Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

My work are closing on Friday for 2 weeks. The first week anyone who can work from home is expected to do so. For the second week the entire workforce has been forced to take holidays.

Most folk just seem happy that we're closing, but I'm again not very happy with how the company are playing this. The speech started off with this direct quote "I would like to reiterate again that we have an record order book right now and we've had a very good sales year", they then went on to say that the reason they were asking us to take a holiday for the second week is to protect us and ensure we get 100% of the wage. They have said we may need to apply to the furlough scheme if the closure is extended, which means we should get 80% of our wages from that point on. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how the 80% thing works, but surely if my work closed for that second week, the company have the choice to apply to to the government for 80% of the wages and then pay us the additional 20% out of the apparent healthy bank balance the company has?  I.e. there is no actual need for us to use holidays here?

No need to force holidays on anyone, the furlough scheme is backdated to 1st March. Sounds like they're worried everyone will be firing in all their holidays within a shorter period once back to normal and are trying to take some off by stealth 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

My work are closing on Friday for 2 weeks. The first week anyone who can work from home is expected to do so. For the second week the entire workforce has been forced to take holidays.

Most folk just seem happy that we're closing, but I'm again not very happy with how the company are playing this. The speech started off with this direct quote "I would like to reiterate again that we have an record order book right now and we've had a very good sales year", they then went on to say that the reason they were asking us to take a holiday for the second week is to protect us and ensure we get 100% of the wage. They have said we may need to apply to the furlough scheme if the closure is extended, which means we should get 80% of our wages from that point on. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how the 80% thing works, but surely if my work closed for that second week, the company have the choice to apply to to the government for 80% of the wages and then pay us the additional 20% out of the apparent healthy bank balance the company has?  I.e. there is no actual need for us to use holidays here?

You're probably right, all for one and one for themselves. 

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

When’s the shit going to hit the fan here like it did in Italy with hundreds  of deaths per day? 

Disclaimer - hopefully it won’t happen 

That could age very quickly. 

They think we're 2-3 weeks behind the Italians although London appears to be ahead of that time scale.
Pretty much 2 weeks behind Italy based on when we reached 400 confirmed cases - based on that we're growing slightly slower than they are (and considerably slower than Spain at the same point).

Those would suggest that from tomorrow the figures will start to increase a bit sharper.

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

saw a family of 4 playing football in the park.

Unless they were playing 4s with some other family, what's the issue with this if it's a daily bit of exercise?  :huh:

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Just back from my walk. I saw more people out today than yesterday. A group of 2  met another 2 pals and were huddled together talking and wouldn’t even separate as I approached. Morons

saw a family of 4 playing football in the park. Went to the shop and as usual there was no bread or toilet rolls. That’s 10 freaking days now. Folk in the shop weren’t sticking to the 2 metre rule, even with yellow tape on the floor as guidelines. 

It's a big bad world out there. 

1 minute ago, pantene proV said:

No need to force holidays on anyone, the furlough scheme is backdated to 1st March. Sounds like they're worried everyone will be firing in all their holidays within a shorter period once back to normal and are trying to take some off by stealth 

That's the way I'm reading it. They know our orders over the next 2-3 weeks will take a nose dive, so forcing employees to take holidays now means they don't have them available to take later in the year when business ramps up again.

All announced under the guise of "we're closing the factory because we care about your health".

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yeah they live together. I just wish more families with young kids would do that instead of saying “stay indoors”

I'll certainly not be suggesting what parents do with their youngsters during this, a lot of parents will be shitting paving slabs. 

I keep reading comments along the lines of ‘we’re about two to three weeks behind Italy’, the inference being that in two to three weeks time we will be seeing about 600 or so deaths per’ day, same as them. Can someone tell me why the UK, or indeed any nation, in about three weeks time, necessarily has to be in the same spot that Italy are in? Seems to me there are shitloads of variables and nothing is certain in any of this.

Edited by pozbaird

Everybody should be looking at how they're being treated during this crisis, no point moaning about it if you ain't going to take action. 
Hopefully key workers in certain companies will club together and try to compete against their employers in the future. 
Like form/join a Union, you mean? That's damn' near communist,I tells ya!

17 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

When’s the shit going to hit the fan here like it did in Italy with hundreds  of deaths per day? 

Disclaimer - hopefully it won’t happen 

To kick off proper in 2 weeks time

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
2 hours ago, ayrmad said:
Everybody should be looking at how they're being treated during this crisis, no point moaning about it if you ain't going to take action. 
Hopefully key workers in certain companies will club together and try to compete against their employers in the future. 

Like form/join a Union, you mean? That's damn' near communist,I tells ya!

No, like starting a company in direct competition and using their strengths and weaknesses against them.