Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I went shopping this morning, on my own as that's what's advised. As I left Lidl, the gendarmes had started checking would-be customers' papers.  I then went to Leclerc to get stuff I coudn't get in Lidl.   As I was leaving, they were just arriving to do the same. Some French probably think it's like wartime ID checks, although I doubt if many WW2 survivors are out shopping.

The only shortage I have seen is flour and that was only in one shop. Maybe a supply issue rather than panic buying.  Couldn't buy gardening stuff as it's 'non-essential'.  

By the time restrictions are lifted, it'll be too late for many gardening duties   A fallow year.

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

Took the wee one a walk today and there was a guy with kids doing football training in the park... some folk just don’t get it

Took the boys down the park for some training and some idiot was wandering about with a child. Some folk just don't get it 🤦‍♂️ 

Just a 50% survival rate in intensive care units.....

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-intensive-care-uk-patients-50-per-cent-survival-rate

All the completely zero mass testing comes home to roost......, by the time people are admitted to hospital they're just about

dead.   This 'underlying health condition' garbage cannot be allowed to be the glib, go to, explanation.

To offer a different perspective.  Migrant workers in India are being told to return to their towns and villages but the trains are being reduced/cancelled.

77B46B3D-DF1F-4259-B023-70D7479E2A43.jpeg.c35809defcfbfe21bba162758ed6b071.jpeg

Ukraine is shutting its border tomorrow, so the vast majority of the estimated 1m Ukrainians working in Poland are piling up at the border.

Anyway, good news from Italy!

I've checked today's stats and the daily change in cases in Savona province (Liguria) is -1.8%, so more people recovered today than tested positive.

A lot of the other provinces are showing no change and my territory, which was one of the first hit is only up 3.7%. Looking at the map it seems that a lot of the worst effected provinces like Lodi and Cremona are pretty much at their peak*. There are however a smattering posting increases of 30%.

*or perhaps their system's just overloaded and the elderly are just dying in the street and being shovelled into ditches without being logged.

4 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Just a 50% survival rate in intensive care units.....

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-intensive-care-uk-patients-50-per-cent-survival-rate

All the completely zero mass testing comes home to roost......, by the time people are admitted to hospital they're just about

dead.   This 'underlying health condition' garbage cannot be allowed to be the glib, go to, explanation.

There is no point in doing mass testing apart from to study transmission. If you test negative in the morning you can catch it in the afternoon so it's completely pointless.

Also if you go with the Scottish Government figures around 98% of people who get it don't need hospital care (which means the herd immunity idea should work). The people who are dying are elderly people with cancer, COPD and other illnesses. 

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There is no point in doing mass testing apart from to study transmission. If you test negative in the morning you can catch it in the afternoon so it's completely pointless.

Also if you go with the Scottish Government figures around 98% of people who get it don't need hospital care (which means the herd immunity idea should work). The people who are dying are elderly people with cancer, COPD and other illnesses. 

Two out of three of those apply to me! :o

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There is no point in doing mass testing apart from to study transmission.

What a moronic statement.   Mass testing, followed by isolation, or hospitalisation, and tracking contacts is what has enabled Tawan, S Korea

to keep the death toll barely into the hundreds.

FFS.

Instead, here, there is no testing until someone is so ill they fetch up in hospital. Grossly inadequate protection for medical staff.  The only testing is reserved

for those affluent enough to buy their own.

Different strokes for different folks but I'm not finding the same enjoyment in Mr Mongoose's parade of overweight, averagey-looking cockteases in pound shop Halloween costumes as others seem to be.

Unfortunately the outbreak has required me to find some different strokes of my own as the Turkish women's volleyball championship is on pause. No more 6'4" Zehra Gunes.ILqIbIueOlNJN-WNEzIDgLDXtPbwqBDeGk577nQiQZY.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Two out of three of those apply to me! :o

How old are you?  There must be a few of us on here who are in our ‘golden years’ and are at greater risk on age alone.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

Different strokes for different folks but I'm not finding the same enjoyment in Mr Mongoose's parade of overweight, averagey-looking cockteases in pound shop Halloween costumes as others seem to be.

Unfortunately the outbreak has required me to find some different strokes of my own as the Turkish women's volleyball championship is on pause. No more 6'4" Zehra Gunes.ILqIbIueOlNJN-WNEzIDgLDXtPbwqBDeGk577nQiQZY.jpeg

#TeamMongoose

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

How old are you?  There must be a few of us on here who are in our ‘golden years’ and are at greater risk on age alone.

I'm 67 so I'm not that old - it was the illnesses I was referring to.

Aye we've been hunkered down for basically the last fortnight, food etc has been got by stepdaughter/granddaughter/delivered. Prescriptions are also delivered. My wife is over 70 and has diabetes among other things. Our daughter is Downs, we all get the flu jab so on that basis alone we are all in the "at risk" category.

A few weeks ago if someone had told me I'd be able to knock one out to this thread I'd have told them they were sick in the head, but here we are. 

Eta: Well this appears to be an unfortunately situated post once I'd pressed the submit button. 

Edited by Dee Man

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Off topic but when you were 16 I bet 67 was regarded as pretty old.

When I was 16 I don't think I even knew anybody who was 67! (I probably did.) I thought my parents were pretty old and they'd have been in their 40s...

6 minutes ago, beefybake said:

What a moronic statement.   Mass testing, followed by isolation, or hospitalisation, and tracking contacts is what has enabled Tawan, S Korea

to keep the death toll barely into the hundreds.

FFS.

Instead, here, there is no testing until someone is so ill they fetch up in hospital. Grossly inadequate protection for medical staff.  The only testing is reserved

for those affluent enough to buy their own.

I think the difference is more likely to be that they actually stick rigidly to the lock down. We have a lock down where the majority of people still go out every day. 

I think the government is still going for herd immunity and it's the smart move as poorer nations are going to take a long time to get the virus under control, possibly years.