Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 24/03/2020 at 13:10, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

It’s not even letting me login at the minute. c***s.

Any joy with this Bonksy? Easycunt are still sending me emails about my flight as if I haven’t asked for a refund despite me doing it online. On the app it’s still saying refund being processed but no money. Come on Stelios you big hairy b*****d, gies ma £300.

17 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Thanks, from experience I’ve always been under the impression that when it comes to health and safety it was black and white. If it’s not safe then stop. I’ve seen people at work stopping due to a dodgy trailing cable or low hanging piece of roof. This is 100 times worse and not even being discussed.

As far as I’m concerned it’s a total breach of contract and also going against government advice. It’s also putting external workers at risk. I cannot keep apart from colleagues at work due to my job. For them to run a risk assessment and pass it is a total nonsense.

Im not the only one being asked but it’s not just about me this decision could kill people and clog up the health system meaning others in need of care cannot get treatment. If the cases rise and rise then if, hopefully not, hospitals are overrun then I’m claiming breach of contract and it’s up to them to respond. They also have previous for lying about the snow storm and making out that hr didn’t tell them soon enough when they did, just for one days extra work. In a way I’m glad because this finally settles any doubt about just how bad they are and backing bullying management and avoiding sexism and racism complaints. It’s true what they say about showing true colours in a crisis.

Sorry to be blunt but if it's as clear as you say then don't go in and seek a claim for constructive dismissal. 

11 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

The amount of shit he's getting from the pro trump crowd on twitter is just grim. Those arseholes completly buy into all his lies and tantrums and will return him as president regardless of what state the country is left in.

11 hours ago, olliethedug said:

Why is it if one of your family shows symptoms you have to be isolated for 14 days but NHS workers who have been caring for patients without PPE, then said patients test positive for Coronavirus the NHS workers don’t have to isolate unless the themselves show symptoms?

It's simple enough - who would treat patients who need treatment?

Your question is a bit like asking why firefighters have to go into burning buildings but the rest of us don't.

As another who risks my life 160 days a year offshore to satisfy the UK energy demands, I demand a round of applause from each and everyone of you plebs.

Not really, Johnnydun is a complete roaster.

ETA... the piper alpha reference, not sure where to start with that one.

Edited by MONKMAN

3 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

As another who risks my life 160 days a year offshore to satisfy the UK energy demands, I demand a round of applause for each and everyone of you plebs.

Not really, Johnnydun is a complete roaster.

PAY OFFSHORE WORKERS NURSES’ WAGES!!!

35 minutes ago, hk blues said:

So you did a dry run of what it would be like working from home in a facility already set up for such a trial? Didn't anyone wonder why they didn't do the trial in a real setting i.e. at home? Seems like a box ticking exercise to me..yes, we can absolutely say our staff can work effectively from home because we tested it in a, well, wee place with cubicles.

That said, I do agree that in hindsight call centres maybe should have invested in contingency measures but clearly they haven't because people are still working in them in the current climate.

You miss my point.

Yes, they were set up to mimic working from home - this means that, feasibly, Prudential could have set up these wee cubicles at a person's home. And they would have worked.

Plus - this was sixteen years ago.

It's an absolute fallacy to suggest that call centre work couldn't be carried out at a person's home because of technical limitations.

40 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just been out for a walk, passed very few folk until the last 20 minutes.

Others out walking being very respectful of social distancing, joggers and cyclists acting like p***ks.

Nah, joggers and cyclists are p***ks. 

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

You miss my point.

Yes, they were set up to mimic working from home - this means that, feasibly, Prudential could have set up these wee cubicles at a person's home. And they would have worked.

It's an absolute fallacy to suggest that call centre work couldn't be carried out at a person's home because of technical limitations.

Of course, it's only limited by the imagination of the imbeciles. 

Edited by ayrmad

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

You miss my point.

Yep, the wife works in server support and she and her colleagues all have a client installed on their laptops that mimics their desk phone; all the settings, speed dials etc. 

She isn't on the 'front line' as it were but the guys taking the calls can all work from home easily and take inbound calls as if they were in the office. 

Every call centre on earth could and should be closed at the moment. 

Just now, ayrmad said:

Of course, it's only limited by the imagination of the imbeciles. 

No, there are several practical reasons why call centres wouldn't allow employees to work from home:

1) High turnover of staff - call centre work is mind-numbing, soul-destroying work. For that reason it has a huge turnover in terms of staff. Not practical in terms of setting up booths at a person's home when they might only be there for a few weeks / months.

2) Call centre work attracts a high proportion of utter drongos who do nothing but take the absolute piss when sitting in a call centre. I've personally encountered staff stealing equipment, getting sacked for sexual harassment, taking customers' phone numbers and messaging them dick pics after work. It'd just be worse with them sitting at home without someone keeping a close eye on them.

It could be done, technologically, but it won't be done, and I can see why.

Belarus apparently doesn't give a flying f**k about Covid 19 and has never heard of social distancing.

This is from 5 mins ago. They have full set of fixtures over the weekend.

20200328_100320.jpeg

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

This. 46 doctors have died in Italy as a direct result of this pandemic. More will die in the next weeks and months and doctors and nurses will die  in this country while "doing their job". These are absolutely exceptional times for society and certainly for healthcare workers. A round of applause doesn't seem a big ask.

Here in the Philippines, out of 45 deaths we had 9 doctors amongst them - 20%.  Now, we shouldn't compare conditions between the 2 countries as they are incomparable but it does highlight how vulnerable such staff are.

That said, let's not forget there are plenty of others who are being placed in risky situations who aren't getting a round of applause or any other form of recognition. 

Now that I'm in a place where, despite relatively small numbers of cases, hospitals have shut their doors and said no more, we're full,  I do realise how important the NHS is on a fundemental level, not just to care for us when sick but to provide that reassurance that it'll be there for you if and when you need it.

I'm not asking anybody to feel sorry for us here, it is what it is, - take a read of that report from Italy posted earlier and take that as your baseline for measuring how it must feel to really be suffering this virus full on.