Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some ten days ago, Mr. Trump declared, that this “situation” is enough and that it is time to get the economy working again. He is a business man and knows best. He suggested March 30 for going back to work. He then must have gotten instructions from his higher-ups, that more time was needed – this is just my guess – to prepare whatever sinister plan is in the making. So, he postponed by two weeks the “back-to-normal” day.[/Quote]

Pile of pish. Standard conspiracy moron, with a hard-on for Trump by the looks.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

0-9 hard as nails, send them to protect the supermarkets 

That's old data, there was a 10 month old died in Chicago on Saturday. They haven't confirmed if Covid19 was the ultimate cause of death yet (and I'm not sure if they will) but the poor wee bugger had been diagnosed with it.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-illinois-infant-death-6524040b-685b-4582-9ce0-63d0a0472359.html

As competitions reach the final stages and more rest days are needed, the pundits run out of topics. COVID-19 has really shown how infectious it is and its true nature by spreading like wild fire and turning (possibly) grown men to debate shopping and how it should be done, shit movies for children and bickering at each other like fish wives.

The only hero here is the moron who will not accept living in a facist state and makes his stand by.........posting inane shit online. Brother, I am with you. Get out there and make your real stand! Log off your computer and go out and challenge the government and police. This is only the flu and you will not be stopped!

Back to the tournament, Spain get themselves into medal contention but USA steam roll ahead doubling Chinas PB. Its as if they don’t even have to try!

The UK keep breaking further from the chasing pack but are finding it difficult to catch the main pack. They definitely need more people shopping in pairs if they want a real shot at a medal.

The well noted Sweden from yesterday are starting to show there strategy is the correct one as the number steadily increase.

Only three Asian nations in the top thirty. Absolutely disappointing show from this backward region. They must try harder.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

YTD 120,000 deaths globally from seasonal flu. If the death rate is 0.1%, that's 1.2m in the first 3 months of 2020.

Both infections and deaths currently more than Covid-19

Average yearly deaths are 500,000

No it doesn't. It isn't even for everyone right now.

Average yearly global deaths for seasonal flu are about 500,000.

The 'do nothing' model for Covid-19 for the UK is about 500,000. For the US it's 2.2 million. I've not seen models for other countries but it's clear that it must be in the tens of millions globally.

Ok.

A question for the “experts” on here (and mind I’m in Illinois).

I have to go babysit my granddaughter at weekends as my daughter works in sterile processing at a hospital on weekends.

This involves driving about 30 miles each way.

I then usually hang about to have some time with her as well, sometimes we eat together.

Am I a selfish b*****d criminal or does this come under “essential”?

5 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Ok.

I have to go babysit my granddaughter at weekends as my daughter works in sterile processing at a hospital on weekends.

I then usually hang about to have some time with her as well, sometimes we eat together.

It comes under, doing what you have to as safely and responsibly as you can. 

Edited by ayrmad

32 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Ok.

If nobody else can take care of your grand daughter.  I would say essential.

My cousin works as a steward on the Caledonian Sleeper, the staff have had it shite for long enough with the new trains being a disaster. They have been asking management for a few weeks now why they are still deemed as essential as passenger numbers have plummeted. Serco's response has been to reduce the number of trains, tonight's southbound to London from Edinburgh has a grand total of 3 passengers on it, the crew swapped trains at Lockerbie and found the northbound service had no passengers at all. It would actually cost Serco less to pay everybody to stay at home.

7 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How can there be a lag when people, well most people, have been social distancing? Nobody has been in pubs, restaurants, sports, concerts etc for over a week at least. Symptoms show around the 5-10 day mark and death follows relatively quickly after that 

I don't think that's right.  I'm sure there were reports that deaths were occurring a few weeks after first showing symptoms, which as you say could be 5-10 days after contracting the virus.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I don't think that's right.  I'm sure there were reports that deaths were occurring a few weeks after first showing symptoms, which as you say could be 5-10 days after contracting the virus.

How long do coronavirus symptoms last?

As with a lot of facts about the coronavirus there is a good deal of uncertainty around this. One detailed medical report of a waitress on the Diamond Princess cruise ship - a disease hotspot - showed that she displayed symptoms for 10 days. And a study of nine German patients with mild forms of the disease showed that they displayed symptoms for between eight and 11 days.

However, anecdotal reports on social media show that people can feel extreme fatigue for several days after more obvious symptoms such as cough and fever have subsided.

People with more severe forms of the disease will take longer to recover - a study of 138 patients who were hospitalised in China showed that some patients were in hospital for up to two weeks, although the average stay was 10 days. 

What is the incubation period?

Symptoms are thought to appear between two and 10 days after contracting the virus, but it may be up to 24 days.

Most people (about 80 per cent) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. However, around one out of every six people (16 per cent) becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing.

Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems, lung complaints or diabetes are more likely to develop serious illness.

3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Ok.

That is essential.

Ok.

You are in the same boat as me and Mrs B who will in the next couple of weeks inevitably need my MIL to come here and watch my kids. Maybe only once a week for a few hours, but it's going to happen.

Needs must I suppose. Mrs B is a genuine key worker. Me.... Well there was no doubt my work was ever going to be allowed to close, but it has zero to do with helping people so I feel personally conflicted about effectively breaking the lockdown, having observed it perfectly so far.