Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Moomintroll

For some their mental health can’t just wait until “after”. So many people feel isolated as it is without not being able to go out as they usually do or see family/friends etc. I can see suicide rates going up dramatically the longer this goes on 

Sadly, I believe you are right. A lot of people have signed up to make calls to vulnerable people who are in isolation, yet those who have mental health issues are going to fall through the cracks there as it is not a physical problem.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't think the disease cares how fair it is on anyone tbh.

There will be a second wave, unless we stay under lockdown until we've found a vaccination which simply will not happen. We cannot just give up in a couple of weeks and carry on therefore that's the only solution.

I think the more data we get, the more we'll understand about how to get out of this. It's already clear that it's almost exclusively the old and the sick who are dying, so we need to plan for basically sheltering them for months. It would be ridiculous for everyone to be on lockdown for months.

5 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I really don’t understand how they can predict Spain’s “peak day” will have nearly a thousand more deaths than America’s peak day

That estimate from Tom Pike from Imperial College is the most ludicrous of many coming out the academic community at the moment. He's based his assumption on us following the path of Wuhan, seeing as we are in a 'lockdown,' without understanding what happened in Wuhan (they had a real lockdown). Wuhan got the reinfection rate down to 0.3. We won't get near that.

Edited by bendan

Serious question.
Is there an informed view as to whether the ‘herd immunity’ policy adopted at an early stage was the right one or was it totally misguided and we should have moved to ‘lockdown’ sooner?

Missed messages on that. We keep getting told that if you’ve had it you’re immune but only a vaccination programme can bring about herd immunity. The main aim is to not overwhelm the NHS.

1 hour ago, bendan said:

I think the more data we get, the more we'll understand about how to get out of this. It's already clear that it's almost exclusively the old and the sick who are dying, so we need to plan for basically sheltering them for months. It would be ridiculous for everyone to be on lockdown for months.

Correct. The total lockdown scenario is not a long term viability and never was. 

Medium to long term, once this is in control any outbreaks will happen in pockets. People showing symptoms will be tested and traced , those in contact with them will be covid tested and antibody tested. Based on results, Individual workplaces or institutions will be closed periodically and government will use the scheme they have implemented to reimburse those affected. 

This will keep it isolated to smaller areas. It will also not spread through communities as quickly. Although herd immunity is some way away, it's very likely that several times more people in the country have had this either mildly or asymptomatically than has been reported. I saw the Scottish figure alone just last week being estimated at over 70000.

1 minute ago, Daydream said:

I can’t decide if I’m absolutely terrified of getting the virus or not the slightest bit concerned at all 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think everyone has or has had these conflicting feelings about it. The week before last I’m happy to admit I was pretty concerned, but from last week onward I’ve been feeling much less worried and almost wanting to catch the covid just to have it over and done with!

With no pubs, clubs, stadiums or general shops open hopefully were close to the peak of this crisis. Anyone showing symptoms in the coming days I would imagine were infected on or around Mother’s Day with a few exceptions. However I do not expect this lockdown to be lifted for another 6 weeks, and even then it’ll be slowly lifted.

The govt will probably bleed normality back in at such a rate as to keep the NHS near but not at capacity. When that will start, who knows but probably not long after the peak has shown itself on some clever graph, and also in line with increased testing capacity.

That's the key to all this. Once large scale testing is available the rush for normality will be on. The govt will have to temper it slightly of course. Large scale testing could turn this into a totally different conversation, allowing it to be managed through to vaccine availability.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

The govt will probably bleed normality back in at such a rate as to keep the NHS near but not at capacity. When that will start, who knows but probably not long after the peak has shown itself on some clever graph, and also in line with increased testing capacity.

That's the key to all this. Once large scale testing is available the rush for normality will be on. The govt will have to temper it slightly of course. Large scale testing could turn this into a totally different conversation, allowing it to be managed through to vaccine availability.

I think it is pretty much a formality at this point.

If normal life is to resume (which it will), testing on a massive scale will be key.

13 minutes ago, Daydream said:

I reckon we’ll be severely restricted until at least the end of May when the furlough scheme is currently extended to. We’ll likely get a stricter period of lockdown between times as well IMO.

We aren't severely restricted now. Govt needs to cut down on queues at supermarkets - don't understand why they can't ensure everyone gets their shopping delivered ( as happened in Wuhan I believe) or you have to book trips to the supermarket in advance 

Seems as the everyone was on the Gin last night, place just got a big grey cloud over it. Need a few +ves from the Covid 19.

As soon as we are allowed out to play there will be a massive rise in opportunities for getting yer hole.

A pint from a tap will be like manna from heaven.

Going to Cappielow will be like a visit to the Maracana.

Queing up will become a leisure pursuit.

1 minute ago, dirty dingus said:

Seems as the everyone was on the Gin last night, place just got a big grey cloud over it. Need a few +ves from the Covid 19.

As soon as we are allowed out to play there will be a massive rise in opportunities for getting yer hole.

A pint from a tap will be like manna from heaven.

Going to Cappielow will be like a visit to the Maracana.

Queing up will become a leisure pursuit.

That post could have been believable too....