Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

'We all have to stay in the house because some people were RUINING IT FOR EVERYONE ' is as specious an argument as the 'panic buyers caused supermarkets to run out of stock'. The government was always going to impose a lockdown in the same way that the inability of the supply chain to meet demand was always going to lead to shops running out of bog roll.

Less than seven days in and people are already hunting for individual scapegoats - fuelled of course by social media and the tabloid press - and acting like the best shills an authoritarian regime could ever hope for. Another twelve weeks of this is not going to be pretty.

It's typical middle class snobbery. 

Driving out to a loch with the golden retriever = fine

Boys on a scheme playing football = spawn of Satan

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

So, let me get this straight, You honestly believe that Our TORY Government are quite happy to destroy our economy and put us straight into a recession just so they can keep people in the house for a couple of weeks ?

Can you explain why ?

What's their motivation ?

What is the motivation of almost every Government in the world ?

The post you’ve quoted explains it

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

So, let me get this straight, You honestly believe that Our TORY Government are quite happy to destroy our economy and put us straight into a recession just so they can keep people in the house for a couple of weeks ?

Can you explain why ?

What's their motivation ?

What is the motivation of almost every Government in the world ?

Don't give him the pleasure, he is at it.

It's a no win situation for the government tbf, if they allow a few to do it then everyone will.
On the other hand I went out for cycle along a local bike track and it was mobbed with people walking dugs (extending leads should be banned), just out walking and other cyclists.  So local areas are being filled while more remote areas are empty.

Aye i get that this has to be the advice but jeez it's pretty tiny statistical risks when you're looking at reducing accidents (which will already be massively reduced due to the quiet roads). But i understand that the government have no other option, mainly because too many folk act like c***s and take the piss.

I'm also really surprised that anyone is waiting in a queue for a supermarket (of more than a few people).

The wee shops are all very well stocked and there's almost always more than one supermarket within 15 mins or so. My missus saw a pretty big queue in asda and so just went to tesco instead. No queue. If tesco had one she'd have went to a local shop.

Is it also still the policy to avoid the online deliveries unless you really need it? Seems like they're swamped, and I hope that (but doubt it) they'll be dealing with vulnerable groups as a priority.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Aye i get that this has to be the advice but jeez it's pretty tiny statistical risks when you're looking at reducing accidents (which will already be massively reduced due to the quiet roads). But i understand that the government have no other option, mainly because too many folk act like c***s and take the piss.

You asked a question and I and others answered it genuinely. It's not because "too many folk act like c***s and take the piss". You're either purposely ignoring the replies to you or you're incredibly dense.

Edited by Marshmallo

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Yet despite the flu jab, nearly 500 extra people in the UK died every day in the winter of 14/15 from flu over and above the normal average flu deaths

The flu has various strains, which is why flu shots differ from year to year. 

Depends on the type of test. If it's an anti-body test it can determine that someone has had it and can get back to work. The widely held thought is you can't catch this strain again.

Several cases in Asia of people catching it twice that would dispel that widely held thought. Not enough evidence either way, but would suggest it is possible if the scenario has occurred.

Widespread testing would be effective if used as a method of 'block clearing', where you took areas at a time to eradicate the virus and move on. Would need serious quarantine and closed borders. Generally that is how South Korea had been effective as well as other places out this way.

The countries that have acted quickly and with a no shit attitude have faired the best.

It's interesting to see how the lockdown affects different people on here. Some sporadic weapons like Jeremiah Cole pop up and post that worst sort of bullshit - the sneering hints at a conspiracy that don't say it's all a lie and that you're stupid for thinking it. Some perpetual weapons like viking TON post the same arrogant nonsense clearly under the misapprehension that it's 2011 and he has any sort of reputation worth paying attention to. Some recently broken by banned Liverpool fans weapons like Marshmallo hound a select few constantly. None of it really helps any of the discourse, but then none of us have anything better to do.

Me, I've started giving bennett green dots. Anything is possible. Might go out and lick some door handles to put myself out of my misery. 

Just now, aaa said:

This isn't influenza though,that's why there are flu jabs every year.This is a virus,a new one.

Flu jabs have a piss-poor record of effectiveness from year to year and the flu virus can contribute to tens of thousands of deaths in a bad year, novel virus or not:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/highestnumberofexcesswinterdeathssince19992000/2015-11-25

It is absolutely correct then to discuss why, say, the 48,000 excess deaths in England/Wales alone during the 1999/00 winter alone was met with not even the slightest attempt at social distancing measures, whereas OMG NEW VIRUS must shut everything down until it all goes away. Right now that's almost certainly the best response but at some point in the near future a rational cost-benefit analysis is going to have to kick in again. This is just not sustainable for the months on end that some health experts want to keep it in place, from both an economic and behavioural standpoint.

It's interesting to see how the lockdown affects different people on here. Some sporadic weapons like Jeremiah Cole pop up and post that worst sort of bullshit - the sneering hints at a conspiracy that don't say it's all a lie and that you're stupid for thinking it. Some perpetual weapons like viking TON post the same arrogant nonsense clearly under the misapprehension that it's 2011 and he has any sort of reputation worth paying attention to. Some recently broken by banned Liverpool fans weapons like Marshmallo hound a select few constantly. None of it really helps any of the discourse, but then none of us have anything better to do.
Me, I've started giving bennett green dots. Anything is possible. Might go out and lick some door handles to put myself out of my misery. 
What a beautiful summary.

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Cute to see forum white noise like yourself trying to pop up with a contribution. x

From a simple common sense test a lockdown makes sense. I don’t think you have to have an in depth grasp of how viruses travel to grasp it. It’s impossible to quantify how many more people could die but if there’s any chance that more people could die then why not do it. I think if you live in a built up urban area then the exercise per day should begin to be restricted if it can’t be done safely. If urban areas are too busy that people cannot exercise without coming into close contact with others then it shouldn’t be happening, simple as that. People say things such as what if I go out to a rural area etc but you can’t have some doing that and not others and it’s self entitled to think otherwise. I don’t think you can trust people to do it safely and unless there’s one hundred percent certainty then just why take the chance. How many more people contracting the virus would still be worth it for people not to be in lockdown? 

Just now, ScottishZizou said:

From a simple common sense test a lockdown makes sense. I don’t think you have to have an in depth grasp of how viruses travel to grasp it. It’s impossible to quantify how many more people could die but if there’s any chance that more people could die then why not do it. I think if you live in a built up urban area then the exercise per day should begin to be restricted if it can’t be done safely. If urban areas are too busy that people cannot exercise without coming into close contact with others then it shouldn’t be happening, simple as that. People say things such as what if I go out to a rural area etc but you can’t have some doing that and not others and it’s self entitled to think otherwise. I don’t think you can trust people to do it safely and unless there’s one hundred percent certainty then just why take the chance. How many more people contracting the virus would still be worth it for people not to be in lockdown? 

So do you support a similar lockdown being imposed at the start of every winter flu season? Given that all of the above arguments apply equally to that epidemic as well.