Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, The DA said:

Add yesterday's deaths (43) and today's and divide by 2 to get a better idea - 83 each day.  They changed the reporting time halfway through Wednesday.

Only 13.6% increase in Scotland.  Encouraging.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Ah well that's alright then.

It'll be over 100 again tomorrow.

Given that almost all epidemiologists are predicting that it will peak in about 3 weeks from now, I don't think anyone is quite doubting that it will be anything but rising for a while yet.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Given that almost all epidemiologists are predicting that it will peak in about 3 weeks from now, I don't think anyone is quite doubting that it will be anything but rising for a while yet.

There's been clowns on here today telling us we are following the trajectory of South Korea, which essentially flattened out at this stage.

Only the Yanks have done a worse job of managing this than us.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Only 13.6% increase in Scotland.  Encouraging.

If that continued, it would take a week five days for the numbers to double which might give the lock down a chance to have an impact before things got to Italian/Spanish levels.

Edited by The DA
Taking account of compound interest

17 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The government's new package for self employment is excellent. Shame about the delay till June but it's very welcome news.

I'm confused as to how it will affect me but I realise i am in a pretty unique situation. In 16/17 and 17/18 I filed tax returns with shares of profits from a partnership and in 18/19 I also filed a tax return but it was made up 100% of income from employment. In 19/20 I will be self employed but obviously we are still in this tax year. 

Would I still be eligible despite last year having the majority of my earnings from employment despite 100%  of my earnings in the previous 2 years coming from partnership profits? A bit confusing.

5 minutes ago, The DA said:

If that continued, it would take a week for the numbers to double which might give the lock down a chance to have an impact before things got to Italian/Spanish levels.

Just over double.  2.44.  Trust me.

I think you’re looking at two weeks to see an impact.  Then it 6x.  Still relatively low figures.

ETA now you’re cheating.

Edited by Granny Danger

There is more self employed that slip through the net than just the rich ones and the ones with no returns.

The wife is an example. She works paye for 3 days as a dental hygienist for a decent NHS dentist.

Unfortunately in the private sector (name and shame bupa) she works "self employed" for 2 days. Hence less than 50% of her income is self employed so no help.

Gets my goat that people that turn up for regular work at a regular workplace at a regular time. Ie they dont choose when to work. Can ever be classed as self employed.

Bupa choose to display her as one of the team on their websites. Virus strikes and dropped like a stone. Absolute cuntts.

Need to put them on the company's to avoid thread.

Ps she would go mental if she knew I was posting.

4 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I'm confused as to how it will affect me but I realise i am in a pretty unique situation. In 16/17 and 17/18 I filed tax returns with shares of profits from a partnership and in 18/19 I also filed a tax return but it was made up 100% of income from employment. In 19/20 I will be self employed but obviously we are still in this tax year. 

Would I still be eligible despite last year having the majority of my earnings from employment despite 100%  of my earnings in the previous 2 years coming from partnership profits? A bit confusing.

3 years of constant self emp required, nae luck. 

Don't know how they'll treat you but everything will be welcome. 

5 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

3 years of constant self emp required, nae luck. 

Don't know how they'll treat you but everything will be welcome. 

Where have you seen this? TBH, I'm not expecting anything, if I was to get anything it would be a bonus. I realise I would be unique going from a partnership, to employment, to self employment but will just have to wait and see I guess. For what its worth, the employment income was about 1/3 of the amount of the partnership profits.

Edited by RossDee01

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

yeah decent. I'm at home on full pay but my self employed wife has no income as her jobs have all ceased and she has too much in the bank to get UC.

I suspect folk won't say Sunak is so great when he's back on the telly next year saying everyone has to work till they're 75 to pay for this.

She should question that about UC. They told me that if you have over £6k in savings the amount you receive would reduce, but you’d still be entitled to something. Unless the woman I spoke to was just trolling me 

4 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Where have you seen this? TBH, I'm not expecting anything, if I was to get anything it would be a bonus. I realise I would be unique going from a partnership, to employment, to self employment but will just have to wait and see I guess. For what its worth, the employment income was about 1/3 of the amount of the partnership profits.

The 1st bit was just fun, I've no idea how they'll work your situation, I'm just calculating my return on worst case scenario then I'll not be disappointed. 

Just came on here to say I've just been issued with pretty much the same letter from my work, carry at all times to be presented on request etc... More restrictions incoming?

Also, this clap for the NHS thing can GTF, social media attention seeking pish. It was nice when it appeared on the news as a wee spontaneous show of solidarity thing happening in the Italian streets, has since been copied by folk that are probably raging they didn't think of it first and is now going to become a 'thing' that folk will feel compelled to do in times of crisis.
I've been going out at 9 on our balcony giving it a ferocious, blood vessel bursting BOOOOOO

Just now, ayrmad said:

The 1st bit was just fun, I've no idea how they'll work your situation, I'm just calculating my return on worst case scenario then I'll not be disappointed. 

Ah, fair enough😄 Yeah thats the best way.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
5 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:
Just came on here to say I've just been issued with pretty much the same letter from my work, carry at all times to be presented on request etc... More restrictions incoming?

Also, this clap for the NHS thing can GTF, social media attention seeking pish. It was nice when it appeared on the news as a wee spontaneous show of solidarity thing happening in the Italian streets, has since been copied by folk that are probably raging they didn't think of it first and is now going to become a 'thing' that folk will feel compelled to do in times of crisis.

I've been going out at 9 on our balcony giving it a ferocious, blood vessel bursting BOOOOOO

Is that when Stevie Crawford goes by on his daily run?

100+ deaths in the UK from this today. Any zoomers on here still saying we "aren't an Italy or a Spain" or want to defend the UK response again?

None of us knows. Clinging to optimism is not something I’d often accuse Pie and Bovril of.