Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If everything does calm down and we get back to numbers that would allow some normality to resume, I’m deeply worried about the first weekend that they open the pubs again. Going by the behaviour of a large chunk of the population in the U.K., I expect utter carnage on the night with record numbers out. I also then expect that a second wave of the virus would surely hit, as there’s no chance half of the jakies out there gasping for a pint would calmly sit at home whilst their pals go out regardless of if they’re showing symptoms or not.

Just now, Forest_Fifer said:

Just got it in BBC breaking, ta.

That's a bit of a surprise tbh

A pleasant one, the wait had me thinking it was a jump. 

Looks like we've fallen off the Italy trajectory in past few days which is about as positive a bit of news as we could hope for in these times. 

Our NHS workers are fucking amazing. That’s going to be my takeaway when this is all said and done.

If everything does calm down and we get back to numbers that would allow some normality to resume, I’m deeply worried about the first weekend that they open the pubs again. Going by the behaviour of a large chunk of the population in the U.K., I expect utter carnage on the night with record numbers out. I also then expect that a second wave of the virus would surely hit, as there’s no chance half of the jakies out there gasping for a pint would calmly sit at home whilst their pals go out regardless of if they’re showing symptoms or not.

^^^ Nostradamus-esque

This drop in numbers, combined with Neil Fergusons (who set the initial terrifying numbers of the epicemic) appraisal today that we may well not be overwhelmed gives a fair bit of hope. 

Add into this the Oxford Uni model that suggests half the population has possibly already been infected and asymptomatic of very very mild and there's a lot to be optimistic about.