Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It's the guy who did the real worst posters countdown thread who deleted it then had a heads gone when the mods kept reinstating it. Always names himself after old cricketers, has strong opinions about trains. He got punted for something else in politics prior to that but I can't remember what it was.

Is it Tarmo Kink?

Guest Moomintroll
It's the guy who did the real worst posters countdown thread who deleted it then had a heads gone when the mods kept reinstating it. Always names himself after old cricketers, has strong opinions about trains. He got punted for something else in politics prior to that but I can't remember what it was.
Ah is it barrajag again?

5 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Just read that Paul from the Chuckle Brothers has the virus - hope he doesn't give it to you/to me. 

That's a decent transfer rate

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The point I was trying to make was that it's quite possible the "model" was way out.

If we are being honest, every prediction so far has been wrong.

'Experts' are guessing just as much as everyone else. They quite clearly have a hard on for an end of days type virus.

I strongly disagree that models have been wrong. There's no evidence for that. Morons have been saying that the 'do nothing' scenarios have been overblown, when no country has followed a 'do nothing' approach and the death tolls are well in line with the models for the types on non-pharmaceutical interventions that we've seen.

Experts aren't guessing, they're making highly informed judgment calls. They're definitely not the same as everyone else.

Putting experts in inverted commas is telling. And I think epidemiologists have less of a "hard on" for an end of days virus than you do for wanting to believe that your opinion is worth as much as theirs.

4 hours ago, sparky88 said:

We can vaccinate against the flu and it still kills 500,000 people. 

I've heard the CMO for Scotland say she thinks as many as 65000 people have coronavirus here. Yet we are also told the mortality rate for COViD19 is 1 or 2 percent.  1 percent of 65000 isn't the number of deaths we have had in Scotland due to COViD19.

Some of that 65,000 are going to die.

If you want a better understanding of the numbers, don't just look at the number of deaths divided by the number of speculated cases. Look at the number of deaths compared to the number who have recovered. It's not pretty.

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I strongly disagree that models have been wrong. There's no evidence for that.

The model that the UK government used to support its initial 'herd immunity' brainwave was deemed to be wrong, which is why the government furiously backpedalled to shut down vast tracts of economic activity when its now beloved Imperial College boffins came out with totally different numbers.

Guest Moomintroll
It isn't Barra/Tarmo. It's Captain Sensible.
One of the original posters on the site who has spent his entire time here trolling. He literally hasn't changed his posting style in nearly 20 years. 
Clearly before my time then, I'm happy to say.

10 minutes ago, Dele said:

It isn't Barra/Tarmo. It's Captain Sensible.

One of the original posters on the site who has spent his entire time here trolling. He literally hasn't changed his posting style in nearly 20 years. 

Ohhhh. Was he the one that bragged about having multiple hd tellies and being pointlessly cruel to call centre staff? Explains a lot, must be bored and decided to start shitposting in here.

Just now, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Ohhhh. Was he the one that bragged about having multiple hd tellies and being pointlessly cruel to call centre staff? Explains a lot, must be bored and decided to start shitposting in here.

Nah, that was Stuart Dickson. 

He had 5 (I think) TV's, for anyone interested.