Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gutted.

In other news my hands have responded to 4 days without getting oil on them by coming out in a rash. 

That's because it acted like a barrier to the squalid letham conditions you live in you mink. I'll be up to inspect the garden after this is over....

6 minutes ago, s_dog said:

They estimated early on that the mortality rate would be around 1%. Right in the middle of it you can't really put an accurate figure on it because no one knows for certain how many people are infected, and also because of the lag between when people die after they are first hospitalised. You can though use Germany and South Korea as guides because they are both extensively testing, so have more accurate figures for how many people are infected.

According to the youtube king Dr John Campbell, Germany is testing 500,000 per week and their figures show 62k infected with 500 deaths, so around 0.8%. While South Korea who are testing, tracking and tracing extensively, they have 9.5k and 150 deaths, which is around 1.6%. 

Latest study from Wuhan puts the death rate between 0.04% and 0.12%

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gutted.

In other news my hands have responded to 4 days without getting oil on them by coming out in a rash. 

Obviously caught the clap the other night. 

34 minutes ago, virginton said:

I’m sure that the producers are devastated to hear that it hasn’t earned the high culture seal of approval from a shite-flinging fantasist.

The COVID-19 of P&B calling anyone else a fantasist 😄

Pipe down you raging tramp. The closest you’ve come to culture was purchasing a crepe from a van with some kid’s lost change found by the waltzer at Vic Harbour.

Edited by 8MileBU

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

That's because it acted like a barrier to the squalid letham conditions you live in you mink. I'll be up to inspect the garden after this is over....

Is that essential travel Tam? 

I'm blaming the handwash, tbh, I'll be washing my hands for 20 seconds in swarfega from now on, hopefully that's medically fine.

Italy in particular is bad possibly because parts of the north where its been worse are densely populated with low air quality

Can we please put this myth to bed.

The worst affected region per capita is Val d'Aosta, which is also the least densely populated region in Italy. Per capita Trentino-Alto Adige is worse affected than neighbouring Veneto despite having 30% of its population density.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm blaming the handwash, tbh, I'll be washing my hands for 20 seconds in swarfega from now on, hopefully that's medically fine.

Note the "after this is over" line.

Someone is going to tesco for me later, I might ask them to go 100m up the hill if they're brave enough.

45 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

One of my mates lives next to 2 nurses in Paisley who work in intensive care

They were both off at the weekend

They’ve only got 1 person in intensive care in Paisley with coronavirus. 

He’s 86, just had a hip replacement and was in intensive care anyway 

It’s because she’s in surgery just now and they are trying to send as many patients home as possible. In fairness the medical wards are pretty full of corona patients apparently.

27 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

A new epidemiological study(preprint) concludes that the fatality of Covid19 even in the Chinese city of Wuhan was only 0.04% to 0.12% and thus rather lower than that of seasonal flu, which has a mortality rate of about 0.1%. As a reason for the overestimated fatality of Covid19, the researchers suspect that initially only a small number of cases were recorded in Wuhan, as the disease was probably asymptomatic or mild in many people.

As usual your copying and pasting totally misses the point. It's not about the death toll, it's about the transmission rate and the capacity of the NHS to cope with a rapid influx of patients. Here's  a bit you missed from the paper you failed to link, further down.

Our posterior estimates of basic reproduction number (R) in Wuhan City, China
236 in 2019–2020 is calculated to be as high as 5.20 (95%CrI: 5.04–5.47). The
237 time–dependent scaling factor quantifying the extent of enhanced public health
238 intervention on R is 0.99 (95%CrI: 0.94–1.00), declining R to 5.12 (95%CrI: 4.98–5.26)
239 from January 23rd to February 1st and 0.11 (95%CrI: 0.10–0.13), declining R to 0.58
240 (95%CrI: 0.51–0.64) for February 2nd to February 11th, 2020. These R estimates
241 capturing the underlying transmission dynamics modify the impact of COVID-19, with
242 the total number of infections (i.e. cumulative infections) estimated at 1905526
243 (95%CrI: 1350283– 2655936) in Wuhan City, raising the proportion of infected
244 individuals to 19.1% (95%CrI: 13.5–26.6%) with a catchment population in Wuhan
245 City of 10 million people. Our estimates of mean reproduction number reached values
246 as high as 5.20, an estimate that is slightly higher than previous mean estimates in the
247 range 2.2-3.8 derived by fitting epidemic models to the initial growth phase of the
248 observed case incidence [21-23]. By comparison, the R estimate for the Diamond
249 Princess cruise ship in Japan reached values as high as ~11 [24]. Further, these estimates
250 are higher than recent mean R estimates derived from the growth rates of the COVID-19
251 outbreaks in Singapore (R~1.1) [25] and Korea (R~1.5) [26].
253 The sustained high R values in Wuhan City even after the lockdown and mobility
254 restrictions suggests that transmission is occurring inside the household or amplified in
255 healthcare settings [18], which is a landmark of past SARS and MERS outbreaks

256 [27-28]. Considering the potent transmissibility of COVID-19 in confined settings, as
257 illustrated by COVID-19 outbreaks aboard cruise ships, including the Diamond Princess
258 cruise ship, where the total number of secondary or tertiary infections reached 705
among more than 3,700 passengers as of February 28th 259 , 2020 and also by the COVID-19
260 outbreak tied to the Shincheonji religious sect in South Korea where church members
261 appear to have infected from seven to 10 people. [29-31], it is crucial to prevent
262 transmission in confined settings including hospital-based transmission by
263 strengthening infection control measures as well as transmission stemming from large
264 social gatherings.

265 Our most recent estimates of the crude CFR and time–delay adjusted CFR are
266 at 4.2% (95% CrI: 3.9–4.9%) and 12.23% (95% CrI: 11.4–13.0%), respectively. In
267 contrast, our most recent crude IFR and time–delay adjusted IFR is estimated to be
268 0.04% (95% CrI: 0.03%–0.06%) and 0.12% (95%CrI: 0.08–0.17%), which is several
269 orders of magnitude smaller than the crude CFR at 4.19%. These findings indicate that
270 the death risk in Wuhan is estimated to be much higher than those in other areas, which
271 is likely explained by hospital-based transmission [32].

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022434v2.full.pdf+html

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As usual your copying and pasting totally misses the point. It's not about the death toll, it's about the transmission rate and the capacity of the NHS to cope with a rapid influx of patients. Here's  a bit you missed from the paper you failed to link, further down.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20022434v2.full.pdf+html

Actually, I didn’t miss it at all

17 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

The COVID-19 of P&B calling anyone else a fantasist 😄

Pipe down you raging tramp. The closest you’ve come to culture was purchasing a crepe from a van with some kid’s lost change found by the waltzer at Vic Harbour.

That’s hilarious

are you in stand up?

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't forget the nails...

Governments everywhere say they are responding to the science. The policies in the UK are not the government’s fault. They are trying to act responsibly based on the scientific advice given. But governments must remember that rushed science is almost always bad science. We have decided on policies of extraordinary magnitude without concrete evidence of excess harm already occurring, and without proper scrutiny of the science used to justify them.

8 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Don't forget the nails...

Nah they're left black tbh.

In all seriousness, if you have a skin condition then make sure you're moisturising throughout the day aswell as cleaning your hands.