Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not having a dig here, genuine question.

But why are they discouraging driving somewhere to get exercise?

I understand shutting all access to hot spots but surely getting away a bit and not having any contact with anyone in the countryside isn't bad?

The roads are very very quiet so it's not about keeping roads clear.

Is it all about the virus possibly being in your car? I'd say that was an extension of your house.

As marshamllo pointed out it's the added risk of driving which is statistically the riskiest part of any outdoor activity.

Mountain  Rescue teams have explicitly told people not to go out as they can't guarantee a response in the event of an accident.

Whether it's a forest walk, hill walk or daunder round the local loch the terrain will increase the risk of injury.

Yes its minimal and yes you can roll your ankle in Aldi but it's all about doing everything to minimise the risk of putting pressure on public services at the moment 

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

My turn for a stupid question now.

What is widespread testing going to do other than tell you someone does or doesn't have it at that exact moment in time?

Depends on the type of test. If it's an anti-body test it can determine that someone has had it and can get back to work. The widely held thought is you can't catch this strain again.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

My turn for a stupid question now.

What is widespread testing going to do other than tell you someone does or doesn't have it at that exact moment in time?

It means they can get treatment potentially and they know not to go to the shops etc.

44 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

My mate who's a doctor told me to buy surgical masks of amazon early on in this. 10 for £8, they are cheap shit looking things, not had to go into a shop since they arrived but if I need to go to a supermarket I will.

They've been sold out every time I've looked, but I'll have another go, and didn't try early on. Got one I'm keeping for emergencies. The advice is different from country to country but sounds like of some marginal benefit particularly if you're in a medium to higher risk group and use them properly.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30134-X/fulltext

Just now, Marshmallo said:

It means they can get treatment potentially and they know not to go to the shops etc.

That is, they get isolated, and thus can be prevented from spreading it on.   The calculation is, I think, that each infected person

would spread it to  x people. Each of those X people would spread also to X people.  Take in to account the incubation period before symptoms become

obvious.....  So, if no testing, the infection spreads unnoticed..., till it bursts out, all over the place, and becomes exponential.  Public services overwhelmed.

People dying.  

Still no testing.

Edited by beefybake

1 minute ago, beefybake said:

That is, they get isolated, and thus can be prevented from spreading it on.   The calculation is, I think, that each infected person

would spread ot to  x people. Those people would spread also to X people.  Take in to account the incubation period before symptoms become

obvious.....  So, if no testing, the infection spreads without it being obvious..., till it bursts out, all over the place, exponentially. Public services overwhelmed.

People dying.  

Still no testing.

They believe that every person who has it would pass it on to 3 others on average with no isolation. Play out 10 iterations of people passing it on and 59,000 are infected.

6 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Scotland

1384 reported cases

+139

41 deaths

+1

However, the real figure is believed to tens of thousands because only those serious enough to be admitted to hospital are currently being tested.

54 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm not having a dig here, genuine question.

But why are they discouraging driving somewhere to get exercise?

I understand shutting all access to hot spots but surely getting away a bit and not having any contact with anyone in the countryside isn't bad?

The roads are very very quiet so it's not about keeping roads clear.

Is it all about the virus possibly being in your car? I'd say that was an extension of your house.

48 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If your car breaks down you need to call out emergency services. If you're in a crash it's a strain on the health service. If you need petrol you're touching the pump and going into the garage. If you roll your ankle climbing a hill then you need medical help.

All of these things are true when there's no coronavirus of course but just now we are being told we need to flatten the curve to assist the NHS. These points are all unlikely risks, but they are risks nonetheless. 

Emergency services have also come out and advised not to be driving out to these places to walk the dog etc too.

48 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Just a guess but I imagine that a few individuals driving around to get exercise is fine and no worse than running round the streets or parks around where you live.

You literally could not make this fucking shit up.

No wonder we're all having to stay in the fucking house.

would spread it to  x people. Each of those X people would spread also to X people.  Take in to account the incubation period before symptoms become
obvious.....  So, if no testing, the infection spreads unnoticed..., till it bursts out, all over the place, and becomes exponential.  Public services overwhelmed.
People dying.  
Still no testing.

10 people seems very specific but good to know.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

When I go back to work, me and Mrs B are going to be relying on childcare from grandparents. Not great, but no option. Hadnt really thought about it till today.

I’m glad that isn’t a decision I’m having to make just now