Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Moomintroll
Just been out for a walk.  Saw two old guys standing about three feet apart yapping; no wonder there’s talk about tougher restrictions.
Yer Da types are just not getting it, I spent most of yesterday chasing idiots up and down aisles telling them to follow social distancing to protect themselves. I really can't do anymore than I have done but fuckwits are still ignoring it or are to thick to follow basic, clear instructions.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
Just been out for a walk.  Saw two old guys standing about three feet apart yapping; no wonder there’s talk about tougher restrictions.

What talk is this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/28/boris-johnson-coronavirus-outbreak-will-get-worse

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I had my last morning at work yesterday for at least the next few weeks - although I'm not classed as a key worker, I'd been involved in something that fed through into that territory and was just tying up the loose ends.

Having seen the city centre I was quite hopeful that the message had been received - the place was empty and everyone who was there was observing social distancing - the train I got home was empty as well..only one other person in the carriage I was in.

Fast forward to the local main street when I got off at the other end...gaggles of pensioners and boomer types milling about aimlessly even though almost everything was shut.

It reminded me of Dawn of the Dead where the zombies show up at the mall just because.

Dont think that really reads as specific talk about the measures not being enough to me. It seems like a fairly generic letter reinforcing what's in place now.

Biggest problem I see in whats being said at the top level just now is folk starting to talk about not being complacent. You start talking about that when you are gettin results. If you start that talk now you probably lead folk into believing that the measures are working and encourage them to tailor them slightly to their own ends. If I were in charge I'd have bollocked whoever came with the complacency chat this early

4 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Anyone hear anything from Jason Leitch?  Seem they guy has went into hiding after his 5 minutes of fame.

Think he was on off the ball yesterday. Suppose you can only repeat the same mantra for so long, he's also an Airdrie supporter so needs binned.

27 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yer Da types are just not getting it, I spent most of yesterday chasing idiots up and down aisles telling them to follow social distancing to protect themselves. I really can't do anymore than I have done but fuckwits are still ignoring it or are to thick to follow basic, clear instructions.

After a few days at home I went for a walk in the park yesterday thinking it wouldn't be hard to stay well away from people. F***wits left, right and centre loitering around entrances and wee bridges and basically any pinch point they could find.

6 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Think he was on off the ball yesterday. Suppose you can only repeat the same mantra for so long, he's also an Airdrie supporter so needs binned.

Was he not in favour of the herd immunity shite that was happening until Oxford came up with some figures?

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

Was he not in favour of the herd immunity shite that was happening until Oxford came up with some figures?

Let's imagine for a second that he wasn't. I don't think we can blame someone in his position for sticking to the party line even if they disagree with it.

One of the worst things that could happen at a time like this would be for government and public officials to be seen to argue. It would cause people to simply stop believing anything they were told and would be a much bigger problem than going along with the party line while working behind the scenes waiting for a chance for it to change and change effectively.

Eroding trust in government at this time wouldn't be a smart move.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Let's imagine for a second that he wasn't. I don't think we can blame someone in his position for sticking to the party line even if they disagree with it.

One of the worst things that could happen at a time like this would be for government and public officials to be seen to argue. It would cause people to simply stop believing anything they were told and would be a much bigger problem than going along with the party line while working behind the scenes waiting for a chance for it to change and change effectively.

Eroding trust in government at this time wouldn't be a smart move.

Totally disagree.  It’s one thing for politicians to put a spin on things, totally unacceptable for professionals to play along with them.

Guest Moomintroll
Anyone hear anything from Jason Leitch?  Seem they guy has went into hiding after his 5 minutes of fame.
Self isolating with a shit broadband connection imho, shame as he was fond of dishing out correct telts. Fake news round these parts however as SNP can never be bad.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Totally disagree.  It’s one thing for politicians to put a spin on things, totally unacceptable for professionals to play along with them.

It'll be happening in every country in the world just now. We've seen that experts in various countries have completely disagreed with each other, yet we're expected to believe that within governments they all have the same view and are on board with their local politicians?

That's extremely unlikely.

As long as they give out the appropriate general advice on keeping yourself and others healthy, then there's nothing to be gained by publicly undermining the message from your colleagues. Eventually people just won't listen to anything.

25 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

He did an hour long Q&A with YoungScot on Monday still posting lots of advice on Twitter, it's probably more that case that with daily press briefings the mainstream media don't need to interview experts in Government

3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It'll be happening in every country in the world just now. We've seen that experts in various countries have completely disagreed with each other, yet we're expected to believe that within governments they all have the same view and are on board with their local politicians?

That's extremely unlikely.

As long as they give out the appropriate general advice on keeping yourself and others healthy, then there's nothing to be gained by publicly undermining the message from your colleagues. Eventually people just won't listen to anything.

Politicians and advisors are not “colleagues”.  Once professionals are appropriated by politicians to support them it becomes propaganda.  That is just as dangerous in a time of national crisis as at any other time.