Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

It might, but in all likelihood it won't. There is no data to suggest we are on course to be like either, which is a good thing.

And that's the UK as a whole. With a soft lockdown already in place, I can't see a scenario where Scotland is anything like either.

With no lockdown at all, Sweden isn’t anything like either!

end the fascist police state! 

Guest Moomintroll
Remember if you end up feeling really really shit to the point it gets worrying and you'd normally phone a doctor rather than just stay in bed, phone 111,  or 999 in extremis .
Cheers min, I obviously will, pretty sure it is just an unrelated virus but time to withdraw for 7 days anyway just in case.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I really wish there was a option on here to block people like FB etc has

There is, but the problem is that it doesn't block it when people reply to them.

Like, you could block me, but if someone quoted one of my posts you'd still see my drivel.

33 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Where does this magic 50,000 excess deaths pish come from? The University of Oxford's vaccine knowledge project has it much, much lower...

Key disease facts

Influenza (flu) is a very common, highly infectious disease caused by a virus. It can be very dangerous, causing serious complications and death, especially for people in risk groups. In rare cases flu can kill people who are otherwise healthy. In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 [https://vk], which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09). Flu leads to hundreds of thousands of GP visits and tens of thousands of hospital stays a year.

So 600 a year (with a tragic 10,000 or so in a pandemic flu year) with no social distancing measures. Not 50,000. And how many of these 600 or 10,000 would be classed as "excess deaths"? I'll give you a clue, it's fewer than 50,000...

I’ll give you a clue.

it comes from the UK flu epidemics of 99/00 and 14/15

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

What sort of effect does that have on one's forum experience?

I can only speak for myself but it's been largely positive.

The quote function can scupper your plans, but it's a joy to see a vastly reduced number of posts from the 8MileBUs, BigmouthStrikesAgains or SweeperDees of this world.