Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think he meant the NHS. I know that they used to run flu pandemic simulations at Ninewells for example.

Pretty sure the government never did any preparation for this sort of thing.

The NHS can only do what the politicians allow them to do.  Here's Jeremy Hunt....

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-jeremy-hunt-department-health-personal-protective-equipment-2521180

From reading elsewhere, IIRC, Donald Trump disbanded the US pandemic planning unit in his bonfire of public expenditure.

I wonder if the Tories, in effect, did the same ?

Imagine if this had all happened a few years ago before hi-speed broadband, multi-channel TV, social media, etc.

It would have been even more boring and far more difficult to get essential information distributed.

4 minutes ago, beefybake said:

The NHS can only do what the politicians allow them to do.  Here's Jeremy Hunt....

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-jeremy-hunt-department-health-personal-protective-equipment-2521180

From reading elsewhere, IIRC, Donald Trump disbanded the US pandemic planning unit in his bonfire of public expenditure.

I wonder if the Tories, in effect, did the same ?

Probably. They have been dismantling the NHS for years.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Imagine if this had all happened a few years ago before hi-speed broadband, multi-channel TV, social media, etc.

It would have been even more boring and far more difficult to get essential information distributed.

You must remember the Spanish flu outbreak, so what was it like then?

I walked into Greenock town centre today and it was a surreal experience. Nobody around. No cars. Nothing. There was the odd car before I reached the police station but that was it.

Tesco was SLIGHTLY busier than that, but barely anyone there too. 

My walk was to Gourock and it was DEAD there. Nobody at all. Again, just surreal.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You must remember the Spanish flu outbreak, so what was it like then?

Terrible.

That would have been better if the Spanish word for terrible was something other than terrible.

The first weekend will by Christmas freaky Friday x 10.

It's very weird seeing Perth city and all the surrounding roads virtually empty on a Saturday night. 
I suspect anyone who happens to be driving about any city centres or normally busy towns around the world will feel the same level of eeriness tonight. 
It's just hit me that I may not be in a pub mingling with my fellow humans for quite some time. Boozers are going to be rammed once this is over. 

40 minutes ago, steve55 said:

We need them in Scotland to deal with the Neds 

To offer a different perspective.  Migrant workers in India are being told to return to their towns and villages but the trains are being reduced/cancelled.

77B46B3D-DF1F-4259-B023-70D7479E2A43.jpeg.c35809defcfbfe21bba162758ed6b071.jpeg

At the risk of being accused of ‘Birthday Card Pish’ we are a million times better off than folk in developing countries.

That doesn’t excuse the torycunts and their austerity.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I was out my walk earlier and some p***k in his car peeped his horn at me and shook his head. What part of ONE exercise is allowed per day do people not understand 🙄

One finger salute given, I hope.

53 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Just go up to St Andrews for a round of the Old Course. £30 quid is positively cheap compared to the normal prices...

That’ll go well.... polis’ spot check on the road out of Cupar....

’Can you tell us where you’re going sir?’

’St Andrews’.

’For what purpose sir?’

’Erm, essential shopping?’

’Uh-huh. What sort of shopping sir?’

’36 Titelist ProV 1s’.

’I see. Where are you travelling from sir?’

’Eh, Cumbernauld.’

’Cumbernauld. Do you normally do essential shopping in a Pringle V-neck and Farah slacks sir?’

’All the time’.

’Can you open the boot please sir?’

’Do I have to?’

’Yes.... Is that a set of Callaway Big Berthas sir?’

’Nope. Taylor Made’.

’Very good sir, enjoy your round.... next!’