Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Yes but if you had enough to pay that employee anyway but think why should we when we can declare them as such and effectively get the government to pay them instead of using their own reserves.

An admirably noble but sadly naive stance. No matter the cash in the bank, no company is going to pay workers to sit idle when there is no real prospect of work for them. No work? Oot the door. There’s a reason we’ve migrated to the term ‘human resource’. 

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Yes but if you had enough to pay that employee anyway but think why should we when we can declare them as such and effectively get the government to pay them instead of using their own reserves.

I think that is fair, though. The government are practically begging employers to shut off their income streams to protect the national health.

Cash rich companies are more likely to be able to top up salaries to 100%

Putting any eligibility requirements in place would only encourage the excluded employers to lay staff off or keep their staff coming in to work

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

That would take another few weeks to organise and loads of cases going to appeal. "Rich enough to pay" criteria would have accountants and lawyers battling for years. It's supposed to be an emergency measure.

9 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

That’s all very good and well, but, you know, nurse pics.

It's nothing to do with liquidity.
Any company is elligible to use the scheme. The idea is to encourage non-essential works to close for a short period in order to allow more people to stay home, without forcing companies to lay stay off in order to retain staff and not go bust in doing so.
They have to declare an employee as furloughed to get the 80%. They can't have them working and have 80% of their wages paid by the government.

Nicely put. It’s going to show up certain business owners as the absolute scoundrels we already suspect they are.

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

And finally Marshmallo specificly is a scum bag.

You can do two things about that - nothing, and like it!

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Hopefully shared extensively on social media and help convince a certain demographic who think they’re invincible to act more responsibly.

Boomers clogging up supermarkets to buy papers and a 10 deck of Regal?

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I keep reading comments along the lines of ‘we’re about two to three weeks behind Italy’, the inference being that in two to three weeks time we will be seeing about 600 or so deaths per’ day, same as them. Can someone tell me why the UK, or indeed any nation, in about three weeks time, necessarily has to be in the same spot that Italy are in? Seems to me there are shitloads of variables and nothing is certain in any of this.

The UK is tracking on an almost one for one basis the number of deaths per day that Italy had, on a 14 day lag. There is nothing certain that will continue but that's the current trendline.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

The phrase ‘two weeks behind Italy’ though. It gets aired so many times, and definitely in the context of ‘start shitting yourselves, what happened there is coming here’.

What you implying here, people are scare mongering and we are panicking unnecessarily? The UK will have over 100 deaths today from this and that will continue to rise for the foreseeable.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

You can do two things about that - nothing, and like it!

Boomers clogging up supermarkets to buy papers and a 10 deck of Regal?

The UK is tracking on an almost one for one basis the number of deaths per day that Italy had, on a 14 day lag. There is nothing certain that will continue but that's the current trendline.

What you implying here, people are scare mongering and we are panicking unnecessarily? The UK will have over 100 deaths today from this and that will continue to rise for the foreseeable.

No, what I’m implying is that wherever Italy, China, or South Africa were at any point in this, if the UK, Iceland, Canada or anyone, are two to three weeks behind, the amount of variables doesn’t necessarily mean we, or anyone else involved, will be seeing Italian levels of deaths. I definitely heard more than a few comments on TV absolutely along the lines of ‘it’s going to be that bad’. Now, it might be, let’s hope not. I just don’t think it’s certain. 

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

No, what I’m implying is that wherever Italy, China, or South Africa were at any point in this, if the UK, Iceland, Canada or anyone, are two to three weeks behind, the amount of variables doesn’t necessarily mean we, or anyone else involved, will be seeing Italian levels of deaths. I definitely heard more than a few comments on TV absolutely along the lines of ‘it’s going to be that bad’. Now, it might be, let’s hope not. I just don’t think it’s certain. 

Our best chance of avoiding the worst outcome is assuming it. As soon as people start saying "Load of fuss about nothing" we're fucked.

Wait a week till everyone forgot you posted this, make burner account, post.

I'd like to add them to [mention=75884]MixuFixit[/mention]'s thread but don't really want to expose where I work. Dilemma.

Wait till I start the “which Robyn song is the best one” divergence in this thread and post it then. There’ll be too much denunciation and vitriol going on here for anyone to notice.

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Look at the figures. We are basically one for one each day past the nth death. 

It's not scaremongering or being pessimistic, it's what the figures are saying will happen. We've still got about 5 days before the bell ends from lats weekend doon the Strathy start hitting the icus too. 

Problem is it takes about a week to be hit by symptoms, so anything we do now won't affect the numbers until 10-14ish days from now. We've already made the f**k ups that take us to two weeks from now basically. 

Edited by madwullie

Just now, welshbairn said:

Our best chance of avoiding the worst outcome is assuming it. As soon as people start saying "Load of fuss about nothing" we're fucked.

Absolutely take on board what you say here. I think it would be wrong to dismiss it as ‘ach, just a bit of flu FFS’ or suchlike. My own opinion though is that some of the reports, in regard to us hurtling towards where Italy are, could have done with a caveat at the end.

Like all of this though, time and hindsight will reveal all. Fingers x we simply do not follow Italian levels of deaths attributed to Corona 19.