Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Over 900 deaths in Italy today alone. Their lockdown was 3 weeks ago.

Awful. 

How is the infection rate? Hopefully better news there, but had really hoped that these numbers would be in decline by now. 

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

..and having been working in a hospital earlier in the week with the incorrect PPE, she now has a cough. Make this day 1 of 7 for her and of 14 for me.

What are P&B’s thoughts on getting takeaways at this time? Worthwhile to ensure the food you have in lasts a bit longer without requiring someone else to go to a shop themselves to pick up more for you (provided you’re pre-paying by card obviously) or selfish to make restaurant staff and delivery drivers continue to work and put themselves at risk when they don’t have to be considered essential despite providing food?

Sunday I had my last takeaway. I went to the usual pizza place, placed my order, paid the guy with cash (the shame!) he gave me my change and then preceded to make the pizza! Didn’t wash his hands beforehand so that put me off. Haven’t ventured to the Chinese for 2 weeks as I fear the same poor hygiene practices 

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Over 900 deaths in Italy today alone. Their lockdown was 3 weeks ago.

A lockdown is only effective if people abide by it.  I’m not saying that’s not the case in Italy, I simply don’t know, but the death rate will be determined by people’s response to the government’s policies rather than by the policies themselves.

Guest Moomintroll
Tesco have given their workers a temporary 10% increase during this time, however it's nowhere near enough for what they're doing and the crap they're having to deal with.
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I honestly believe that anyone deemed to be a "key worker" should have their tax suspended whilst this crisis is ongoing, as a gesture of Thanks if nothing else. 
Let's be honest, if he can find £2,500 per month to pay people for doing nothing at home, then he can afford to give a tax break to the people on the front line, especially as they'll be the ones who undoubtedly end up paying for it all.
I like the cut of your jib.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Tesco have given their workers a temporary 10% increase during this time, however it's nowhere near enough for what they're doing and the crap they're having to deal with.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I honestly believe that anyone deemed to be a "key worker" should have their tax suspended whilst this crisis is ongoing, as a gesture of Thanks if nothing else. 

Let's be honest, if he can find £2,500 per month to pay people for doing nothing at home, then he can afford to give a tax break to the people on the front line, especially as they'll be the ones who undoubtedly end up paying for it all.

Suspend their tax?  I’m sure they’d prefer a round of applause.

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How is that even possible with a 3 week lockdown? Surely the deceased haven’t been infected since BEFORE lockdown?

Not pretending to be an expert but my guess is that once it hits the point that care/health provision is overstretched it'll take a significant amount of time to recover from it, whatever other measures get put in place.

Really hope the NHS can cope in the coming weeks...

Just now, Tynierose said:

Well yes it is a shame,  ordinary people the same as us dying in their thousands,   I'd say that was a shame wouldn't you.

That’s what he said? 🤔

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How is that even possible with a 3 week lockdown? Surely the deceased haven’t been infected since BEFORE lockdown?

Average time from infection to showing symptoms is 11 days.

Median time from becoming symptomatic until death is 8 days.

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

A lot are still interacting by going to chemists, shops etc.  Unless you lock yourself completely away there is still a chance of exposure.

And loads of folk here are still doing the same unfortunately.

I suspect as well that this weekend will see loads of morons doing what they did last weekend as well and all congregating in the same areas and not abiding by the distancing guidelines. 

I fear that far too many people still aren't treating this with the grave seriousness it needs.  

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

A lot are still interacting by going to chemists, shops etc.  Unless you lock yourself completely away there is still a chance of exposure.

I think the supermarkets here should be shut for 2 weeks, as they’re still busy here even though they’re only letting in a select amount at a time. You’re still close to people up aisles etc