Coronavirus (COVID-19)

47 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/27/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-bergamo.html

Read this.  f**k me it is a brilliant piece of real journalism.  If anyone downplays the seriousness of this.  Slap them fucking silly until both arms are tired, then slap them a bit more and make them read this.

Absolutely heartbreaking!

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

To be fair if you'd said this yesterday Turkey's curve was unremarkable

Sort of. 

It was starting to bend back down again, but it was still on a pretty horrible trajectory. 

It could well be that the spike is due to more effective testing methods, but it’s at least worth keeping an eye on.

29 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Is it really such a small percentage?

In most places the numbers bear that out.

26 minutes ago, aaa said:

We haven't been out the house since last weekend and shouldn't have to go out until next weekend.

My young lad is a Paramedic so we are a bit worried about him, we also had to ask him to stay away as my wife is high risk.

I couldn't agree more, everyone needs to do their bit.

Aye, I wasn't meaning you, just folk in general. I mentioned earlier that I went for a brief walk earlier and saw a queue at a cash machine, with no one observing the distancing guidelines as they took out cash that itself could harbour the virus and which will be passed on. Too many folk just aren't doing their bit. I also noted earlier that I really fear we'll see the same sort of scenes as we did last weekend across the UK. Might not be as many but still far too many.

3 minutes ago, olliethedug said:

No. They could maybe just provide them with correct PPE!

Unfortunately there isn't enough.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Where’s the death curve?

It’s relatively low for now, so difficult to pick out on the combined chart, but it’s looking similar to where Italy and Spain started.

As I say, early days but worth keeping an eye on.

image.png.341d92be84d5d9a41556c8889d925bfa.png

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Where’s the death curve?

Absolutely this. We have no way to compare case numbers when countries are testing to hugely different degrees. We can track the changes in death numbers  on a curve and compare to population numbers. Death numbers are easy to quantify.  We were fairly steadily 14 days behind Italy in terms of death numbers in recent times. Population size is very comparable. We now seem to be 16 days behind. This may or may not be relevant but it gives us an idea of where we are  on the really sharp end of this illness.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I was replying to a guy who said they were just doing their jobs, and like i said, he's perfectly entitled to that opinion.

The main response on here was that only gullible morons were out last night, and i was trying to redress the balance a little.

You can take that however you like - that's your issue and certainly not my intention. At no point did i mention people who didn't join in, i was just defending those who did.

Yes that was my opinion and I thank you for the maturity in your reply.

I just think that's what they signed up for, to care for and treat patients. They are a without doubt a necessity, but are they doing anything different now to what they usually do? As in care for and treat patients? They do a great job by the way, I am not slating the NHS staff or their work ethic.

Looking at it from a different perspective, I worked offshore for years, risking my life every time I got on a helicopter spending weeks on end away from family to provide gas to heat homes, another necessity. Do they deserve a round of applause? No of course not, because it's what they signed up for.

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I just think that's what they signed up for, to care for and treat patients. They are a without doubt a necessity, but are they doing anything different now to what they usually do? As in care for and treat patients? They do a great job by the way, I am not slating the NHS staff or their work ethic.

Looking at it from a different perspective, I worked offshore for years, risking my life every time I got on a helicopter spending weeks on end away from family to provide gas to heat homes, another necessity. Do they deserve a round of applause? No of course not, because it's what they signed up for.

Everybody doing a job is just doing what they signed up to do, but it’s when something exceptional happens, something big or unexpected, that’s when the people doing their jobs get extra attention, or a round of applause. Firefighters signed up to fight fires, but when the twin towers were hit, they were going in, when everyone else was running out. Just their jobs though?

The NHS workers are at the sharp end of a global pandemic, this is definitely something big, exceptional. It’s perfectly understandable that they are getting a bit of extra recognition. 

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I suppose the difference might be that while you were making sacrifices and admirably looking after your own family, you weren’t going to potentially save anyone’s life totally unconnected to you because they happened to be wheeled into your workplace; your industry isn’t necessarily a battleground of political ideology and lots of people are understandably scared about this. I hope this doesn’t sound patronising or arsey because I don’t mean it like that at all.

FWIW While my frontline medic wife thought it was largely a load of bollocks, a good number of her colleagues were genuinely moved by the show of support., so it can’t really be a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Everybody doing a job is just doing what they signed up to do, but it’s when something exceptional happens, something big or unexpected, that’s when the people doing their jobs get extra attention, or a round of applause. Firefighters signed up to fight fires, but when the twin towers were hit, they were going in, when everyone else was running out. Just their jobs though?

The NHS workers are at the sharp end of a global pandemic, this is definitely something big, exceptional. It’s perfectly understandable that they are getting a bit of extra recognition. 

This. 46 doctors have died in Italy as a direct result of this pandemic. More will die in the next weeks and months and doctors and nurses will die  in this country while "doing their job". These are absolutely exceptional times for society and certainly for healthcare workers. A round of applause doesn't seem a big ask.

7 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I suppose the difference might be that while you were making sacrifices and admirably looking after your own family, you weren’t going to potentially save anyone’s life totally unconnected to you because they happened to be wheeled into your workplace; your industry isn’t necessarily a battleground of political ideology and lots of people are understandably scared about this. I hope this doesn’t sound patronising or arsey because I don’t mean it like that at all.

FWIW While my frontline medic wife thought it was largely a load of bollocks, a good number of her colleagues were genuinely moved by the show of support., so it can’t really be a bad thing.

This

Any UK resident stll abroad shouldn't be given any leeway. The FCO advised against all but essential travel on the 16th of March. It also advised all UK nationals to return.
If you are still abroad now it's your own fault if the border is closed to you.

Singapore are bringing home 200,000 citizens. At the same time, any citizen not in that number or chooses to travel overseas will be subject to quarantine when they return (2 week quarantine for anyone been in place for sometime), which they will have to pay for and if they get sick, the medical expenses are on them. A fair deterent to stop people traveling.

25 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

risking my life every time I got on a helicopter

I used to commute to work by train, which crash once in a while, no fucking medal for me though, ungrateful b*****ds.

11 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I was saving folks lives by doing my job correctly, if I didn't we could of had another Piper Alpha. The offshore industry is a battle ground of political ideology.

Good luck to your wife and I hope she stays safe.

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Firefighters signed up to fight fires, but when the twin towers were hit, they were going in, when everyone else was running out. Just their jobs though?

Yes, just their jobs. Going into burning buildings is exactly what they signed up for. They too, do a good job.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I used to commute to work by train, which crash once in a while, no fucking medal for me though, ungrateful b*****ds.

I drove to my work and did graphic design. No rounds of applause for me. No wonder, the only thing I was in the front line of, was the battle to get out the door at 5pm every Friday.

The FCO frequently advises all but essential travel to the USA. It’s a meaningless phrase which travellers know fine well. But once that changed to sentences with adverbs stronger than ‘should’, they start meaning business.

That they are in the process of arranging repatriation flights means nobody has any excuse.

Generally (probably excluding right now), the FCO advise on travel is best ignored.