Coronavirus (COVID-19)

36 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Are cases starting to slow?
Italy on track for reaching the peak in a few days?

Gutter for the media and the naysayers who just want to predict constant doom and gloom. 

I have a theory.

The thing is actually much more contageous than thought, with a longer incubation periods, but much less deadly.

It ransacks it's way through a population way quicker than thought, with only the most vulnerable showing symptoms, never mind getting seriously ill.

The measures put in place are less effective than they seem.

Every country that didn't lockdown almost immediately has a curve on that graph that is essentially the same. Population sizes seem a bigger factor in case numbers than measures put in place, which loops back to my theory.

Given the lack of any sort of control in the US you would expect their line to be screaming upwards but even theirs is curving.

Interesting breakdown for age groups.

Should this lockdown need to go beyond 12 weeks, there's surely a very strong case for restricting it to certain age groups.

I don't mean to compare the disease / symptoms / contageousness itself to flu but Globally, for the population as a whole, even without filtering out underlying health conditions, it is no more deadly than flu for those under 50.

I'd also sugest, admittedly with no data to back this up, that with death rates so low, these age groups are typically not ecperiencing symptoms which require hospitalisation, meaning the strain on the NHS would be normal.

Screenshot_20200331-000216_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Should this lockdown need to go beyond 12 weeks, there's surely a very strong case for restricting it to certain age groups.

I don't mean to compare the disease / symptoms / contageousness itself to flu but Globally, for the population as a whole, even without filtering out underlying health conditions, it is no more deadly than flu for those under 50.

I'd also sugest, admittedly with no data to back this up, that with death rates so low, these age groups are typically not ecperiencing symptoms which require hospitalisation, meaning the strain on the NHS would be normal.

0-9 hard as nails, send them to protect the supermarkets 

Edited by D.A.F.C

Thoroughly recommend reading the first 10 pages or so of this thread if you are bored of Star Wars. A much more innocent time and some brilliantly misjudged hot takes as has been pointed out already.

@JTS98 is the Mystic Clegg of our time. 

FWIW my 4 year old daughter loves AOTC, especially the Colosseum bit (not sure if appropriate for 4yo but never mind) and has lots of Leah and Padme toy figures. Strong female role models for a young girl are a good thing.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

How many people get the flu each year? Death rates may be similar but overall cases probably not. 0.5% of 50,000 is still much less than 0.5% of 500,000, or a million even. 

Also this misses the point that a healthy person who can withstand the virus might just carry it around to someone who can't without ever displaying symptoms. Lockdown has to be for everyone.

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'd be flabbergasted if under 50's die near that rate from flu every year. 

There are far far smaller numbers than 0.2% or 0.4%.

11 minutes ago, GiGi said:

How many people get the flu each year? Death rates may be similar but overall cases probably not. 0.5% of 50,000 is still much less than 0.5% of 500,000, or a million even. 

Also this misses the point that a healthy person who can withstand the virus might just carry it around to someone who can't without ever displaying symptoms. Lockdown has to be for everyone.

YTD 120,000 deaths globally from seasonal flu. If the death rate is 0.1%, that's 1.2m in the first 3 months of 2020.

Both infections and deaths currently more than Covid-19

Average yearly deaths are 500,000

No it doesn't. It isn't even for everyone right now.

Edited by Todd_is_God