Coronavirus (COVID-19)

44 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It’s almost as if folk on here ignore the fact that getting Covid on top of an existing condition can cause rapid deterioration of an otherwise, relatively manageable condition.

So do flu and bacterial pneumonia all the time though, which is why big scary Covid is literally reducing the death toll from the former based on the latest ONS statistics. Their effects overlap across the same vulnerable risk categories.

Common respiratory diseases including the flu are therefore the benchmark that rational people should use to place the number of Covid cases, deaths and prevention strategy in its context.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm a total hypocrite because I despise these c***s doing it in Edinburgh but love staying in a decent apartment for the price of a cheap hotel room when I'm on holiday in someone else's country.

Some countries have an overabundance of properties. France, for instance. I based this opinon on received wisdom but searched to see if it was fact.

Apparently there are 3 million plus second homes  and over 2 million empty homes in France.

The house next door  has been up for  sale for over 10 years.    No, it's not because of the neighbours.   (4 bed, gas central heating, large garden.    E75,000. )

If there is no shortage, it's not a moral dilemma. 

4 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Tomorrow I'm going to post 'Today is Wednesday' and wait for this boy to show up and condescendingly tell me it's not Wednesday and that I'm a weak-minded fool for ever thinking it could have been.

That'll depend on whether you've produced a shan model stating that tomorrow is of course Saturday and then furiously row back from that once 'new data' comes to light.

I'm still doing sensibly what I have done for the last 9 years at lunchtime. I do a 3.5 mile round walk on the path around the old course at St Andrew's.
What is noticable that every day last week I would encounter maybe 50 people in total in my view over an hour out with dog etc.
Today I suspect those 1 a day excercisers are already bored.
Not a sole to be seen out here. It is almost eery.
Picture to follow on the 14th fairway

35 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Unpopular opinions thread for this pish but the blame for Edinburgh's housing situation completely lies at the door of the council and governments, not at individuals using legal means in an attempt to better themselves. (I'm a lifelong renter by the way, never been a landlord or used AirBnB.)

Obviously the primary blame goes to councils and governments for failing to regulate to stop it, but the people using that failure to regulate to enrich themselves are parasitic scum regardless of the legality of it. Get it right up them.

6 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I'm still doing sensibly what I have done for the last 9 years at lunchtime. I do a 3.5 mile round walk on the path around the old course at St Andrew's.
What is noticable that every day last week I would encounter maybe 50 people in total in my view over an hour out with dog etc.
Today I suspect those 1 a day excercisers are already bored.
Not a sole to be seen out here. It is almost eery.
Picture to follow on the 14th fairway

But they'd be fish out of water...

Check the gorse for [mention=11339]pozbaird[/mention] [emoji102][emoji102][emoji102][emoji102][emoji6]

Cant find him. Got a couple of prov1s and narrowly avoided the shite. I reckon all the wild animals in the gorse for years have emerged.20200331_142211.thumb.jpeg.eae508a333f25be0166defa686b340d4.jpeg

Or he is here but is out of bogroll

29 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Isnt Belarus who are a bigger nation than us doing f**k all? Or certainly the president is saying this
https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-belarus-president-refuses-to-cancel-anything-and-says-vodka-and-saunas-will-ward-off-coronavirus-11965396

They have first reported death today..

Went to pick up medication for my mum and chemist was quiet.
Went to farmfoods to pick up milk and the shop was empty ( mind you so were the shelves ).
Fairly quiet which is good.

Belarus are lead by a weapons-grade mad-man. Fk knows what to believe from there. There's not nearly as much movement in and out of the country, or around it, so it might take longer to spread there. The plague took years to spread across Europe in the middle ages, because few people often travelled beyond their own farm, town or village.

Went to Sainsbury's last night, I wish they would do what others have done and put in a one-way system. I couldn't avoid coming well within 2m of quite a few people. After putting the shopping in the car I went back into the shop and washed my hands - hopefully that should help keep the steering wheel cleaner, at least.

52 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It’s almost as if folk on here ignore the fact that getting Covid on top of an existing condition can cause rapid deterioration of an otherwise, relatively manageable condition. 

Crack on with the tinfoil hat theorising though, it’s a good laugh.

In fairness I think most of us do understand that, it's just a couple of rockets who keep posting the same drivel that makes it appear that there's more think this way than actually do.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Obviously the primary blame goes to councils and governments for failing to regulate to stop it, but the people using that failure to regulate to enrich themselves are parasitic scum regardless of the legality of it. Get it right up them.

Mao Mao Zedong GIF - Mao MaoZedong Chinese - Discover & Share GIFs

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Boring old flu and respiratory disease currently bumping people off by a 15:1 margin compared to the big scary new virus; so much for the 'but we've got a vaccine for that so it doesn't really matter' argument then.

Interesting that in HK they think the hygiene procedures implemented for Covid-19 have reduced deaths from the ‘common flu’.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3076888/coronavirus-measures-help-hong-kong-flu-season

Mmm sorta. The great majority of individuals are not using legal means as they have not applied for planning permission to change the use of their properties. The council of course deserves some blame for not enforcing this. I'm kind of dubious about the license being proposed as it smacks of the council manoeuvring to monetise the trend instead of hiring enough planning/permitting staff to actually do something about it. But meh. People keep voting for the councillors, they get what they want whether they knew they wanted it or not good and hard.
For clarity of like to stress that I have zero sympathy for landlords fucked by this. They have to take the rough with the smooth. People will always be c***s though and the main job of authorities is to stop c***s being c***s. They're failing.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

In fairness I think most of us do understand that, it's just a couple of rockets who keep posting the same drivel that makes it appear that there's more think this way than actually do.

The absolute brass neck of this, coming from the roaster who reckoned that Covid was already running around Scotland in January because you and your sister-aunt's mate got a bad cold. I'm sure that the WHO has by now incorporated your Walter Mitty claims into its findings.