Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Tuesday  3 Mar 2020 10:14 am

Sadiq Khan has said there is ‘no risk’ of people catching coronavirus while travelling on buses or trains in the capital.

The Mayor of London has urged people to continue to use the Tube and go to concerts despite the outbreak of the disease. So far in the UK, 39 people have tested positive to the virus.

Mr Khan said it is ‘important we don’t spread panic or alarm’ and urged politicians to ‘reply upon the best advice we have from the public health experts and from the chief medical officer’.

22 minutes ago, The OP said:

Good lad. You keep doing as you’re telt.

This is quite a good article I did find on clarifying some of the key points.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/64b06b64-1400-426d-a147-075f806b94e6

On the contrary, the article ties itself up in knots and contradicts itself all over the place.

My key take home point from it was though:

We don’t know what the level of excess deaths will be from this epidemic. 

So thanks for making my point for me again, good lad 👍

28 minutes ago, The OP said:

You got Hansard quote on that? Can’t find your source.

Don't have Hansard, but the FT quotes him as saying:

We don’t know what the level of excess deaths will be from this epidemic. By excess deaths I mean by the end of the year, what proportion of those people who died from Covid-19 would have died anyhow? Because it might be as much as half to two-thirds of the deaths that we’re seeing from Covid-19, because this is affecting people either at the end of their lives or with poor health conditions.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/03/26/1585245384000/Let-s-flatten-the-coronavirus-confusion-curve/

Coronavirus is believed to have spread to the UK in January.

Over 2 months later, coronavirus has caused no excess mortality in the UK.

In the winters of 14/15 and 99/00, the flu caused excess mortality of around 500 per day. That’s on top of the numbers who usually die of flu.

Other than advising people who are vulnerable to take extra precautions or isolate, as they are doing in Sweden, I see no reason to lockdown the rest of the population.

There is no evidence to support it.
Do you think what has been happening in Italy for a few weeks is acceptable?

Should we just cope with those numbers?

The hospitals are struggling to safely dispose of the death. Are they all pretending? Or should we just suck that up?

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I’ve been using this time in self-isolation to try to make my way through the considerable backlog of books I have to read. Making good progress, but picking up The Plague by Albert Camus was possibly a silly choice.

Hide contents

“It is noteworthy that our townspeople very quickly desisted, even in public, from a habit one might have expetced them to form; that of trying to figure out the probable duration of their exile. The reason was this. When the most pessimistic had fixed it at, say, six months; when they had drunk in advance the dregs of bitterness of those six black months, and painfully screwed up their courage to the sticking-place, straining all their remaining energy to endure valiantly the long ordeal of all those weeks and days - when they had done this, some friend they met, an article in a newspaper, a vague suspicion, or a flash of foresight would suggest that after all, there was no reason why the epidemic shouldn't last more than six months; why not a year, or even more?

At such moments the collapse of their courage, will-power and endurance was so abrupt that they felt they could never drag themselves out of the pit of despond into which they had fallen. Therefore they forced themselves never to think about the problematic day of escape, to cease looking to the future, and always to keep, so to speak, their eyes fixed on the ground at their feet. But, naturally enough, this prudence, this habit of feinting with their predicament and refusing to put up a fight were ill-rewarded. For, while averting that revulsion which they found so unbearable, they also deprived themselves of those redeeming moments, frequent enough when all is told, when by conjuring up pictures of a reunion to be, they could forget about the plague. Thus, in a middle course between these heights and depths, they drifted through life rather than lived, the prey of aimless days and sterile memories, like wandering shadows that could have acquired substances only by consenting to root themselves in the solid earth of their distress.”

The Plague was shite.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Hemingway would've just written on one line "the people wanked a lot"

Hemingway was even shiter.

11 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

On the contrary, the article ties itself up in knots and contradicts itself all over the place.

My key take home point from it was though:

We don’t know what the level of excess deaths will be from this epidemic. 

So thanks for making my point for me again, good lad 👍

What’s funny is I am not even saying you won’t ultimately be right and excess deaths and hospitalisations but for lockdown would not be unusual. I have no basis for my position that we and most Western European countries are adopting the correct approach, other than faith that the world’s epidemiologists and the World Health Organisation know more about pandemics than I. 

The overarching point is that you are a complete tool for thinking your opinion on the best approach is in any way relevant.

Edited by The OP

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Do you think what has been happening in Italy for a few weeks is acceptable?

Should we just cope with those numbers?

The hospitals are struggling to safely dispose of the death. Are they all pretending? Or should we just suck that up?

Sucking up the dead with a hoover the size of the Sears Tower might be a decent shout. Somebody get Dyson onto that when he's done with making ventilators. 

19 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Tuesday  3 Mar 2020 10:14 am

Sadiq Khan has said there is ‘no risk’ of people catching coronavirus while travelling on buses or trains in the capital.

The Mayor of London has urged people to continue to use the Tube and go to concerts despite the outbreak of the disease. So far in the UK, 39 people have tested positive to the virus.

Mr Khan said it is ‘important we don’t spread panic or alarm’ and urged politicians to ‘reply upon the best advice we have from the public health experts and from the chief medical officer’.

Any updates on this Captain?

Ric has also for some inexplicable reason slithered back to post solely about Off the Ball in recent days. Presumably he thinks that everyone has now forgotten about the time he resigned from the forum in an argument about him, err, resigning the forum previously. And the time he resigned from the forum because of a thread about cooked fruit as well. 

A seriously disturbed individual.

Edited by vikingTON

I watched Prometheus last week and it might be the worst film I've ever seen. Even discounting the frankly offensive Scottish accent in it.

I don’t think it’s the worst film ever but considering what it was supposed to be it is the most disappointing. The last one was complete pish and confirmed the slide of the series into completely generic shoot em up space action dross.

The thing I kind of loved about the first two Alien movies was the sense that you were seeing a tiny piece of a much bigger story -the company, the space jockey, the origin of it all wasn’t explained but it gave the films a kind of resonance. The fact that the cast for those films were very much “everymen/women” (a working crew of a mining ship and a bunch of marines) added to that sense.

Explaining every little bit of the bad story and the overly grandiose way it was done makes those films worse than the sum of their parts.

23 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I watched Prometheus last week and it might be the worst film I've ever seen. Even discounting the frankly offensive Scottish accent in it.

I watched a film called 'Idiocracy' and it seemed plausible.