Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Who are they clapping though? Its mostly empty streets. It would be different if NHS staff were driving past in an open top bus or if the clappers were hanging around outside a hospital or surgery or even Tesco at 9am on sunday morning but standing at your doorstep aimlessly clapping nobody just confirms you as a brain dead nugget imho.

Yep, looked a shite idea, albeit well intentioned. Did not participate.  Virtually no one did in my street.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You're right, it's much better spending money bailing out billionaire shysters and crooks rather than ensuring our health service is fit for purpose.

How much is needed to ensure the health service  is 'fit for purpose '?

We're spending what 150bn or something annually in the UK. What's enough? 200bn? 300bn? 500 bn?

Even in Scotland the SNP who aren't a proto fascist Brexiteer clown collective like Westminster have tough choices to make on public spending. 

Edited by Bairn Necessities

2 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Fair point, but the UK is nowhere near the sixth richest country in the world.

We like to think we are though, especially when we were threatening the Russians that we were going to send over the Loch striven to deal with them in the Crimea.

Just now, Bairn Necessities said:

We're spending what 150bn or something annually in the UK. What's enough? 200bn? 300bn? 500 bn?

Maybe enough for some PPE for current front line staff instead of sitting on our fat arses clapping them?

Could be a start.

Well the love for the NHS didn't last long:

Mrs Mathematics is currently at M&S, making use of the early opening hour for NHS workers. Queue to get in was filled with old people, and when they got told to scram, one old guy had started roaring and screaming at the M&S worker for "chanigng the rules".

Mrs Mathematics, kind soul that she is, is probably stoking the flames a bit by telling him to f**k off and applaud her some more.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

In more encouraging news, it's good that there's one very small positive out of the lockdown and it's that the planet seems to be healing itself somewhat.

When this is all over, and the effect on climate change is absolutely zero, do you think the climate nazis will back off a bit and let people live their lives if the unexpected test of their theories and deliberately selected time periods show them up for what they are?

I'm slightly surprised ive not heard anything. Globally there has been a massive reduction in production, air and car travel. We are constantly told how bad these are for the environment. If that is true, there must surely have been an evident reduction in global temperature by now...

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Maybe enough for some PPE for current front line staff instead of sitting on our fat arses clapping them?

Could be a start.

We have more than enough for that. We've just spent it elsewhere in thr NHS. Other countries with less money spent on health have done better there.

Don't assume incompetence doesn't exist in any bureaucracy.  

There's plenty of non jobs for a start.

Edited by Bairn Necessities

2 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

The headline figure is largely irrelevant. The per capita spend is what should be measured. The UK is well down that list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_per_capita

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The headline figure is largely irrelevant. The per capita spend is what should be measured. The UK is well down that list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_per_capita

But thats my question.  What would our per capita spend need to be to be ',enough '. What figure would remove complaints that the NHS is underfunded?

13 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Could be a start.

#FuckTheTories

As my wife is a trainee nurse and I work in social care I thought it would be a wee bit egotistical to go to my front door and effectively clap ourselves.
The way I prefer to support the NHS is by willingly paying my taxes and never voting Tory.
I have seen a video from Downing St of last night. Does anyone know if there is one of IDS from last night. It must never been forgotten that these people voted against a pay rise for nurses recently!

10 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Well the love for the NHS didn't last long:

Mrs Mathematics is currently at M&S, making use of the early opening hour for NHS workers. Queue to get in was filled with old people, and when they got told to scram, one old guy had started roaring and screaming at the M&S worker for "chanigng the rules".

Mrs Mathematics, kind soul that she is, is probably stoking the flames a bit by telling him to f**k off and applaud her some more.

Par Jr had to walk through a muddy verge when walking the dog yesterday as some old boot was yelling at her to keep away from her and her dog (who were miles away). Par Jr is of the opinion that old people can go and f**k themselves. 

5 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

But thats my question.  What would our per capita spend need to be to be ',enough '. What figure would remove complaints that the NHS is underfunded?

There are too many factors involved to give a definitive figure. That doesn't mean the NHS should not be funded to a vastly higher level.

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Par Jr had to walk through a muddy verge when walking the dog yesterday as some old boot was yelling at her to keep away from her and her dog (who were miles away). Par Jr is of the opinion that old people can go and f**k themselves. 

Not just Par Jr to be fair.

I know it’s a generalisation but the group who seem to be making the biggest c***s of themselves during this crisis are definitely older folk.