Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I agree about the hills. But the bit about going round the block is rubbish; you can't exercise in a garden for 3 months, and it would be really irresponsible to try to do that with children. I'd cause less risk by driving 2 miles to the country park and walking well away from people, or going to the big football pitch and playing ball with my kid.

The First Minister and the CMO were specifically asked about driving for exercise on Friday. The FM only said to exercise as close to home as you can, that what they wanted to avoid were scenes that we had at beauty spots and that police would be sympathetic.
The Chief Medical Officer said:
"We can't emphasise enough how important especially at this time that exercise is very good both for your physical health but also for your mental health and wellbeing, and for everyone to get an opportunity to do at least something outside. The risks really of someone has the virus and isn't aware, they're living in their own household, of them transmitting to others is why we've put the social distancing measures in so hence the exercise to be taken in your own household group and stay away from others if you meet others while out walking.
"Travelling in a car, again within your own household group, you're not any more or less likely to become infected. And I think as the First Minister has said one of the things we really want to stay away from is crowds at particularly busy beaches, hills, parks, and we did see that in the good weather and so to some extent that discouraging of travelling to particular spots that are well known, we really wouldn't want people mingling there. Because that risk of a big spread from one or two people who are infected amongst a big group, they go home to their households, and that exponential spread that we're really really trying to avoid."

I think that's very clear that driving to exercise is definitely justifiable.

You cant exercise in a garden for 3 months ? I've two sons and no dogs. Plenty things we can do in the garden. Course I can exercise in the garden .
I walk to work and back so that's my exercise.

I could take my kids out for a walk.....to the local shops and back.

Kids are still going to play parks and doing there thing ( live in a scheme and its changed but plenty kids playing with neighbours kids )

Really irresponsible?

5 minutes ago, Qos91 said:

If the lockdown were to get stricter, and nobody was allowed out for exercise or to walk dogs, then what do people do with no garden? Do they live in a house covered in piss and shit just to avoid fines?
I've read that South Africa already have these restrictions in place. Would like to know how that would work.

That wouldn't and quite frankly couldn't happen, if it did, then you WOULD have anarchy, not to mention people dying of starvation.

As said previously, it's not an airborne disease so the whole point of social distancing is to avoid contact with others where humanely possible and stop / slow the spread. There's really no rationale to have people locked in their homes 24 /7 and so long as the majority use their common sense then that really is all that we can hope for.

As we stand just now, the majority of transmissions will occur at Hospitals, Supermarkets, Chemists and Workplaces, all of which are deemed to be legal and necessary by our Government, so I think people should be clear on this before blaming big Rab up the cul de sac for walking his dug twice a day or getting all uptight over Jimmy next door washing his car in his driveway.

It should be added that the UK has a population of over 60 million so if there's the odd fuckwit and his or her mates making the news, then that really is quite a good outcome considering the other 59 million 999,000 are obviously adhering to the advice.

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Kids are still going to play parks and doing there thing ( live in a scheme and its changed but plenty kids playing with neighbours kids )

Really irresponsible?

This is, isnt it?

Kids aren't immune, and they do spread it.

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

You cant exercise in a garden for 3 months ? I've two sons and no dogs. Plenty things we can do in the garden. Course I can exercise in the garden .
I walk to work and back so that's my exercise.

I could take my kids out for a walk.....to the local shops and back.

Really irresponsible?

I'm going to take the advice of the Chief Medical Officer over that of someone who thinks a kid can get enough exercise in a back garden, thanks.

You do know your car can't catch Covid-19, nor are you more likely to spread it because you're a couple of miles from home, right?

BTW, kids absolutely should not be going to playparks - that's already been stated very clearly. The risk of transmission through the surfaces they touch is an obvious problem.

6 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Guaranteed the people on here complaining about the fascists trying to steal their freedom are the same crusty losers who have zero social life and no reason to go over the door even during normal times.

2077465061_tenor(4).gif.eb28cbea646f2b622b0183f3d1e397e9.gif

Most of us can only go by personal observation.  I am seeing a significant drop in ‘social interaction’ where I live.  The streets are far quieter, people out walking are for the most part keeping their distance, and most folk seem to be limiting their shopping trips.

There are exceptions, but if the objective is to minimise contact by 50% I think we are well on our way to seeing this happen.

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

the same crusty losers who have no reason to go over the door even during normal times.

I am a crusty loser. Why climb over a door when you can open it and walk through the gaping hole it presents? 

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Guaranteed the people on here complaining about the fascists trying to steal their freedom are the same crusty losers who have zero social life and no reason to go over the door even during normal times.

Not at all. I think these measures are totally justified. 

41 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Correct. There’s clearly going to have to be a complete shutdown of public parks too.

How does it help matter to have us all passing on pavements instead, none of which are more than 2 metres wide?

Closing parks would only make things worse, and it serves no purpose at all.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'm going to take the advice of the Chief Medical Officer over that of someone who thinks a kid can get enough exercise in a back garden, thanks.

You do know your car can't catch Covid-19, nor are you more likely to spread it because you're a couple of miles from home, right?

BTW, kids absolutely should not be going to playparks - that's already been stated very clearly. The risk of transmission through the surfaces they touch is an obvious problem.

Isn’t the government advice that we should stay local?  FWIW I think the car restriction is a bit bizarre as going for a drive even without a walk might be a good way to get out of the house and avoid contact with others.  Nonetheless it’s surely what we are being told to do.

Surely all of that only goes to prove they are a couple of weeks behind the UK. Probability is they will be in our position soon enough. What's the point of trying to "prove" to yourself virtually every expert and world leader is wrong. We are where we are, this is what's happening whether you approve or not. Really struggling to see you point here. No amount of your cut and paste stuff is going to change things, utterly futile behaviour.

Deaths per million of population in Sweden, where there is no lockdown, bars and restaurants still open, sits at just under 11
Its 18 in the UK

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Isn’t the government advice that we should stay local?  FWIW I think the car restriction is a bit bizarre as going for a drive even without a walk might be a good way to get out of the house and avoid contact with others.  Nonetheless it’s surely what we are being told to do.

Sure, but they specifically avoided defining what local is, and they near-as-dammit said driving to exercise is fine as long as you follow all the social distancing rules.

My rule-of-thumb is a distance I could walk if I had to, like if the car broke down. I drive 2.1 miles up to Beecraigs and there's absolutely no way there's anything wrong, from any perspective, about it.

My patience with the self-appointed guardians of rules they've made, have no basis in epidemiology and are not what the authorities are saying up has completely worn out.

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That wouldn't and quite frankly couldn't happen, if it did, then you WOULD have anarchy, not to mention people dying of starvation.

As said previously, it's not an airborne disease so the whole point of social distancing is to avoid contact with others where humanely possible and stop / slow the spread. There's really no rationale to have people locked in their homes 24 /7 and so long as the majority use their common sense then that really is all that we can hope for.

As we stand just now, the majority of transmissions will occur at Hospitals, Supermarkets, Chemists and Workplaces, all of which are deemed to be legal and necessary by our Government, so I think people should be clear on this before blaming big Rab up the cul de sac for walking his dug twice a day or getting all uptight over Jimmy next door washing his car in his driveway.

It should be added that the UK has a population of over 60 million so if there's the odd fuckwit and his or her mates making the news, then that really is quite a good outcome considering the other 59 million 999,000 are obviously adhering to the advice.

image.jpeg.cd69574f4c3e62aa748ce5491848a158.jpeg