Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

almost without exception funds that all of us depend upon for pensions etc. are subject to this at the moment. It's not about speculating, it's about it gubbing X years of someone's planned investments now, meaning when they come to retire their investment has had to repeat this growth over X years, meaning they have a crapper pension.

Yep...I was teaching a Japanese guy 2 weeks ago who was 1 week from retirement and was having to defer his plans for a while as his retirement fund had lost too much.  For most, they can ride out the ups and downs over time but some need to cash in at a particular time.  In Hong Kong, the mandatory pension fund requires individual's funds to be moved to a guaranteed income fund if it was within 10 years (I think) of retirement - not a bad idea that perhaps individuals should consider.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's easier than it's been in the past, lot of pick your own ISAs, SIPPs etc. out there. If you're buying into funds as opposed to single company shares, the commission is only a pound or two so you can begin without a lot of dough. In fact without wanting to sound to mercenary, now would be a great time to start.

That’s pretty optimistic.

Was there a shortage of PPE in the Scottish NHS prior to this.  If the answer is yes then you have a point.
As for the obvious lack of a plan to deal with a pandemic, you’re absolutely right, it’s shocking that we have been caught flat footed on this but again I’m pretty certain that’s not a devolved function.

Yes mate, i absolutely promise you this is the case and was the case across the emergency services. People arent getting that a lot of the damage and risk to public sector workers could be mitigated!

9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That is absolute bollocks.  The overwhelming majority of shares (stocks) are held by institutional investors like insurance companies and pension funds and are held medium-to-long term.  If they reacted in a speculative manner to minor, let alone major, events the system simply wouldn’t work.

You obviously don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

Obviously. 

As you say, these steady eddie types don't trade much and aren't generally responsible for most of the day to day movement in normal times. Most of that comes from hedge funds and merchant banks looking to arbitrage short term movements. 

The institutional types are probably trading now. Due to fundamentals shifting. If the ontario teachers'pension fund needs liquidity it hurts the economy far less if they sell some shares than if they try calling in debts or selling property portfolios. 

You suggest that the least bad option for the economy should be made unavailable. I disagree. 

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But surely normal levels of supplies will have been used up pretty quickly, and now getting these things is incredibly difficult due to unprecedented high demand?

I'm not blaming either administration too much as there's a lot of simple stuff that simply takes time due to the logistics right now.

You can't expect them to keep stock piles, surely? The stuff goes out of date.

There's criticism about long term funding of the health service which is absolutely legitimate - but I'm not sure the snp administration can take much blame for that.

There's obviously been failures across the system, but keeping constantly prepared for a once in a hundred years pandemic without knowing its form, like the need for huge amounts of ventilators for example, could only be at the expense of ordinary healthcare when you're working with a Westminster controlled budget. It's a bit like all the outrage about the new Forth road bridge having to be closed for a short time due to rare weather patterns. And when the needs became apparent there was a global price war for getting hold of the needed kit. Not excusing the failures to get the available PPE kit directly to those in the front line though.

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s naive to look at that in isolation (no pun).  The NHS in Scotland is grossly underfunded due to the Tories austerity policy and I imagine there are far more pressing priorities that stockpiling equipment in the ‘unlikely’ event of a serious global pandemic.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Say (all) the UK governments had done this. Imagine the SHOCK HORROR headlines about WAREHOUSES FULL OF equipment while BRAVE NURSES go without suitable thermometers and VULNERABLE PATIENTS have no charge point for their mobile  (or similar ludicrous shite).