Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The government have literally sent a text to people telling them to stay at home. You can hardly blame folk for taking that literally and not going out. Particularly when those who do go out to buy their weekly shop (usually slightly more than usual due to being at home more than usual) are being labelled as morons, panic buyers, ignoring advice and so on.

When you click on the link in the text, the first line starts "Only go outside for food....". It's not beyond the wit of supermarkets to at least send an email to its online customers explaining that they can't deliver to everyone and asking the young and fit to do their own. 

P.S. Talk of the devil, just got an email from Tesco including this:

image.png.6365fe725d822d6ed0356d4a6d8f07df.png

Edited by welshbairn

The UK government has confirmed it is not working with the European Union (EU) to secure more personal protective equipment and ventilators for the NHS.

Asked whether the UK was taking part in the Brussels scheme, Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s official spokesman said: "I think the short answer to that is no."

The EU has been working for weeks to acquire crucial equipment - like face masks and other medical products - since the coronavirus epidemic spread to the continent earlier this year.

There's a shock !!!

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

When you click on the link in the text, the first line starts "Only go outside for food....". It's not beyond the wit of supermarkets to at least send an email to its online customers explaining that they can't deliver to everyone and asking the young and fit to do their own. 

Again, I get that and I've been doing my own shopping (I was out this afternoon in fact), but the lack of nuance to the overall message is obviously going to lead some folk to choose to stay at home the whole time. That's not helped in the slightest by folk sharing pictures of busy supermarkets on social media (and the news) and shaming people for being there.

I agree the supermarkets should have done a lot more to explain this out - they could even have held back slots for customers over 65 or NHS workers or any other chosen group by simply asking for some proof of identity on delivery or something like that.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Again, I get that and I've been doing my own shopping (I was out this afternoon in fact), but the lack of nuance to the overall message is obviously going to lead some folk to choose to stay at home the whole time. That's not helped in the slightest by folk sharing pictures of busy supermarkets on social media (and the news) and shaming people for being there.

I agree the supermarkets should have done a lot more to explain this out - they could even have held back slots for customers over 65 or NHS workers or any other chosen group by simply asking for some proof of identity on delivery or something like that.

You might not have seen my edit, just got this in an email from Tesco. Spooky. :huh:

image.png.091bbcf11c0242fd03922f8034652f38.png

39 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Good to note that both Sky and BBC now have reporters in position at the gates of Balmoral.

Presumably they are regarded as essential key workers, who have to be stationed at these gates, in the unlikely event of someone coming out to update them on Chucky's condition.

Meanwhile the nation awaits, simply agog at this exciting/devastating news.

20 minutes ago, Daydream said:

They can’t very well do their job at home though can they? So long as they are safe distancing they are complying with the health secretary’s advice.

they could make a model castle out of their hoarded toilet rolls (as amply illustrated elsewhere on P&B) and film themselves stood in front of it with their iPhones ?

What's the right answer ?

We set a time for the older folk to come with certain times.. it's not working as any person is still doing it.
Staff wise still isnt the best with manning it all and that's with new temps coming in.

Online deliveries are capped right now as not enough drivers ( need to be put through test ).
People who get new jobs takes a while for a disclosure normally.... people are starting the next day.

Its pretty mental right now just with everything going on

Professor Neil Ferguson, part of the team at Imperial College London producing the modelling, says that having refined the modelling to take into account the current situation they believe that ICU capacity will not be breached.  This is partly due to the increased ICU capacity and partly to the new restrictions in place.