Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'm in an unfortunate position. 

Worked was shut today, on our shifts app it's been marked as an authorised unpaid absence. I've agreed to go in tomorrow to help set up a home delivery service. 

No idea what's happening with wages so going to take whatever hours come my way atm. At least being in the shop and just prepping stuff for delivery means it's just me and at most my shop supervisor and no public so risks will be minimal. 

Clarity by the end of the week from the directors. I can get by on 80% of my wages atm thankfully but don't know when it's coming. 

See for zero hours folk, are the government basing this on average earning over the last year or how is it being worked out or is it being left to the employer to work out? 

The government really needs to start telling the legions of whiners that accompany any announcement to f**k off and that they have to close. All that happens is that ever-extending caveats come into play and it starts undermining the message. 

I don't think last night's announcement could've been any clearer, yet here we are. I refuse to believe that even the majority of people seen on the tube this morning cannot work from home and the questions needs to be asked why. Not hard - have the police go around open offices in London and ask questions. If the answer isn't satisfactory, it's shut down. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The government really needs to start telling the legions of whiners that accompany any announcement to f**k off and that they have to close. All that happens is that ever-extending caveats come into play and it starts undermining the message. 

I don't think last night's announcement could've been any clearer, yet here we are. I refuse to believe that even the majority of people seen on the tube this morning cannot work from home and the questions needs to be asked why. Not hard - have the police go around open offices in London and ask questions. If the answer isn't satisfactory, it's shut down. 

Would agree with this. We've started supplying laptops but don't have enough, as such we're still in the office.

As you say, there's no real reason why we can't work from home other than the fact that the business has failed to plan properly and even now they're still refusing to supply people with the tools to do the job from home.

Incidentally, I work for a multinational blue chip and not some mickey mouse operation, although many "mickey mouse" operations would undoubtedly put us to shame.

Disney sound good for us.

2 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

With regards to the tube, i think passes could be given to NHS workers and folk like that so the tube is for them only. You don't have a pass you don't get on. 

That would only screw the innocent workers though and not hit the employer who are the ones to blame. (Tory Gov of course so maybe your idea will be acted upon).

1 minute ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

With regards to the tube, i think passes could be given to NHS workers and folk like that so the tube is for them only. You don't have a pass you don't get on. 

There must be some way of implementing this. Trouble is the gates are automated and you'll need human enforcement of it or anyone with a contactless card can get on. 

I saw the government wanting to try and increase rush hour frequencies to maintain distancing. I think that's a terrible idea and will only encourage people who have no need to be out to travel. It shouldn't feel normal and therefore there is no need for a normal frequency. 

6 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I was in London about a month ago.  You don't need to buy a ticket.  Just swipe your debit card at both ends does the trick.

What you suggest sounds fine but would require an overhaul of the current system.

Edited by Fullerene

13 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Agree but financial services is still classed as essential and thousands of folk work in those jobs. My brother deals with new mortgage applications for Santander, hundreds of folk over multiple floors in central Glasgow, all being told they're essential and there isn't the equipment or the desire to allow home working. It's a total joke but they wont shut if they aren't forced to.

Edited by Lambie's Pigeon Feed

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I saw the government wanting to try and increase rush hour frequencies to maintain distancing. I think that's a terrible idea and will only encourage people who have no need to be out to travel. It shouldn't feel normal and therefore there is no need for a normal frequency. 

I don't think people want to be on a rush hour tube at the best of times. If they're on them now they're either being forced to go into work or they're legitimate psychopaths that will need to be shot for their own good.

Just now, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

Agree but financial services is still classed as essential and thousands of folk work in those jobs. My brother deals with new mortgage applications for Santander, hundreds of folk over multiple floors in central Glasgow, all being told they're essential and there isn't the equipment or the desire to allow home working. It's a total joke but they wont shut if they aren't forced to.

There really is f**k all excuse for companies not to have more remote working. With Citrix easily accessible via home computing you should absolutely be able to access any work desktop at home. Simple security too. 

53 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Last Wednesday:  Pope asks God to stop the Coronavirus.

Today:  At least 60 priests have died due to Covid-19 in Italy as of Tuesday morning.

TFtZvuHxmBx1.gif

God hates Catholics.

Covid 19 is just his way of telling us to throw another Catholic on the fire. 

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Why are they saying folk should go to work if they can't work at home? Doesn't this directly contradict that any non essential business should shut? Should they not just say folk in that situation should stay at home and be paid as if they could work at home?

All sorts of unseen consequences about outlawing work that turns out to be essential to keeping the whole survival infrastructure going. I can understand their reticence about putting out a definitive list.