Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There's a clear difference between buying some chicken to chuck in the freezer and getting 90 toilet rolls.

I’m still struggling with the whole toilet roll thing.  I imagine a 12 pack of toilet roll would last a ‘standard’ household for quite a while.*  It’s bizarre.

* deliberately avoiding specifics.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Think the people like me who just bought a bit more than usual each time I went out did as much damage as the mass bog roll hoarders. I've got enough in now to last a nuclear winter. Mind you I started in the lead up to Brexit.

Same here.

Sweden's not so different.

'Each person has a heavy responsibility'
On the roads in Sweden, things are noticeably quieter than usual. Stockholm's public transport company SL says it saw passenger numbers fall by 50% on subway and commuter trains last week.

Polls also suggest almost half of Stockholmers are remote working.

Stockholm Business Region, a state-funded company that supports the city's global business community, estimates that rises to at least 90% in the capital's largest firms, thanks to a tech-savvy workforce and a business culture that has long promoted flexible and remote working practices.

"Every company that has the possibility to do this, they are doing it, and it works," says its CEO Staffan Ingvarsson.

His words cut to the heart of the government's strategy here: self-responsibility. Public health authorities and politicians are still hoping to slow down the spread of the virus without the need for draconian measures.

There are more guidelines than strict rules, with a focus on staying home if you're sick or elderly, washing your hands, and avoiding any non-essential travel, as well as working from home.

Sweden has so far reported nearly 3,500 cases of the virus and 105 deaths.
"We who are adults need to be exactly that: adults. Not spread panic or rumours," Prime Minister Stefan Löfven said in a televised address to the nation last weekend.

"No one is alone in this crisis, but each person has a heavy responsibility."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52076293

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Seemingly he saw it posted on fb and drive there specifically to take the video and drove straight back. He didn't get out his car. Bit davie weir and not exactly Sterling behaviour but more highlighting the problem than contributing to it imo. 

He is absolutely part of the problem. Everyone is expected to stay at home. There are no exceptions on the list for people to leave their homes to take pictures of other people not staying at home. What is he going to achieve with that video?

35 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Plenty of c***s doon the Strathy this afternoon parking up on the kerb, walking their dogs, not following social distancing guidelines, generally being arseholes. Someone just posted a video of it on Hamilton news stand. Pretty gutting to see tbh, sitting in the house as I have been for 2 weeks believing I'm doing my bit and were all in this together etc 

What is the rate of transmission of CV between individuals walking past each other outside?

The pizza and garlic breads are very, very good. The meatballs too. Not just in a ‘good for a frozen food’ way either. Genuinely good.

Aye there are hidden gems and some proper muck in farmfoods. I found the same with aldi and lidl - certain things are identical or even better, but some are still a bit ropey.
A detailed comparison between this and the 2009 swine flu epidemic if anyone's interested. 
https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-what-the-2009-swine-flu-pandemic-can-tell-us-about-the-weeks-to-come-134076
Very interesting.

I think the swine flu and bird flu scares clearly impacted the early strategy here. Both were hyped up quite severely as possible major pandemics but in the end were relatively mild (in the UK anyway, as far as i can remember).

At some point it became clear that this was not a drill, and it's looking like our government left that a bit too late.

6 minutes ago, superbigal said:
5 hours ago, WATTOO said:
In breaking news, the Mr Whippy Ice cream van has just appeared !!!

I thought single fag and bags of weed selling was currently banned.

No, ice cream vans have a wafer.

Just back from Asda in Inverness and it was pretty well stocked. They even had some bog roll which was a pleasant surprise. 

Plenty of hand sanitiser and soap too.  This, sort of, lockdown at least gives stores a fighting chance. 

12 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

He is absolutely part of the problem. Everyone is expected to stay at home. There are no exceptions on the list for people to leave their homes to take pictures of other people not staying at home. What is he going to achieve with that video?

Fair fucks mate. Within about half an hour the polis were down shutting the park and getting the rockets tae f**k. In this case he did achieve something, although I do agree with what you're saying to an extent. 

We’ve been pretty steady at around two thirds of where Italy was 2 weeks ago for about a week now

Following the same trend will see excess deaths due to coronavirus reach approaching 40% of the excess deaths caused by the flu in 14/15 and 99/00.

Yeh, coronavirus is nothing like the flu

It’s less deadly and it’s not killing children