Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Cute to see forum white noise like yourself trying to pop up with a contribution. x

I remember when I first started posting here. Your location read 'All major multiplexes near you'. I feel the shift to 'The Box Office' is a good metaphor for the gradual loss of your subtlety and transition into self-parody. It's like a sitcom that should have been cancelled four years ago. Honestly, it's a bit sad. 

I did enjoy 'forum white noise' however. Focus on your ability to turn a phrase. It could be your redemption. 

10 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/first-working-nhs-surgeon-dies-from-coronavirus

Doddery old c***s with shoogly hands aren't usually allowed to be transplant surgeons. 

The guy was a retired transplant surgeon who was volunteering in emergency care.

Tragic and they may have to think about where they place older doctors/nurses. 

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Aye i get that this has to be the advice but jeez it's pretty tiny statistical risks when you're looking at reducing accidents (which will already be massively reduced due to the quiet roads). But i understand that the government have no other option, mainly because too many folk act like c***s and take the piss.

I'm also really surprised that anyone is waiting in a queue for a supermarket (of more than a few people).

The wee shops are all very well stocked and there's almost always more than one supermarket within 15 mins or so. My missus saw a pretty big queue in asda and so just went to tesco instead. No queue. If tesco had one she'd have went to a local shop.

Is it also still the policy to avoid the online deliveries unless you really need it? Seems like they're swamped, and I hope that (but doubt it) they'll be dealing with vulnerable groups as a priority.

Yes, the local shops appear to be the best bet just now. Our local Tesco actually has very few product lines and the smaller local shops seem to have more variety and  also a better selection of fresh food, not to mention they're still getting daily deliveries of fresh bakery goods.

There also seems to be a lot of people working under the misapprehension that the Supermarkets are all fully stocked first thing each morning as the queues on opening are ridiculous, of course there's quite a few disappointed people when they come across the mother hubbard shelves.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

So do you support a similar lockdown being imposed at the start of every winter flu season? Given that all of the above arguments apply equally to that epidemic as well.

Does the winter flu kill as many people or have the potential to as Coronavirus? That comment seems to me to be a desperate attempt at arguing with someone for the sake of arguing or do you genuinely believe that they should be treated the same way?

Just now, virginton said:

So do you support a similar lockdown being imposed at the start of every winter flu season? Given that all of the above arguments apply equally to that epidemic as well.

The logic extends to banning alcohol, tobacco and fast-food. Saves lives and helps the NHS so we obviously must do it....

There would probably be a bigger outcry about that than not being able to go outside!

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Inverclyde should be shut down to the rest of humanity you cretin

I'm surprised at how poorly folk are grasping what is happening and why. 

If the government could get through this with 100,000 deaths while the NHS ticked along at 80 or 90 percent it would. 

Folk are just choosing not to take in what the Jason Leitch's of this world are saying. 

We need a Lockdown During A Pandemic for Dummies. 

Edited by ayrmad

I'm not having a dig here, genuine question.

But why are they discouraging driving somewhere to get exercise?

I understand shutting all access to hot spots but surely getting away a bit and not having any contact with anyone in the countryside isn't bad?

The roads are very very quiet so it's not about keeping roads clear.

Is it all about the virus possibly being in your car? I'd say that was an extension of your house.

If you have an accident when driving somewhere to get some exercise would the insurance companies cover you?
Personal experience knows that they will try anything to not have to payout and could argue that it is not an essential journey and you should not be in the car!

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

Flu jabs have a piss-poor record of effectiveness from year to year and the flu virus can contribute to tens of thousands of deaths in a bad year, novel virus or not:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/highestnumberofexcesswinterdeathssince19992000/2015-11-25

It is absolutely correct then to discuss why, say, the 48,000 excess deaths in England/Wales alone during the 1999/00 winter alone was met with not even the slightest attempt at social distancing measures, whereas OMG NEW VIRUS must shut everything down until it all goes away. Right now that's almost certainly the best response but at some point in the near future a rational cost-benefit analysis is going to have to kick in again. This is just not sustainable for the months on end that some health experts want to keep it in place, from both an economic and behavioural standpoint.

I don't remember them having to postpone cancer treatments in 1999/00, or 2009. As has been said, it's far more about the rate of infection than the death toll.

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Does the winter flu kill as many people or have the potential to as Coronavirus?

Yes it does. Literally tens of thousands have been killed in the UK as a result of a mere 'seasonal' flu outbreak on several occasions: 1958-59; 1967-68; and much more recently 1999-00 and 2008-09. That's not an exclusive list either.

That comment seems to me to be a desperate attempt at arguing with someone for the sake of arguing or do you genuinely believe that they should be treated the same way?

Nice try but it's actually a test to see whether your argument actually stands up to the slightest bit of scrutiny when applied to another very serious illness: so answer the question please. Should we have a full economic and social shutdown during a flu epidemic and if not, why not? 

Edited by vikingTON

36 minutes ago, philpy said:

My neighbours and another neighbour from 4 doors up are painting a fence. Now 4 other family members, including 2 kids, have decided to visit "because its a nice day". They just don't fucking get it.

What nationality are these people before I decide how I feel about this?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Accusing someone else of drug taking with a clock like yours is fairly bold tbqh.

It's really not an accusation given the fact that he admitted that he was a junkie and had a meltdown about 'only' getting £400 a week in furloughed pay to cover his 'expenses'. I don't think we need Columbo on the case to wrap this one up.

You asked a question and I and others answered it genuinely. It's not because "too many folk act like c***s and take the piss". You're either purposely ignoring the replies to you or you're incredibly dense.
Do you set out to come across as a total arsehole?

I read all the replies, including yours, and if you'd read my post carefully i agreed that the government advice has to be as it is. They have no other option.

Nothing was ignored, i was just expressing the opinion that this very specific advice about driving somewhere remote is very weak in terms of statistical effect.

But i wasn't even replying to you in that post and yet you have to jump in and be a c**t? Seriously chief, have a think about how you're coming across.