ship has sailed.

Reducing hospital admissions is the idea. If you have any symptoms you stay home. Knowing definitely, for example, wee Jimmy has it but only has a mild cough and is staying home for 7 days really isn't that important.

If hospital admissions start to level off in around 10 days and then remain there for the next fornight or so, deaths will peak about 2 weeks later and fall off in about 6 weeks.

Testing more people won't greatly impact that.

Antibody testing is whats needed.

What if you are one of the many people who either don't have any symptoms because its only having a mild effect, or haven't yet developed any symptoms and are passing it on to people? This is why it's spread so much, if you're only self-isolating once you have symptoms, you could already have passed it onto a number of people. That's why places like Germany and South Korea are trying to test as many people as possible so you can track and trace anyone who has been in contact with them, test them and so on. The social distancing & lockdown are a blunt tool on their own, the testing, tracking & tracing along with it are more exact.

It also misses the fact that the key workers, especially those in the NHS, but also police, social care (who may have to get in close contact with other people as part of their jobs) plus people who work in supermarkets, chemists etc who are dealing with the public,  all have loads of staff self-isolating for 7-14 days when they could be at work if only they could be tested.

Agree with you about the anti-body testing though, that will be key too, and will eventually be more important.

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Bit about testingni cant get my head around.
If 95+% of all people tested in the uk have been those that turn up at hospital. Which is until the last day or 2 what we have been told.
Why are the percentage of positive test only at around 20%
That suggests the vast majority of those tested negative have been time wasters to some extent.

As well as people who are just generally ill (like invergowrie arab has just posted about his wife having really bad flu), there will also be a number of re-tests included in that figure. So aye, a lot of timewasters, but maybe not as bad as you think.