Coronavirus (COVID-19)

32 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Unpopular opinions thread for this pish but the blame for Edinburgh's housing situation completely lies at the door of the council and governments, not at individuals using legal means in an attempt to better themselves. (I'm a lifelong renter by the way, never been a landlord or used AirBnB.)

I partly agree. The current situation in Edinburgh e.g. is a failure of the Council and Scottish Government.

As others have said, a lot of the people (really, companies) involved are at best skirting around flimsy regulation and at worse, straight up not using legal means. I'm not against individuals using their homes to make some extra money but companies buying up property left and right without being regulated and taxed as proper businesses can sook my baws.

I've also been a hypocrite and used it abroad. I came back absolutely jaked to one in Berlin, and accidentally went into the wrong flat with the key for the one we'd rented. One company obviously owned the entire stair and couldn't be arsed to get different keys cut. That's where things have gone a bit too far.

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

People will always be c***s though and the main job of authorities is to stop c***s being c***s. They're failing.

Max Weber seen off.

2 minutes ago, trainspotter said:

Quite a jump from ranking Star Wars films on to 'who's your favourite despot then'.

Lenin or Castro.

Edited by NotThePars

1 minute ago, trainspotter said:

Quite a jump from ranking Star Wars films on to 'who's your favourite despot then'.

Those taking part in the former can be safely put in the nearest gulag by the latter.

Enver Hoxha - Labour Day Celebration on Make a GIF

Sorry for hijacking this thread but a quick glance on Gumtree today is pretty telling. There is an endless volume of obvious AirBnb properties being advertised for longer term rent. The first noticeable thing is that these folk haven't managed to wean themselves off the habit of trying to absolutely fleece people and some of the prices are absolutely laughable. Surely there is going to be a crashing down to earth happening there.

When you click on the advertisers' profiles, most of these people (it's mostly personal names listed rather than something that sounds like an agency) are suddenly listing a shitload of properties each. I think the honest individual making a few quid for themself is now a very small fraction of the 'sharing economy'. 

1 minute ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Sorry for hijacking this thread but a quick glance on Gumtree today is pretty telling. There is an endless volume of obvious AirBnb properties being advertised for longer term rent. The first noticeable thing is that these folk haven't managed to wean themselves off the habit of trying to absolutely fleece people and some of the prices are absolutely laughable. Surely there is going to be a crashing down to earth happening there.

When you click on the advertisers' profiles, most of these people (it's mostly personal names listed rather than something that sounds like an agency) are suddenly listing a shitload of properties each. I think the honest individual making a few quid for themself is now a very small fraction of the 'sharing economy'. 

So you're saying 'liquidate the landlord class' then.

Enver Hoxha Happy on Make a GIF

Landlords/property investors have had it too good for years. Property was pretty much a sure thing as an investment with next to no chance of not making money out it. There was pretty much zero risk attached. 

It sat in its own bubble away from normal investments, which can of course see you lose money. I have no sympathy that their 'sure thing" has suddenly equalised itself with the normal risk/reward investment profile. 

Just now, Snafu said:

Raiders has to be the best, just iconic for it's time and I don't have it in my collection and I have no idea why?????

Crusade is the best because of Connery

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
11 minutes ago, Gaz said:
Crusade
Raiders
Temple
Crystal

I wouldn't even include Crystal in the list tbh.

I don't think it's as bad as made out to be.

The weakest of the four, and some really poor scenes, but still an enjoyable enough popcorn film to spend a couple of hours.