Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:
42 minutes ago, mathematics said:
Dad and soon-to-be brother-in-law just got laid off from Wabtec, Kilmarnock. Whole site to shut.

Surely an essential employer?! My work's trying to get more trains running for supermarket customers while the capacity on the network is there but have a whole train's worth of wagons lying about in need of new wheel sets before they can go back out.

They were claiming they were essential this week when they had everyone in finishing a job. As soon as the job was finished they let everyone go.

Edited by mathematics

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

For employers laying off staff now rather than furloughing them, what are the benefits to them of this?

Is it an indication of poor cash flow to the point they couldn't survive until the grants are available for them to claim back, or is there something else going on?

Hire them back on lower wages and worse terms. 

As for your point about climate it clearly will have an effect. Air pollution is horrific in lots of major cities and planes not flying also impacts weather.

https://edition.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/08/07/contrails.climate/index.html

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

What? Your dad is going to marry your sister?

Same old Ayrshire, never change. 

Don't you talk about my Brother like that !!!

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The stock market should be suspended.  Stock prices at the moment are not a reflection of companies’ value but are a reflection of stock manipulation for profiteering.

Mind you since the people doing this are all Torycunts I doubt the government will take action.

I'd much rather the markets stayed open, thanks. Volatility is a brokers dream and is probably the only thing that is keeping us in a job right now...

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Indeed, anyone who thinks that company's are actually valued on their fundamentals has a rather romantic notion of how the markets work.

AIM in particular should be closed down, there's virtually no regulation at all and insider dealing, scams involving brokers, hedgefunds and bod's are rife yet nothing is ever done. They don't call it the wild west for nothing.

London, on the whole, is considered a bit of a joke as far as regulation goes. It is very much the Wild West of the markets, and AIM is the OK Corral.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Pretty much.

We've just been furloughed at my work. Companies will be applying now and so they may well have to pay April's wages before they get the grant to cover it.

if you simply don't have that cash, i can see why some companies are making lay-offs.

Could they not at least say "Sorry folks, we haven't the cash to pay you now but you'll get back paid in April when the Government's 80% comes through"? Beats just getting laid off.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

For employers laying off staff now rather than furloughing them, what are the benefits to them of this?

Is it an indication of poor cash flow to the point they couldn't survive until the grants are available for them to claim back, or is there something else going on?

There could be many businesses who are close to the brink and maybe they've just decided that it's just not worth it, as the Economic climate is unlikely to pick up massively even when this has all blown over.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

I'm not at it. How is your analogy at all useful?

Customer phones up -> Exchange & software to allocate to call -> call goes to person at desk in office.

versus:

Customer phones up-> exhcnage & software to allocate to call -> call allocated to person's number -> call forwarded to person's home phone.

My analogy was to show how a large-scale operation cannot be simply downsized to a cottage industry overnight.  

A for the technical explanation of how it would work - who'd have guessed it was so easy.  

it's not.

48 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Dad and soon-to-be brother-in-law just got laid off from Wabtec, Kilmarnock. Whole site to shut.

Incest thread for this sort of pish...

(Bad news.)

55 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Someone’s investments are clearly taking a hit.

That’s already happened.  It would have been impractical and wrong to close them right away, companies were going to take a hit and that had to be reflected.  

However we’re now seeing companies dropping 12% one day then gaining 10% the next; that’s speculation pure and simple.

42 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

At what stage would you re-open them, and what do you think would happen within 5 minutes of said re-opening?

Once the thing is over, then there will be a genuine and realistic assessment of a company’s worth.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Hire them back on lower wages and worse terms. 

As for your point about climate it clearly will have an effect. Air pollution is horrific in lots of major cities and planes not flying also impacts weather.

https://edition.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/08/07/contrails.climate/index.html

That article doesn't say "planes contribute to global warming"

It also says there is a possibility they offset it.

Thing that annoys me about call centres is how the telecoms companies allow Bangalore cold caller/scammers to pretend they're phoning from an Inverness area code. Makes call blocking impossible unless you restrict it known numbers.

I've never voted tory and never will. It's got f**k all to do with that right now, but actually this country realising and appreciating the importance of the nhs can only be a good thing going forward (in terms of political funding /decision making).

The SNP have to shoulder a large amount of blame here too. Their lack of preparedness will no doubt up the death toll to a level that could have been avoided. But i agree that primarily the tories underfunding and devaluing of the NHS which has been rampantly cheerleaded by the far right supremacist brexiteer im alright jack types are mostly to blame. Whats happened in Scotland is a mixture of tory intent and SNP lack of preparedness.