Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Folk on here still thinking this is a short term thing that doesn’t really affect them and well all be back to normal by June?
Spoiler

16212C34-CCA2-4C19-A2D4-9B64D4F07DC6.gif.4be3e151c2c0c4b5fac8991ab95f2462.gif

It's obvious that normality is a long way away, but beginning to loosen restrictions after the initial 3 months would be no surprise whatsoever. The tories dont care about numbers of dead. At the moment where they feel the NHS can cope ok, stuff starts going back at the fastest rate possible without returning to risk of overwhelming.

Someone already posted on here that if this crisis was 100s of 000s of people dying but in such a way as the NHS ran consistently at 80%, it would be business as usual

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Testing should be done at home or away from the hospitals, ideally near a doctors surgery or facilitated by trained people like the army.

And then we quarantine loads of a- symptomatic NHS staff who test positive, thus putting the NHS under more strain? 

54 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

January? Hyperbole really is in full swing 

They will be making contingency plans in case social distancing is still in place for the start of the first semester of next year (September). It would be hard to teach university classes with social distancing in place, and it would be daft to wait until August and then go "oh shit".

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

They will be making contingency plans in case social distancing is still in place for the start of the first semester of next year (September). It would be hard to teach university classes with social distancing in place, and it would be daft to wait until August and then go "oh shit".

Correct.

They do nothing. "Why don't they do something."

They do something. "That's a ridiculous overreaction."

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Correct.

They do nothing. "Why don't they do something."

They do something. "That's a ridiculous overreaction."

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. 

Sweden has so far pursued the most liberal strategy in dealing with Covid19, which is based on two principles: Risk groups are protected and people with flu symptoms stay at home. „If you follow these two rules, there is no need for further measures, the effect of which is only marginal anyway,“ said chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell. Social and economic life will continue normally. The big rush to hospitals has so far failed to materialize, Tegnell says.

1 minute ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Sweden has so far pursued the most liberal strategy in dealing with Covid19, which is based on two principles: Risk groups are protected and people with flu symptoms stay at home. „If you follow these two rules, there is no need for further measures, the effect of which is only marginal anyway,“ said chief epidemiologist Anders Tegnell. Social and economic life will continue normally. The big rush to hospitals has so far failed to materialize, Tegnell says.

But before you develop these "flu symptoms" you run around for a week or so infecting everyone who crosses your path.

10 minutes ago, trainspotter said:

I'd be hugely surprised if some level of disobedience hasn't kicked in after a matter of weeks rather than months. The first day that the temperature is forecast to hit 15 degrees plus is going to see pre-arranged gatherings in any available open space.  With carry-outs naturally.

Yes, there were a few dissenters in the Supermarket queue this morning, having said that I can see the points some of them were making regarding "double standards".

Basically we had a one in one out in operation in Tesco and this meant a 20 minute wait in the car park before entering the store. There were also some half wits who were "distancing" by about 50 feet instead of six feet and this was causing even more annoyance to people, however what a few people were telling me was that they were still working as were told they were "key workers" (similar to myself), but in their case they work in a local mill. I found it strange that they were "key workers" working in a mill but it's because they make the nets for the fishing industry and have been deemed to be extremely important to the economy, so work carries on.

The bottom line here is that lots and lots of people are still working daily and many are working in low paid and unskilled posts, however they feel like Mon - Fri nobody cares about their welfare or their families safety but at the weekend when they finally get time off to relax they're unable to do anything at all even though the rest of the week they're working together, travelling together and eating together without a second look as lots of the "distancing rules" just aren't feasible in real life.

We all know the reasons WHY the Gov have introduced the lockdown rules but for people still working in the front line it's not quite as simple and easy to understand as some of you seem to think.

Personally I believe they've every right to be annoyed, frustrated and downright angry about how this is all panning out.

On 18/03/2020 at 18:12, Kejan said:

@Menzel You live in Czechia don't you? Seems there could be (although, a week old Tweet) free money for you?

Heh, just saw this now I doubt that would be free - it's about £250! 

Italy has reported 97,689 infections and 10,779 deaths so far, but on Sunday said the number of confirmed cases had increased by only 5.4% in the past 24 hours and deaths had decreased by about 10% a day since Friday.

Hopefully, this is the turning point for Italy.  People in Italy will struggle if they have to stay indoors through the summertime. It will be too hot.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I understand the basic point, and i think most folk do now.

But it's the clear statistical evidence that will hopefully keep more people from believing this toxic, right wing shit.

Noble sentiments but sadly misguided. 

Most folk understand nothing and will be not ever be convinced by statistics. 

What you need is celebrity endorsement