Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'm not disputing that.
I'm just questionining comrade WATTOOs suggestion that this applies to everyone or even a majority on that train.
In the real world, huge numbers of people enjoy their work and the thought of stopping is probably causing heart palpitations.
I enjoy my work. I am lucky enough, however, to have an employer which follows government advice. I got a text yesterday saying to go home and do what I can from there. Not, repeat not, to attend my normal place of work in any circumstances. Left to my own devices I'd probably take the risk, as distancing is possible in my role and I wanted to put off any isolation as long as possible. I'm on full pay, though. I'll guarantee that upwards of nine out of ten people on that (or any other) train were attending not through some Strength Through Joy desire to work, but because no work equals no pay. A fucking disgraceful situation, and one which will be addressed once this clusterfúck is over.

11 hours ago, throbber said:

Fucking madness. Last night we get told “we must stay at home” and can only go out for one walk a day or leave to get essentials from shops unless we are key workers. Then today every building site I know had people walking around the place with no fucking clue why we were there in the first place and what the instructions were but were pretty certain lockdown was imminent based on last nights announcements and how other infected countries were acting.

I heard nothing back from anyone senior at the company but the second hand instructions I heard were to secure the sites and go home til further instructions assuming we would have to be staying at home in line with everyone else. Then I get the text about an hour ago that says only go to work if you absolutely can’t do it from home - which applies to what % of the construction industry exactly? Using the entire 2 m away from one another rule simply isn’t going to work, I was casually observing over the last couple of weeks what the average person on site is like in terms of being conscientious about the spread of the disease and most people aren’t giving a f**k, it’s not just the guys on the tools either you are seeing site managers and the likes happily shaking hands with one another and standing right beside each other and this is before you even mention how many people come and go on your average building site on a daily basis and the sharing of welfare facilities.

But the government seem to think it’s okay to send (how many on site construction workers are there in the UK?) out to work and spread the infection like wildfire so long as they give the advice to stay 2 meters apart from one another and work outside?

I wish I hadn’t spent so many years watching David Icke stuff on YouTube as this is the clearest example of problem reaction solution/order out of chaos you will ever see. For the second night on a row now I have no idea what is happening tomorrow and if we’re going to work or not or if we can expect to get 80% of our wage paid due to the shutting down of building sites which is happening with some companies but not all of them it would seem. Nobody has a fucking clue.

Assume you're in Scotland throbs? All non essential building sites were ordered to close. Local authorities will probably be the ones deciding on essential sites.

Just now, Romeo said:
6 minutes ago, Oleksandr said:
In this day and age why is Greta "likely" having the virus newsworthy anyway?

In this day and age is Greta "likely" having the virus worthy of coming on to an internet from to cry about?

Who's crying?

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

Assume you're in Scotland throbs? All non essential building sites were ordered to close. Local authorities will probably be the ones deciding on essential sites.

Yeah I am in Edinburgh/East Lothian. The feeling yesterday and Monday was just total confusion from everyone who was expected on site, very little word from the bosses about what to do. It’s still obvious that the Tories want to keep the sites open at the risk of all else so they don’t need to pay up 80% wages and the sending of mixed signals is either just a stall or a desperate hope that we all go in to work as normal and hope for the best.

Saying we can keep our safe distances on building sites is the most ridiculous shite that the health secretary could have possibly come out with as well, does he not know this virus can be spread from touching the same surfaces as one another even without considering welfare facilities on site? Even if construction workers who can’t work from home go in to work it’s not just a case of getting your own work done you rely on other companies/trades on site to check/approve work such as the NHBC and various consultants that need to make regular site to fulfil their duties despite being able to do a good chunk of their work from home. How out of touch can a health secretary possibly be?  

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Yeah I am in Edinburgh/East Lothian. The feeling yesterday and Monday was just total confusion from everyone who was expected on site, very little word from the bosses about what to do. It’s still obvious that the Tories want to keep the sites open at the risk of all else so they don’t need to pay up 80% wages and the sending of mixed signals is either just a stall or a desperate hope that we all go in to work as normal and hope for the best.

Saying we can keep our safe distances on building sites is the most ridiculous shite that the health secretary could have possibly come out with as well, does he not know this virus can be spread from touching the same surfaces as one another even without considering welfare facilities on site? Even if construction workers who can’t work from home go in to work it’s not just a case of getting your own work done you rely on other companies/trades on site to check/approve work such as the NHBC and various consultants that need to make regular site to fulfil their duties despite being able to do a good chunk of their work from home. How out of touch can a health secretary possibly be?  

Absolutely true, the lack of leadership especially from business has been ridiculous, who ever you work for should have decided to close long ago, putting employees in this situation is wrong as for politicians saying you can socially isolate on a building site again is utter rubbish. If you don't have sanitary facilities to wash your hands or use the toilet that's a case for the local authority or Health and Safety executive who would probably issue a warning in the first instance and then start shutting sites down most folk probably wont want their site to shut before a pay agreement is in place the press are reporting one should be available by the end of the week however I suspect for at last one family that will be too late and both your employer and the government have failed in their duty of care.