Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Because I'll be dead if I get it, ploughed on waiting for Boris and Nicola to announce their rescue package rather than take evasive action earlier, I'm fine if my times up but my kids n grandkids have had a hellish 5 years without anything happening to me. 
Just remember that 80% of the over 80s will not need hospital treatment for this.

The odds are in our favour and we need to stay reasonably calm and positive.

This boils my piss more than anything else.

Fucking stupid wasteful arseholes. My house is now on a severe 'no waste' policy.

Soups, smoothies, leftovers, checking dates daily, the fucking works.

Although right now my crohn's is so bad i literally can't eat anything. I'm cooking all the food (the missus is so so but she'd rather take the convenient option) and having a wee taste is literally causing pain.

I love cooking and i like planning the kids meals properly but f**k me i need to stop cooking.

28 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I went to the corner shop about an hour ago. The lassie behind the till wiped her nose into a tissue and then stuffed it in her pocket. She then preceded to cough into her hand then sniff, then handle my items to scan them. I was so annoyed at her but decided not to say anything as I didn’t want barred. Anyway I went to my car and sanitised my hands straight away. If morons like this are serving the public then no wonder it’s spreading at a vast rate 

Maybe she's working in the local shop to fund her Masters in Astrophysics.

Just now, pandarilla said:

Just remember that 80% of the over 80s will not need hospital treatment for this.

The odds are in our favour and we need to stay reasonably calm and positive.

I'm as calm and positive as one could be but I also know what condition I'm in, will handle a mild dose but anything more will be pushing it, this will change a lot of peoples behaviour for years to come. 

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just one quote from your "why didn't they do what I think now" speech. How would that create social distancing when a load of key workers need to get to their jobs? 

The key workers thing is correct, as is keeping trains running. Problem is they haven’t even defined key workers yet so until a business is told to shut down they won’t. End result, jam packed trains today.

Id expect this response from a third world country. I’d wager we have paid experts who study and have planed for such an event. Surely outbreaks would be put on a scale and plans drawn up to deal with each type of event. Even if it was a small localised outbreak like Ebola there should have been travel bans and testing put in place. China didn’t lockdown millions for a laugh, it was a major event months back and still we continued on as if nothing was wrong. Our response has arguably been the worst of any western nation.

The herd immunity and immediate u-turn says to me that they weren’t following any scientific advice of note and had schemed up some bizarre advice that went against WHO guidelines plus what you saw happening in China, Italy and Iran.

I would have thought that cobra or high level meetings would have input from the very best scientists in the uk rather than political advisers and also there would be a voting system in place where you must follow facts and evidence and show no political bias.

It seems like this Cummings p***k has had too much of a say.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

The key workers thing is correct, as is keeping trains running. Problem is they haven’t even defined key workers yet so until a business is told to shut down they won’t. End result, jam packed trains today.

Id expect this response from a third world country. I’d wager we have paid experts who study and have planed for such an event. Surely outbreaks would be put on a scale and plans drawn up to deal with each type of event. Even if it was a small localised outbreak like Ebola there should have been travel bans and testing put in place. China didn’t lockdown millions for a laugh, it was a major event months back and still we continued on as if nothing was wrong. Our response has arguably been the worst of any western nation.

The herd immunity and immediate u-turn says to me that they weren’t following any scientific advice of note and had schemed up some bizarre advice that went against WHO guidelines plus what you saw happening in China, Italy and Iran.

I would have thought that cobra or high level meetings would have input from the very best scientists in the uk rather than political advisers and also there would be a voting system in place where you must follow facts and evidence and show no political bias.

It seems like this Cummings p***k has had too much of a say.

Wait. You think Cobra meetings aren't attended by scientific experts?

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

I think that's an excellent graphic.

But I honestly think that society as a whole is so thick, that to many that'll just be a picture of dots and lines, and the whole concept is lost.

It almost has to be done with people e.g. This is John, John goes into a shop and shakes hands with Tom then hugs Sandra etc, with very basic instructions but very brief and concise due to folks' limited attention spans.

I think the same with the whole 'flatten the curve' slogan; so many people will see these pictures of two straight lines and a curvy line with a country written beside it, and it will mean f**k all.

Many people are still probably going about normal life with the attitude "if I get it, i get it" without understanding the bigger picture.

Its one of the big missed opportunities in the way this has been dealt with, the dire lack of relatable social media output to inform and educate, and shape people's behaviour, as well as to stop the vacuum which is inevitably filled by here say and rumours racing around Facebook/ twitter etc.  It's never been easier to get your message across and it's as if they're  happy to the media shape the whole narrative.