Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, The OP said:

People don’t realise that not everyone is a WUM. Some people have low intelligence and an inability to recognise that. I seem to remember Captain Sensible always coming across as a complete idiot. His targets have just changed so it is more noticeable.

Nah. On stuff he knew a lot about he came across as genuinely intelligent, particularly around health and fitness (especially running).

12 minutes ago, The OP said:

If you can repudiate the Imperial College study which predicted 510,000 deaths with inaction and 250,000 with mitigation (mild social distancing) please submit your report to all of the relevant bodies, the media and please post it on here.

The 250,000 with mitigation might actually equal 50,000 excess deaths. That was pretty much what the Imperial College guy was saying to MPs. People are comparing apples with oranges, as usual.

Just now, The OP said:

Running is quite complex tbf.

No, but getting good at it and understanding the link between nutrition, physiology and anatomy is. And he was pretty good at it.

1 minute ago, Romeo said:
3 minutes ago, Gaz said:
Nah. On stuff he knew a lot about he came across as genuinely intelligent, particularly around health and fitness (especially running).

He knew how to run?

Everyone knows how to run.

He knew how to run pretty well.

The 250,000 with mitigation might actually equal 50,000 excess deaths. That was pretty much what the Imperial College guy was saying to MPs. People are comparing apples with oranges, as usual.
1. Apples
2. Oranges

5 minutes ago, bendan said:

You got Hansard quote on that? Can’t find your source.

4 minutes ago, The OP said:

Question 1 - No. They are the people who changed the approach.

2. Yes, if we did nothing that was their prediction.

3. No, we will all die anyway.

4. No

5. No, these amendments depend on a change in approach.

6. Yes, this is a novel virus which could be devastating and we don’t have the testing, vaccination programmes or general capability in place to deal with that or make accurate predictions.

Now continue following the advice until told otherwise by the epidemiologists, there’s a good lad.

1. so the first set of “experts” were wrong?

2. But then admitted that most would die anyway?

3. We won’t all die this year

4. so it was different “ experts” who came up with the 20,000? 3 different sets of “experts” now all disagreeing with each other!

5. No they aren’t 

6. so you only believe that the virus “ could” be devasting and you don’t think we can make accurate predictions?

And lastly, what makes you think I’m not following the advice? 

I can follow the advice and still think for myself!

1 minute ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

1. so the first set of “experts” were wrong?

2. But then admitted that most would die anyway?

3. We won’t all die this year

4. so it was different “ experts” who came up with the 20,000? 3 different sets of “experts” now all disagreeing with each other!

5. No they aren’t 

6. so you only believe that the virus “ could” be devasting and you don’t think we can make accurate predictions?

And lastly, what makes you think I’m not following the advice? 

I can follow the advice and still think for myself!

Good lad. You keep doing as you’re telt.

This is quite a good article I did find on clarifying some of the key points.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/64b06b64-1400-426d-a147-075f806b94e6

32 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

No wind up from me

There are 50,000 excess deaths in the UK in a bad flu season.

These are people whose departures were not in any way imminent.

We do not lockdown the entire population in a bad flu season 

xmPxEY0CYm3dQIiz12BiiJty2BA=.gif

36 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I have an irrational dislike for people wearing masks in supermarkets.

I just instantly think, 'What a c**t'.

Microbiologist on BBC News this morning saying that masks were completely pointless and those wearing scarves and snoods around their faces were actually putting themselves more at risk due to the material catching and holding bacteria.

These are the same people who initially advised that a lockdown wasn’t required and we’d be okay with herd immunity?

The same people who then estimated that 500,000 would die?

Who then admitted that most of these people would have died anyway?

who then downgraded their estimate to 20,000?

and then reduced it further to 6,000?

and who still can’t tell us what they think the actual excess mortality will be?

The two people at imperial college who said 6,000 were in the engineering department and had nothing to do with the epidemiologists apart from working at the same institution

Fuller debunking available

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000h7st

I for one welcome our new goat overlords.

Edit: beaten to it about an hour ago.

Fwiw, one of my workmates comes from Campbeltown, they quite regularly get goats wandering on to the golf course at Macrahanish and climbing all over cars in the car park.