Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Scottish government has made it clear today building sites should close. Sturgeon said today: "We have been asked specifically about construction sites in Scotland - our advice right now on the basis of that precautionary principle, is that we would expect them to be closed, unless the building that is being worked on is essential – such as a hospital. "
London mayor also quoted today saying he disagreed with the UK gov and thinks they should close.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52017520
On the BBC news channel they were interviewing a site supervisor or manager at a building site who was reiterating how they observing social distancing. Just behind him was about 5 workers all standing together and another shot of the site showed the same.

20 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Just saw a ruddy faced man on the news wearing a poppy shouting about MPs drinking in subsidised bars and people coming across from "China n that" on flights. The personification of the UK.

I didn't think he was wearing a poppy. Stand to be corrected.

The wife of a man from Arizona who died after drinking fish tank cleaner, thinking it was a coronavirus treatment, has blamed President Trump for his death.The man and his wife, who is still under critical care, ingested chloroquine after mistaking it for hydroxychloroquine, a treatment Mr Trump has claimed could help with coronavirus.The man’s wife, who hasn’t revealed her name for privacy reasons, spoke to NBC about why they decided to ingest the cleaner, saying that "we were afraid we were getting sick. We were getting really worried.”  She said that the couple, who were both over 60 years old, had heard the president talk about the chemical in briefings and thought they had discovered it in their home when they saw the word chloroquine.

“I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, ‘hey, isn’t that the stuff they’re talking about on TV,” she said.

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:
15 minutes ago, s_dog said:
Scottish government has made it clear today building sites should close. Sturgeon said today: "We have been asked specifically about construction sites in Scotland - our advice right now on the basis of that precautionary principle, is that we would expect them to be closed, unless the building that is being worked on is essential – such as a hospital. "
London mayor also quoted today saying he disagreed with the UK gov and thinks they should close.

On the BBC news channel they were interviewing a site supervisor or manager at a building site who was reiterating how they observing social distancing. Just behind him was about 5 workers all standing together and another shot of the site showed the same.

"as best they can/as far as possible" were the words he used, I thought.

20 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

“From 12 midnight today, the entire country will go under a complete lockdown to save India and for every Indian, there will be a total ban on venturing out of your homes,” said Modi. “Therefore, I request you to remain wherever you are in this country.”

1.3 billion in the hoose.   I imagine a great many homes in India are not best suited to staying in with the extended family. They'll probably not be very good at the obeying thing.

Especially when less than 40% of homes in the nation have toilets. 

Could get a bit messy. 

Edit: apologies, this was 5 years ago. I had no idea of the clean water campaign. Most houses in India do now have access to a toilet either per household or communal. Though the communal toilet scenario would present its own issues. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:
17 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Serious , I know , but I lolled at your tongue twister at the end.

13 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nah, I'm not having this.  I worked with Tim Martin in the past when he was based in Banchory ~10 years ago and he's exceptionally sound and not as geeky as you'd expect for a computer programmer with a PhD in astrophysics from Cambridge. 

Eta:  upon reflection, there may be one than one Tim Martin.

Your sentence building will improve If you take your finger out his hoop. 

1 hour ago, bernardblack said:

Can we discuss the best Lady Gaga song this evening?

I’ll kick us off with the iconic classic LoveGame

Dance in the Dark or Paparazzi for me. Give me that emotional pop banger any day.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Her early work was a little too depthless for my taste.  But when 'Born This Way' came out in 2011, I think she really came into their own, commercially and artistically.  The whole album has a clear, crisp sound and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that gives the songs a big boost. 

She's been compared to Madonna but I think Gaga has a more bitter, cynical sense of humour. 

In 2009 Gaga released the Fame Monster, her most accomplished album. I think her undisputed masterpiece is Bad Romance, a song so catchy that most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should because it's not just about paranoia and loneliness in society.  It's a personal statement about the artist herself.

I wanted to hate this post but I can't. Great stuff.

Just now, oaksoft said:

I could waste my time arguing with you or I could just give you some evidence to back my view.

According to this survey, 2/3rds of workers like or love their jobs. But hey, maybe you are an expert in this field and know better:-

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/08/03/love-wage-balance-how-many-brits-their-job-and-the

That's got zilch to do with whether they're going to actively risk their, or other people's, health to do their job. 😅

I like my job. If the govt. says I should stop doing it and my company guarantees me my full wage, I'm not going to do it. That should be obvious even to someone as smooth-brained as yersel.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That should be obvious even to someone as smooth-brained as yersel.

We did respite care for a wee boy who had a smooth brain, it's not a very nice condition.