Coronavirus (COVID-19)

As call centre jobs go there must be worse..

The first rescue flight for British travellers stranded abroad has landed in Heathrow with 171 passengers including up to 20 vulnerable EU citizens.

The government is seeking permission for three more flights, the first one expected this weekend, to help repatriate up to 1,000 Britons it believes are abroad.

It is also working with the authorities to try and resolve the situation that has arisen in a hostel in the Andean city of Cusco, the gateway to Machu Picchu, where 140 guests including nine Britons and one Irish national, have been quarantined for at least a month because two guests have caught coronavirus.

It is understood there are currently around 12,000 EU nationals in the country which is under one of the world’s strictest lockdowns with no travel permitted.

The Foreign Office has also doubled the number of staff at the call centre in Malaga, through which 90% of the calls to embassies are routed. It will be doubling numbers again in the coming days.

Sources say there are rigorous efforts underway to get the six elderly Britons out of Kerala and active work to get others home from countries but efforts are hampered by lockdowns.

29 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Please don't clap. It's already embarrassing enough with all the free food and other stuff being delivered. We're lucky enough to have secure jobs and keep getting paid. I'd prefer the food and donations to go to those who are actually needing it.

Aye, saw folk clapping on the news and thought "could you get any more patronising?".  Almost on a par with Sevco's 8th minute applause, although a big difference is that those clapping tonight won't be demanding that the NHS staff being applauded are sacked just an hour later. 

Anyway, just back from a wander and saw a Forestry Commission car park with about a dozen cars in it despite three obvious signs at the entrance saying "Covid 19 - car park closed until further notice".  This 'if they're doing it then I'm doing it' mentality is ingrained in society. 

Totally. Smacks of that 'clean for the queen' shite. They need money and PPE.

Have a word.

I despise the whole concept of the monarchy, and every element of it. In terms of values I'd argue that showing support for the nhs is the exact the opposite of supporting the fucking queen.
It's a fucking stupid idea. If you want to show support everyone donate £1 via justgiving. That's 60m.
We all pay for it through our taxes. 
'Donating' on top of that sets a dangerous precedent.
Absolutely this. A nice idea but when you think about the consequences, definitely not.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Have a word.

I despise the whole concept of the monarchy, and every element of it. In terms of values I'd argue that showing support for the nhs is the exact the opposite of supporting the fucking queen.
Absolutely this. A nice idea but when you think about the consequences, definitely not.

I assumed your earlier post was ironic.  I obviously overestimated you.

I was talking a guy from Mumbai. He thinks it won't hit India or other 3rd world countries as hard Europe or the US as Indian people's immune systems are far more robust.
He said that the slums in Mumbai are outrageous. A sea of disease. The people drink dirty water and eat rotten fruit that has been lying on the ground next to cow shite. If you can live there then Covid-19 will be nothing.

Interesting concept.

40 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We need some restocking but I can't get away until after 6pm, is there any point in going into a supermarket at that time this week?

I was in a pretty big Morrisons on Tuesday night about 7pm. No queuing system in place at all and the shop was the quietest I've ever seen it. The only stuff you couldn't get was fresh chicken, dry pasta or liquid soap. I managed to get a 4 pack of toilet roll, tinned soup and essentially any frozen stuff I wanted.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

The Sky News journalist who broke that story, followed it up within an hour later with a tweet with a "Context Alert" saying the story was from a week ago.

I see Sky News' website have now dropped the story, but it was up there (including as a headline) for the best part of the day.

Irresponsible stuff (wouldn't expect anything less), leading to more panic which we can all do without.

I'll only panic when there are reports of Russian warships in Lough Neagh, tbqh

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig & grandma

27 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The Tory party would love to see donations flooding into the NHS. They could then cut funding even more to level off.

eta

DE73371A-505D-486E-A538-0F42B717A181.jpeg

Mixed messages there...

Russia announced on Thursday it would close all restaurants, bars, parks and non-essential shops, as the number of confirmed cases there rose to 840. Three people have died, according to official data.

For those playing along at home, the comparative UK figures when Johnson strongly advised pubs to consider shutting after everyone got a good skinful last Friday was 3269 cases and 144 deaths respectively. Somehow I doubt Uncle Vlad is going to let businessmen claim 17 million exemptions from closing down either.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

That applause thing might look good when apartment buildings or blocks of flats with balconys do it but I'd look a dick standing in my front porch clapping.

This sounds bang on, yeah. Ive always kinda figured the footage of folk clapping from balconies abroad is far more about keeping some sense of a community spirit going than about showing appreciation to medical staff.

19 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I was talking a guy from Mumbai. He thinks it won't hit India or other 3rd world countries as hard Europe or the US as Indian people's immune systems are far more robust.
He said that the slums in Mumbai are outrageous. A sea of disease. The people drink dirty water and eat rotten fruit that has been lying on the ground next to cow shite. If you can live there then Covid-19 will be nothing.

Interesting concept.

Do immune systems work like that?

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

For those playing along at home, the comparative UK figures when Johnson strongly advised pubs to consider shutting after everyone got a good skinful last Friday was 3269 cases and 144 deaths respectively. Somehow I doubt Uncle Vlad is going to let businessmen claim 17 million exemptions from closing down either.

The Russian statistics sound suspiciously close to Indonesia's about a week ago.

Guest bernardblack

Can you be temporarily furloughed? Like the govt would cover 80% of you wage for 2/3 months and then (fingers crossed) we just go back to normal?