Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Trying to list jobs that are unnecessary would be near impossible, everything's interconnected. 

Yeah, some things are interconnected, but listing the unnecessary job is a piece of pish.

8B9E12B3-D222-4100-BE24-AEDCCB124E1F.jpeg

1 minute ago, resk said:

Here is the official guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

It matches what the PM said. One of the valid reasons for leaving home is "travelling for work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home".

As far as I can tell the "essential work only" thing is an erroneous addition by the Bbc. I think it might have stemmed from the "key workers" definition that was related to their children going to school.

I reckon people can still travel to and undertake non-essential / non-key work unless its in places that are specifically closed down - pubs, schools, some shops, etc.

I totally agree with your assessment.  I also think the government have bottled it, they should have shut down all non-essential activities as far as that was practically possible.

26 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

If the construction work is essential then it needs to continue.

But most construction is not essential. Secure the sites and get folk home.

For timber frame, once the panels go up, the clock is ticking. The nails, Fermacell and plasterboard all get affected by moisture so the whole unit has to be made weathertight as quickly as possible.

There was a site down south a couple of years ago where the main contractor stopped work due to a dispute. Three months later they went back to work but the Fermacell was like playdough and the nails were rusting. Building control ordered the whole lot torn down.

If the sites are closed before the units are properly watertight (roofs, windows, doors etc) then it could cost a fortune to re-start them. 

From the guidance on the government website, my interpretation is that the 2m rule is now no longer simply advice and "must" be followed. Therefore the police should be on the trains, making a small fortune through the dishing out of fines to those crammed in heading to work, right? 

I'm presuming that they're going to have to take a rather common sense approach to this, i.e. seeing busy trains as a necessary evil but busting up "long time, no see" chats between couples in the street. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

20 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

That's us off on full pay, no even working from home.  

Girl i know is off her work full pay and has just taken a job at a supermarket.....not sure how that works or what the implications are? other than being selfish AF

I’ve read a few people have been saying that they believe Coronavirus has been on the go here for much longer than the authorities are reporting. They also said they had an unusual cold/flu type thing around about Christmas that they’ve never experienced before. I had that and it lingered on and off until mid Feb. Anyone in the same boat?

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'm presuming that they're going to have to take a rather common sense approach to this

As you should be, the strategy totally depends on the vast majority of people using their common sense, there is no way for a few thousand police officers and even soldiers to force 60 odd million people to do the right thing. f**k knows what people demanding a lockdown expected, an individualised rule of conduct for everyone, with a chip in your forehead that gives you an electric shock when you break the rules? It's fucking simple, minimise contact and transmission and stay home unless you need to for your work, and you haven't been told to stop.

When it was advice, and not an order, I think there were hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of UK citizens who went out for a walk, as there was no football, gym, theatre, cinema, concerts, clubs, restaurants, or whatever... I don’t think people meant harm, nor do I think they were trying to be arseholes and just stick two fingers up to anyone and everyone. It transpired that if the ones and twos went walking in a popular area, it created a large group scene, which looked like no-one was giving a flying fcuk. Again, I don’t think that was the intention of the vast majority.

It will be interesting to see how this now plays out. It’s a ‘lockdown’ where we can go out to a supermarket, a chemist, a daily dose of exercise, and a hardware store can stay open, so one must assume the government think it’s OK for us to visit B&Q, and maybe crack on with decorating the living room. There will be a certain percentage of folk who bend, twist, and circumnavigate the new orders, but even if there are, the fact it is now an order rather than advice, will see more folk obey the orders. This should surely make it easier for deliberate flaunting and the ‘GIRFUY’ crowd to be spotted and dealt with. The pub in Greenock staying open, the London crowds who still packed city pubs. That sort of highly visible thing.

How the police, or anyone, could police an entire country if anyone visits a non-family member, or breaks the new orders, is frankly beyond me. In major cities, maybe they will have a few squads roaming, looking for organised mass disobedience, but it’s a big piece of country we live in, and the ratio of police to punters? 

The next interesting thing will be to see the unfolding UK figures. For reported cases, deaths, recoveries. The clear message is that we are ‘two weeks behind’ Italy, and in roughly two weeks time, we will be facing thousands of deaths, and the real possibility of a completely overrun NHS. I have read that this is based on the models from other places. However, in Lanarkshire, where I live, there are currently 49 confirmed cases in a population of 695,200 people. I understand the explanation that if it doubles in a day, and continues doubling, then.... but I cannot get my head around it. I still feel that it isn’t going to happen. I genuinely hope it doesn’t happen - clearly, don’t want to see that for any number of good reasons. The fact remains though, I cannot help think that while serious, yes, this is going to be one huge over-estimation of how bad it is going to get in the UK. The mention of 250,000 deaths, with 20,000 deaths being a bit of a result? I don’t know, I just don’t know. 

Very, very confused. Hope no-one thinks my attitude is ‘fcuk it, this is hee-haw, what a crock of shite over a bit of flu’, that’s not my intent at all.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’ve read a few people have been saying that they believe Coronavirus has been on the go here for much longer than the authorities are reporting. They also said they had an unusual cold/flu type thing around about Christmas that they’ve never experienced before. I had that and it lingered on and off until mid Feb. Anyone in the same boat?

That will have been a cold, you would have known it if it had been the flu.

Just now, red23 said:

Girl i know is off her work full pay and has just taken a job at a supermarket.....not sure how that works or what the implications are? other than being selfish AF

Depends, I had to agree to be classed as a furloughed worker so that we could do the Government 80% hing and that just stops me from being able to do any work for my company.  

I believe my contract (like most I've had) will have something in there about needing to request some level of permission to take on a second job or similar. 

8 minutes ago, red23 said:

If any job is essential it's working in a supermarket, not selfish at all. Good on her imo.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

If any job is essential it's working in a supermarket, not selfish at all. Good on her imo.

Probably better leaving it for people that need jobs? quite a lot of those at present, rather than topping up your existing pay.

Edited by red23

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As you should be, the strategy totally depends on the vast majority of people using their common sense, there is no way for a few thousand police officers and even soldiers to force 60 odd million people to do the right thing. f**k knows what people demanding a lockdown expected, an individualised rule of conduct for everyone, with a chip in your forehead that gives you an electric shock when you break the rules? It's fucking simple, minimise contact and transmission and stay home unless you need to for your work, and you haven't been told to stop.

This 'simple' line has so far failed to register with a considerable chunk who very evidently won't follow anything that isn't a set of laws simple enough to be written on the back of a fag packet. 

Although it's no longer just advice, there's actually very little difference to what we had this morning. You can pretty much guarantee that people will see a trip to Tentsmuir as being a drive out to use up their beach walk quota for the day, with a trip to the nearest Spar being essential because they never bothered to bring lunch.

Edited by Hedgecutter

7 minutes ago, red23 said:

Probably better leaving it for people that need jobs? quite a lot of those at present, rather than topping up your existing pay.

If there are plenty people up for it, fair enough, doesn't look like it in Inverness at Tesco.

About the role

Your community needs you.

With the COVID-19 situation evolving every day, and unprecedented high demand, we urgently need to recruit extra temporary in-store colleagues. Working in our stores, you’ll play a key role in keeping our shelves stocked, helping our customers get what they need during this challenging time.

Various shifts available

Was gallows humour at work today.
Some confusion if sales is actually “essential” ( in my mind no ), but there we were.
Guys taping off the floor around the cars in the showroom marking six foot distances, crosses on the floor for where to stand, some real “3 stooges” like discussion about how to do a “walk round” of a car.........then smartarse here asks “ how you going to do a test drive and be 6’ away?
🤪[emoji23]

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

When it was advice, and not an order, I think there were hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of UK citizens who went out for a walk, as there was no football, gym, theatre, cinema, concerts, clubs, restaurants, or whatever... I don’t think people meant harm, nor do I think they were trying to be arseholes and just stick two fingers up to anyone and everyone. It transpired that if the ones and twos went walking in a popular area, it created a large group scene, which looked like no-one was giving a flying fcuk. Again, I don’t think that was the intention of the vast majority.

I’d agree with this. It was the first good weekend of weather we’ve been had all year after 3 storms. It was mother’s day and young kids were out with their parents enjoying the sun. From the beach pics I saw from Ayr it looked like 99% were observing the 2 metre “rule”. It’s alright for the high and mighty on social media calling them selfish and “killers” etc, maybe they should try being indoors on a sunny day with a few young kids going stir crazy 

Small business employee...there's me and the two owners, in Canada so our situation is different.

We're trying to stay open as long as possible, we do need to interact with the public, but not on a close quarters basis (we've been distancing thus far).

I'd consider us a semi-essential service (we have contract with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police detachment locally for doing seasonal tire changes) and let's face it, if anyone needs to drive and they've got baldy tires, we're safety critical there.

My dole money would come in immediately, but I'd need to take a $500/week cut in pay, which would cripple us. The wife works for a chocolate store who've been closed for the last week and they've been guaranteed wages until the 31st, but who knows after that....she'd be taking a similar pay cut of $500/week.

Great time for it, we were finalizing paperwork to move into our new place, but won't be good form to go straight into defaulted payments and with our first child on the way

safe to say i'm SHITE-ING myself

Edited by mugen_power