Coronavirus (COVID-19)

26 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They obviously don't want to test the front line NHS workers as them going off sick for two weeks en masse would be a bigger issue than them working with the virus. 

Not testing NHS workers means staff are self isolating for 14 days because of any Corona-like symptoms in their households; rather than the right people staying off for the right amount of time. Widespread NHS staff testing would obviously reduce overall absences, compared to having some people off unnecessarily and others coming in and unknowingly infecting colleagues left and right.

As with most things, the possibility that someone has made a bit of an arse of it is more plausible than some wacky theory that isn't even logical to begin with.

Anybody work in the courts? I have this, what seems absolutely trivial, speeding ticket I need to pay.

I've put it off then forgotten about it and don't have a chequebook to send a cheque. Am I going to get my knuckles rapped further if I'm a few days late with paying the fine?

3 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Anybody work in the courts? I have this, what seems absolutely trivial, speeding ticket I need to pay.

I've put it off then forgotten about it and don't have a chequebook to send a cheque. Am I going to get my knuckles rapped further if I'm a few days late with paying the fine?

Don't work in the courts but you've already accepted it and sent off the NIC or whatever it's called you should be OK. If you've got a Post Office nearby you could always get a postal order (had to google to check if they're still a thing!).

If anyone thought for a millisecond that this event would lead to a reassessment of our priorities as a nation and a dramatic uplift in wages of those we now know to be truly essential...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/mar/31/uk-minimum-wage-rise-of-6-to-go-ahead-despite-coronavirus-pay-freeze-call?CMP=share_btn_tw
Any long term shift in ideology certainly won't come from the government, or the establishment in general.

It'll have to be a change in the public mood regarding these things. The magic money tree, and greater state involvement might just shift leftwards (after the war sobering similar happened, and brought about a huge change in societies).

1 hour ago, jakedee said:

Could this be linked to so many properties in Wales being 2nd homes/ holiday cottages ?

The Aneurin Bevan board, which has the most cases in Wales, has categically stated that the main reason they have so many is because they tested so many people. They had an early case in a health worker so tested loads of nhs staff. 

They've also speculated that another reason is the number of commuters to London from there. 

The holiday home areas have way fewer confirmed cases. I mean, some people might have a holiday home in Monmouthshire but that health board mostly covers newport and the south east valleys (shiteholes). 

Has anyone mentioned the epl clubs applying for the 80%furlogh payments for employees - whilst players are still being paid their astronomical salaries?

Tottenham, Newcastle (surprise surprise), and Norwich.

It's a staggering lack of awareness, and i hope there's a serious backlash. Absolute c***s.

24 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Not testing NHS workers means staff are self isolating for 14 days because of any Corona-like symptoms in their households; rather than the right people staying off for the right amount of time. Widespread NHS staff testing would obviously reduce overall absences, compared to having some people off unnecessarily and others coming in and unknowingly infecting colleagues left and right.

As with most things, the possibility that someone has made a bit of an arse of it is more plausible than some wacky theory that isn't even logical to begin with.

That depends on how the NHS absence rate versus the number of people they think have it. Also you would need to test family members to reduce the scenario you mention to reduce the number of people going off because of non NHS family members with symptoms.

Also finding one NHS case means testing all their NHS contacts and deep cleaning the areas they have been working in.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

The Aneurin Bevan board, which has the most cases in Wales, has categically stated that the main reason they have so many is because they tested so many people. They had an early case in a health worker so tested loads of nhs staff. 

They've also speculated that another reason is the number of commuters to London from there. 

The holiday home areas have way fewer confirmed cases. I mean, some people might have a holiday home in Monmouthshire but that health board mostly covers newport and the south east valleys (shiteholes). 

People commute from South wales to London?  I drove that once and it took about three hours, IIRC.

29 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

Usually you can pay fines online through the scottish courts website.

That was just cautions though so speeding fines might be different.

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Has anyone mentioned the epl clubs applying for the 80%furlogh payments for employees - whilst players are still being paid their astronomical salaries?

Tottenham, Newcastle (surprise surprise), and Norwich.

It's a staggering lack of awareness, and i hope there's a serious backlash. Absolute c***s.

Daniel Levy got himself a nice bonus of a few £m for delivering a new stadium behind schedule as well. 

They are a bunch of sponging c***s. Absolutely arseholes. Players paid in full and everyone on a 'normal' wage furloughed so the government can pick up the tab. 

Edited by Michael W