Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

The testing thing is starting to create a lot of pressure for the government, and rightly so.

Surely h_b's slightly tinfoil hat reason above isn't true? Do we know if they have the tests available? Are they choosing to hold off or have they fucked up the orders /administration?

The tests aren't available, and they are now saying its because of a global lack of chemicals for the kits, but whether that's true or not is unclear. And while they've been saying for the past week or more than testing will be "ramped up" it's only went from around 5-6000 to 7-8000 in that time, they now say they will have that figure up to 25,000, but not until maybe the middle or more likely end of April.

Coronavirus: Lack of testing becomes political problem - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52118781

47 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Some UK spokesman said it was because they were mainly testing the young, can't remember why that would make a difference in the numbers.

They're reportedly doing 500,000 tests per week in Germany, so many, many more people will get tested (people of all ages), and crucially a whole lot of people not showing any symptoms. The latter who test positive, will then know to self-isolate and they will therefore infect less people,  so less infections. That's why the WHO are saying testing is so important.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Amazing how the public now unquestioningly believe everything that Boris and his far right fascist regime now tell them.

Amazing how they now believe everything the mainstream media tell them.

The compliant unquestioning masses now happy to fall in line and dutifully obey their fuhrer.

The folk putting their heads above the parapets to question this will grow as the days go by.

This reads more like Wisbit to me than any other ex-poster. 

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Usually you can pay fines online through the scottish courts website.

That was just cautions though so speeding fines might be different.

You have to post your license in with the fine.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

People commute from South wales to London?  I drove that once and it took about three hours, IIRC.

2.05 to train Cardiff to Paddington, so less than 2 hours from Newport. I know folk that do it a couple of days a week and have met folk that do it dailly. 

Stop quoting the guy. He’s all but ruined the thread as it is. I’d be worried if anyone was logging on to Pie and Bovril for advice, but there are nuggets of good information and experiences in this thread that just get frittered away by his continuous trolling.

47 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Anybody work in the courts? I have this, what seems absolutely trivial, speeding ticket I need to pay.

I've put it off then forgotten about it and don't have a chequebook to send a cheque. Am I going to get my knuckles rapped further if I'm a few days late with paying the fine?

I had a speeding ticket in February, with all this I forgot to send the form in identifying myself as the driver within 28 days, I realised after 29 days phoned the dept listed and was told if I don't hear anything within 14 days not to worry about it, not counting chickens but I reckon I've a wee chance off getting off with it. 

Edited by ayrmad

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Has anyone mentioned the epl clubs applying for the 80%furlogh payments for employees - whilst players are still being paid their astronomical salaries?

Tottenham, Newcastle (surprise surprise), and Norwich.

It's a staggering lack of awareness, and i hope there's a serious backlash. Absolute c***s.

Good article on the BBC website about it -  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

“This exposes the crazy economics in English football and the moral vacuum at its centre.”

The furlough scheme is not being used in the appropriate way.

"This isn't what it's designed for. It's not designed to effectively allow them to continue to pay people hundreds of thousands of pounds, while at the same time furloughing staff on hundreds of pounds.".

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That depends on how the NHS absence rate versus the number of people they think have it. Also you would need to test family members to reduce the scenario you mention to reduce the number of people going off because of non NHS family members with symptoms.

Also finding one NHS case means testing all their NHS contacts and deep cleaning the areas they have been working in.

Well generally speaking, testing as many people as possible leads to a more efficient response to this for the same reasons I mentioned before. It's clear now that countries that have rolled out testing well have coped better. But even just with NHS workers, no you wouldn't have to test their families to see the benefits. Staff would have to be regularly tested aye but having sick people off and healthy people working is obviously going to produce better results in dealing with a highly infectious flu.

I don't really see how finding out a staff member has Coronavirus changes things re cleaning. Frontline health settings definitely need to cleaned well on account of all the Coronavirus patients.

Just been confirmed in the daily PC that only 2000 frontline NHS staff have been tested so far that us a total disgrace. They (the govt) clearly don't want a testing policy.

Still think we were a week late with our shutdown, hopefully all work on capacity mitigates it if that's the case. 
Why the f**k we didn't have testing and PPE ramped up a long while ago I'll never know. 

The players do seem to want to take a cut to be fair to them and it's being held up by PFA red tape because they want to try to have a similar policy across the board. However, there is no way that these clubs cannot continue to honour the salaries of these low-paid staff either way.

Good article on the BBC website about it -  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578
“This exposes the crazy economics in English football and the moral vacuum at its centre.”
The furlough scheme is not being used in the appropriate way.
"This isn't what it's designed for. It's not designed to effectively allow them to continue to pay people hundreds of thousands of pounds, while at the same time furloughing staff on hundreds of pounds.".
I thought there was a limit on the 80% scheme of £2500 a month?