Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Can you be temporarily furloughed? Like the govt would cover 80% of you wage for 2/3 months and then (fingers crossed) we just go back to normal?

yes - furloughing is a temporary measure. Exactly as you described. A lot of companies will use it where they would otherwise have to make redundancies, but they are confident if things return to normal you will be needed. 

Guest bernardblack
yes - furloughing is a temporary measure. Exactly as you described. A lot of companies will use it where they would otherwise have to make redundancies, but they are confident if things return to normal you will be needed. 

That’s a relief. So you could just return to your same job, post furlough?

11 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

This sounds bang on, yeah. Ive always kinda figured the footage of folk clapping from balconies abroad is far more about keeping some sense of a community spirit going than about showing appreciation to medical staff.

It's entirely about people wanting to be seen doing something rather than actually doing something

31 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I was talking a guy from Mumbai. He thinks it won't hit India or other 3rd world countries as hard Europe or the US as Indian people's immune systems are far more robust.
He said that the slums in Mumbai are outrageous. A sea of disease. The people drink dirty water and eat rotten fruit that has been lying on the ground next to cow shite. If you can live there then Covid-19 will be nothing.

Interesting concept.

At least Killie is safe. 

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Not bad, think I can manage to starve until the beginning of June 

Just catching up with the announcement.  This will encourage/force lots of self-employed people to keep on working even when they shouldn’t be.

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If you ask me, the people most deserving of our gratitude are those on minimum wage filling shelves in supermarkets. They are way ahead of any medical staff in terms of importance right now. It's not even close.

That’s it. 

I’m going round to clap my local Tesco later.

@G_Man1985 this ones for you.

This sounds bang on, yeah. Ive always kinda figured the footage of folk clapping from balconies abroad is far more about keeping some sense of a community spirit going than about showing appreciation to medical staff.

That's my reason for doing it as well. I live in a busy wee cul-de-sac and community spirit is imperishable.

It's a tiny gesture, but a nice one that might bring folk in the street a wee bit closer.
Oh dear God this is fucking hideously cringeworthy. We really have to get away from this white knghting and hero worshipping culture.
There's a whole army of essentially workers out there deserving of a bit of gratitude from the rest of us. There's no need to single out just one sector. Many medical staff will be getting very well paid for this. The rest who are not getting well paid should be getting their pay increased accordingly once this is all done.
If you ask me, the people most deserving of our gratitude are those on minimum wage filling shelves in supermarkets. They are way ahead of any medical staff in terms of importance right now. It's not even close.
I disagree.

Yes i have great sympathy for those in low paid jobs - and I'm guessing based on your politics that I'm more likely to vote in a government that would do something about that.

But there's something about working on the medical front line that is particularly unique. They are literally saving people's lives and quite often putting themselves at a high risk to do so - more so than other key workers.

Just now, dirty dingus said:

Is there only about 4 journalists in the UK. Get Kunsberg Peston and Rigby tae f**k. Get ones on who wil ask why c***s like charlie and the wetherspoon clown haven't been hung yet?

Rigby is pretty good imo, certainly miles ahead of her BBC counterpart.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just catching up with the announcement.  This will encourage/force lots of self-employed people to keep on working even when they shouldn’t be.

Probably, I'm in the house, haven't seen a person apart from peering out the blinds when a loved one drops something off, last night it was 4 Corona, just thought I'd troll the f**k out the virus for a wee while. 

9 minutes ago, Shtuggie said:

I was asking earlier in the day. If you are made redundant after having been on furlough, does your redundancy payout reflect your full salary prior to furlough.

Or could a rather unscrupulous employer effectively use it to slash your redundancy payout by four fifths, using what was your after all the final wage they were paying you

What do we make of the chancellor's decision here?

I'm not self-employed so I've not paid too much attention but this guy had been getting a lot of praise recently. Seems a bit fake-smiley for my liking but I'll wait and see how it all pans out.

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

I was asking earlier in the day. If you are made redundant after having been on furlough, does your redundancy payout reflect your full salary prior to furlough.

Or could a rather unscrupulous employer effectively use it to slash your redundancy payout by four fifths, using what was your after all the final wage they were paying you

I don't think that's possible. 

1 minute ago, Steven W said:

I imagine not. Your salary payments are on record and are what the govt. will use to work out your subsidy.

Also, not all employers will top up to 100% (mine isn't, for example). 

My current salary is not zero

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

What do we make of the chancellor's decision here?

I'm not self-employed so I've not paid too much attention but this guy had been getting a lot of praise recently. Seems a bit fake-smiley for my liking but I'll wait and see how it all pans out.

Would have preferred him to just state the facts rather than constantly repeating how 'generous' he is.