Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Would agree with this. We've started supplying laptops but don't have enough, as such we're still in the office.

As you say, there's no real reason why we can't work from home other than the fact that the business has failed to plan properly and even now they're still refusing to supply people with the tools to do the job from home.

Incidentally, I work for a multinational blue chip and not some mickey mouse operation, although many "mickey mouse" operations would undoubtedly put us to shame.

Disney sound good for us.

Ultimately, the company should jhave to take the hit on this until such times as it can equip everyone to work from home. The consequence of poor business continuity. 

I do however appreciate this may impact badly on the staff in reality in terms of pay through no fault of their own, which is not a position anyone should be put in. 

There's no excuse for it. My former employer is a UK Government department which was quite widely acknowledged as being awful in terms of its technological capabilities. However, even they have equipped everyone so that they can work remotely and with the new issue equipment everyone is working from home. 

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I don't think people want to be on a rush hour tube at the best of times. If they're on them now they're either being forced to go into work or they're legitimate psychopaths that will need to be shot for their own good.

I have no doubt there are a few legitimate psychopaths amongst them. Probably a few of the office martyrs for starters, who will turn up no matter what happens. 

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

We concluded this last night SP. 

By dint of the 5 Charlie’s hoovered in, Hung Up was named best Madonna track by the PnB plebiscite. 

I will fight you

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Surprised to see you’re still here after your James Bond/pop star humiliation.

A) I merely said I was struggling to think of other pop stars other than Grace Jones & Madonna, not claim that they were the only ones.   The question mark inferred a question, not a statement.  ;)

B) One could argue that Grace Jones isn't actually a pop star at all, as she was more new wave rather than Pop, which is a genre in its own right.  One thing is for certain though, and that is that Christopher Lee's failed heavy metal band does not not give him pop star status.  Terry Savalas' one-hit wonder, which involves him talking over some background music, is also dodgy at best.

22 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Agree but financial services is still classed as essential and thousands of folk work in those jobs. My brother deals with new mortgage applications for Santander, hundreds of folk over multiple floors in central Glasgow, all being told they're essential and there isn't the equipment or the desire to allow home working. It's a total joke but they wont shut if they aren't forced to.

It really does have to be questioned whether this is essential. Yes it's financial services, but surely there is a line that needs to be drawn here? Is that function really necessary at this moment in time? 

I don't think it is beyond perhaps a skeleton staff to keep things moving, but it is a shambles a company of that magnitude appears to have no back up plan if staff can't get in the office. 

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

It really does have to be questioned whether this is essential. Yes it's financial services, but surely there is a line that needs to be drawn here? Is that function really necessary at this moment in time? 

I don't think it is beyond perhaps a skeleton staff to keep things moving, but it is a shambles a company of that magnitude appears to have no back up plan if staff can't get in the office. 

It's a bank, not a funeral directors.