Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's a reasonable suggestion. A big big part of trading these days isn't guys in funny jackets shouting sell sell sell, it is algorithmic and determines its positions from sentiment analysis of financial news sources. If you suspend trading then all of this pressure on the valuation of a stock is temporarily lifted & a slower, more human valuation can be carried out in the period for which they're suspended.

And when you re-open it, what would happen within 5 minutes?

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Everyone at my work has diverted their work phone to their home phone/mobile tbh, I'm not part of some megacorporation with huge resources.

We are talking about call centres, it's a completely different scale.  We all know how call centres work in terms of handling calls and I seriously doubt it would work as you describe.  

Dad and soon-to-be brother-in-law just got laid off from Wabtec, Kilmarnock. Whole site to shut.
Surely an essential employer?! My work's trying to get more trains running for supermarket customers while the capacity on the network is there but have a whole train's worth of wagons lying about in need of new wheel sets before they can go back out.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Anyone who discusses a nation’s income and spend on anything other than a per capita basis just doesn’t understand it.

Per capita and adjusted for purchasing power parity is the only way to go. But even then it’s still to be taken with a pinch of salt as it gives no indication of equality.

13 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's a reasonable suggestion. A big big part of trading these days isn't guys in funny jackets shouting sell sell sell, it is algorithmic and determines its positions from sentiment analysis of financial news sources. If you suspend trading then all of this pressure on the valuation of a stock is temporarily lifted & a slower, more human valuation can be carried out in the period for which they're suspended.

Indeed, anyone who thinks that company's are actually valued on their fundamentals has a rather romantic notion of how the markets work.

AIM in particular should be closed down, there's virtually no regulation at all and insider dealing, scams involving brokers, hedgefunds and bod's are rife yet nothing is ever done. They don't call it the wild west for nothing.

Anyone? 

Im worrying myself over these women I only know to see 

Your mates wife would surely qualify as would the 2 who rent chairs as they will be self employed. Your mates wife should keep the other lassie on as an employee and she will get the 80% of her wage through the furlough scheme but your mates wife will have to apply for this I believe.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Per capita and adjusted for purchasing power parity is the only way to go. But even then it’s still to be taken with a pinch of salt as it gives no indication of equality.

Aye, America spends twice as much per head and with a lower life expectancy. Going by economy size Indian healthcare on average should be better than here.

Clapping is nice and all, but I would much prefer facemasks that weren’t 4 years out of date and not to have a ‘bring your own’ approach to PPE. 
It's not an epithet or situation. No-one s given a choice - so we A. Clap for the nhs or B. Provide them with ppe.

The administrators in charge are desperately trying to fix that problem and will rightly be judged on their success. Yes we understand (unless you're competitor fucking thick) its not easy to get it done right now but it's absolutely vital.

Being a naturally grumpy c**t I didn't want anything to do with the clapping thing, but my 94 year old Mother saw something about it on the telly so I had to help her get out with her zimmer frame. Despite myself it was quite moving when gradually a few people came out, lights came on and people started clapping and waving from their windows. It felt more about isolated people saying they were still here and saying hello rather than any virtue signalling propaganda thing.

This is what it was all about, and what it always was about. It's about a sense of not being alone, feeling a part of your street or community. I think we need that generally in our lives but now more than ever. Anyone that doesn't fancy it, fine.

But the keyboard criticism on here has been ridiculous.

Of course it didnt, its all platitude pish for social media likes. Want to show appreciation for the NHS, dont vote for governments who f**k it up.
I've never voted tory and never will. It's got f**k all to do with that right now, but actually this country realising and appreciating the importance of the nhs can only be a good thing going forward (in terms of political funding /decision making).

Btw, if you haven't already, you have to go back and read the first few pages of this thread. It's fucking gold.

I have to admit jts98 was absolutely on it right from the start - and is ridiculous massively by a lot of decent posters. I'm just glad i never found this thread earlier!

It should remind us all to take a wee step back sometimes, and not be so adamant about our opinions.

For employers laying off staff now rather than furloughing them, what are the benefits to them of this?

Is it an indication of poor cash flow to the point they couldn't survive until the grants are available for them to claim back, or is there something else going on?

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

For employers laying off staff now rather than furloughing them, what are the benefits to them of this?

Is it an indication of poor cash flow to the point they couldn't survive until the grants are available for them to claim back, or is there something else going on?

Pretty much.

We've just been furloughed at my work. Companies will be applying now and so they may well have to pay April's wages before they get the grant to cover it.

if you simply don't have that cash, i can see why some companies are making lay-offs.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

how is that different if someone's in an office?

You're at it.  

Imagine Tesco shutting up shop and asking their staff to open up their living rooms as wee stores.  That's what you're suggesting.  

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

When this is all over, and the effect on climate change is absolutely zero, do you think the climate nazis will back off a bit and let people live their lives if the unexpected test of their theories and deliberately selected time periods show them up for what they are?

I'm slightly surprised ive not heard anything. Globally there has been a massive reduction in production, air and car travel. We are constantly told how bad these are for the environment. If that is true, there must surely have been an evident reduction in global temperature by now...

It's been quite warm this week. 

You're absolutely right. 

I'm back on the coal. 

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

yes they absolutely do

Do you think they wait for Jim Packard to file his piece and the editors to put it up online?

They take the raw data from governments, trade bodies and markets and react on that. They have resources which dwarf the FT.