Coronavirus (COVID-19)

That’s 3 people I know now died over this shitfest, getting real now 
Why does it take people you know die to realise it's real?

I have seen lots of similar shite online recently.

It's real. Nobody I know has died & It's fuckin real.

It's this attitude that the majority who are flouting and did flout rules take.

41 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I fear that if there is simply NO sign of relaxation, and the current level of lockdown is announced as going on for another three weeks or more, you’ll see civil disobedience. Probably organised through social media too. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least to see trouble on the streets in the capital. Not adverse to a bit of rioting down there, which in the past has seen copycat action in other English cities.

Frankly though, I don’t know what tomorrow might bring, never mind next week or next month.

Nah, so long as people have food to eat and TV and internet, I can't see unrest. 

My mate in Sydney has become a victim of this stupid virus - he phoned me blitzed last night to tell me his wife had papped him out after a blow out caused by being cooped up together 24/7. Online dating sites are going to make a killing after this. 

15 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

I won’t give the details, but it’s starting to hit home what’s coming. It seems to be giving people the jolt needed to behave and adhere to advice 

As posted previously, I was pissed off at myself not going into lockdown a week earlier, I'm into numbers and they haven't looked good for weeks. 

One couple have been in lockdown for 3 weeks with their own defib (a great Xmas present now), it took them 3 or 4 weeks to listen to their family, at least one of whom is a medical professional London. 

Edited by ayrmad

16 minutes ago, Vimto90 said:

Why does it take people you know die to realise it's real?

I have seen lots of similar shite online recently.

It's real. Nobody I know has died & It's fuckin real.

It's this attitude that the majority who are flouting and did flout rules take.

Calm doon, I’ve flouted f**k all 

11 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

As posted previously, I was pissed off at myself not going into lockdown a week earlier, I'm into numbers and they haven't looked good for weeks. 

One couple have been in lockdown for 3 weeks with their own defib (a great Xmas present now), it took them 3 or 4 weeks to listen to their family, at least one of whom is a medical professional London. 

Lockdown should have been earlier, Mother’s Day weekend was mental 

32 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The worldometer site breaks down the USA figures by state. NY state has 883 deaths, with the next highest of the other states being Washington on 189.  It shows how bad things are getting in NY and how far ahead of the rest of the country they are.

Those two states being on opposite sides of the country suggests there might not be an obvious pattern in the way it spreads in the U.K., after London which seems to be ahead of the rest of the country.

Volume of international traffic and public transport use, along with a high population density compared with the rest of the country, I  imagine. Far too easy to be in proximity to someone who's got it. 

Certainly in London's case, volumes of stupidity and not distancing to partly blame as well. There does also seem to be a. Secondary cluster in the West Midlands as well. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Week beginning the 13th of April it’s going to get really ugly here apparently.

That’s the predicted peak week, got a family member in the procurement side of the NHS who’s been told to strap in for then.

Why are predictions always 2 weeks away and by someone itk?

So far all have been wrong.

10 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Calm doon, I’ve flouted f**k all 

Lockdown should have been earlier, Mother’s Day weekend was mental 

You're right. But we only needed an actual lockdown because so many people were total wallopers. The only reason we ever need legislation restricting what we do is because too many people can't be trusted. 

8 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Certainly in London's case, volumes of stupidity and not distancing to partly blame as well. There does also seem to be a. Secondary cluster in the West Midlands as well. 

I see no reason not to think that London will be the UK's Lombardy.

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You're right. But we only needed an actual lockdown because so many people were total wallopers. The only reason we ever need legislation restricting what we do is because too many people can't be trusted. 

Like I said earlier tho, more lockdown isn't necessarily the answer, after a number of weeks you will reach a tipping point where it creates more problems than it solves,  there has to actually be a society left for survivors to return to  .

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I reckon we're in for several lockdowns over the next year or 18 months until we develop a vaccination, we develop herd immunity or the disease just fucks off (Not going to happen).

So pubs, restaurants, shops etc are just going to close numerous times over the next 18 months? How’s that fair for staff? Will they have to get Universal Credit etc each time if they’re on zero hour contracts. What about the self employed? 

Honestly cant see that happening at all

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Week beginning the 13th of April it’s going to get really ugly here apparently.

That’s the predicted peak week, got a family member in the procurement side of the NHS who’s been told to strap in for then.

13th Apr? So that’s about 20 days since the “lockdown” measures have been in place. Yet people say symptoms show within 5-14 days of exposure. Surely with the self isolating or social distancing measures in place it won’t be THAT bad here at that time 

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I see no reason not to think that London will be the UK's Lombardy.

Agreed. 96 out of today's 260 deaths (37%). It was always going to be more exposed versus the rest of the country, but it's running well ahead. 

We are in for a grim couple of weeks, I fear. 

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

So pubs, restaurants, shops etc are just going to close numerous times over the next 18 months? How’s that fair for staff? Will they have to get Universal Credit etc each time if they’re on zero hour contracts. What about the self employed? 

Honestly cant see that happening at all

I don't think the disease cares how fair it is on anyone tbh.

There will be a second wave, unless we stay under lockdown until we've found a vaccination which simply will not happen. We cannot just give up in a couple of weeks and carry on therefore that's the only solution.

Edited by Ludo*1

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-uk-lockdown-in-place-21773761

a “lockdown” here until June? Social distancing measures (no sports, gigs etc) until Autumn? That would be catastrophic in so many ways, not least for people’s mental health and also the economy. 

Don't think you're realising that everything else is secondary right now to saving as many lives as possible. We can focus on the economy and mental health after the primary goal has been achieved. The world is gonna be shite for a good period after this.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't think the disease cares how fair it is on anyone tbh.

There will be a second wave, unless we stay under lockdown until we've found a vaccination which simply will not happen. We cannot just give up in a couple of weeks and carry on therefore that's the only solution.

A second wave was always going to happen. We can’t live like this forever though. There’s an argument that a 3 or 4 month lockdown with even longer to wait for sports, cinema, gigs etc, would do even more harm to people than the actual coronavirus

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Don't think you're realising that everything else is secondary right now to saving as many lives as possible. We can focus on the economy and mental health after the primary goal has been achieved. The world is gonna be shite for a good period after this.

For some their mental health can’t just wait until “after”. So many people feel isolated as it is without not being able to go out as they usually do or see family/friends etc. I can see suicide rates going up dramatically the longer this goes on