Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Yeah. Pretty much everyone who has even the most enuous grasp of this understands that. Unfortunately we've had all the 'got to time these things properly' nonsense that cost us days, and by extension, people's lives. 

But it’s still happening with, for example, the building sites debacle.

The house builders are going with “but there’s a real housing shortage issue”.  Two problems with that pish.

1. Stopping building for three weeks is going to have a minimal impact on this very long-term problem.

2.  Most sites are not building social housing.  Building £300k houses is not addressing the real housing problem in the UK.

#Torycunts

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Of course it’s folk not numbers, but, using my example, I’m sure you would agree 6,300 folk is better than 17,600 folk.

Can’t help but think that if we had introduced the restrictions even seven days earlier it would have had a huge impact on what the eventual number of fatalities will be.

Isn’t there an argument though that this thing has three peaks and won’t be over in a year? The measures taken slow it, to stop the NHS being immediately overwhelmed. This is just buying time. Time to get more equipment / testing / research, but primarily, to buy the NHS bed space and the ability to deal with the numbers seriously infected.. The lockdown we are currently operating under has to be relaxed, but the virus hasn’t gone anywhere. We come out of this first period of ‘hibernation’, and it peaks for a second time. The government then re-impose the lockdown, and so it goes on, for at least a year. Depressing if true, but like the ‘we will follow Italy’ reports, let’s bloody hope not.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I thought that perhaps holiday pay was in some way subsidised, but if it makes no financial sense for them to do that, it is purely just taking our holidays off us so we can't use them later when they expect to be busier. I'm extremely disappointed tbh, I've worked here for 14 years and the company have always prided themselves on employee happiness and well being (because the pay is utter shite) and this just feels like a huge shift in mentality.

Oh no there is a financial benefit should they declare you as forloughed but make you take a week of annual leave at the same time. They pay all employees full pay for that week off, but claim 80% back, meaning they've had to pay all employees only 20% of what they would normally have to, and they have an extra week of productivity off of everyone later in the year. That would be shady behaviour if they were to do so, and I dare say illegal.

Alternatively they are saying they can't afford to top up the 20% for you to sit at home so are offering it as a genuine way to get full pay for an extra 2 weeks, and will then drop you to 80% afterwards. A decent employer would make that optional, however, rather than mandatory.

At the end of the day, furlough is optional; they don't have to furlough you, and could instead lay you off. Making you use a week's holiday in order for them to furlough you afterwords rather than lay you off would be utterly shite behaviour, and would most likely prompt most to look for new jobs upon return. 

23 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

That’s no way to talk about golfers. You retract that right now sir. 🙂

Golf club near me is open for business but there's nobody (that I can see) on the course.

Utter fannies.

Edited by Comrie

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Isn’t there an argument though that this thing has three peaks and won’t be over in a year? The measures taken slow it, to stop the NHS being immediately overwhelmed. This is just buying time. Time to get more equipment / testing / research, but primarily, to buy the NHS bed space and the ability to deal with the numbers seriously infected.. The lockdown we are currently operating under has to be relaxed, but the virus hasn’t gone anywhere. We come out of this first period of ‘hibernation’, and it peaks for a second time. The government then re-impose the lockdown, and so it goes on, for at least a year. Depressing if true, but like the ‘we will follow Italy’ reports, let’s bloody hope not.

China seems to be starting to ease off so hopefully there won’t be a second wave. China and South Korea are miles ahead of most countries and we really need to test pretty much the entire nation and if it does fall away then keep throwing money at contact tracing and mini shutdowns.

Cant see London or any other major outbreak area being normal for months maybe a year unless we implement some sort of Chinese level of social control. 

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The BBC shared this nonsense ffs-

cv.jpg

"The offender was white, aged about 40, with fair hair and glasses. He wore standard walking gear, a hat and a snood."

Nuff said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-52034329

I must admit that even a week ago I wasn’t taking this seriously. I truly believed it was a bad strain of the flu that would “only” kill the elderly or people with underlying health conditions. Listening to the news and hearing about the 21 year old girl who died and who had no health issues makes things scary

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

Cant see London or any other major outbreak area being normal for months maybe a year unless we implement some sort of Chinese level of social control. 

I think the testing kits are more likely to resume normality than control now.

IF they are available and effective, those who test that they have had, but no longer have, the virus can return to normal. Those who test positive for having the virus will isolate with their whole household, which should protect those who test negative for having and for having had the virus whilst they too return to normal.

An effective, available test for both will end this much sooner than first though.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think the testing kits are more likely to resume normality than control now.

IF they are available and effective, those who test that they have had, but no longer have, the virus can return to normal. Those who test positive for having the virus will isolate with their whole household, which should protect those who test negative for having and for having had the virus whilst they too return to normal.

An effective, available test for both will end this much sooner than first though.

How will we got about getting one of these testing kits? Will we pay for them? Are they being sent to each household? 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

How will we got about getting one of these testing kits? Will we pay for them? Are they being sent to each household? 

I thought they were for the front line.