Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Can't believe I missed a page on here.  Losing it!

In fairness I've only managed to keep up due to my IT team being completely incompetent and locking me out of all my systems access. As a result the only thing I've been able to access is pie and bovril. Could be worse I suppose.

On the other hand, maybe they're dropping a hint. 

Edited by WATTOO

40 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I took the many comments along the lines of ‘just do not go out at all’ as pretty much that - chain yourself to your bed. Look, I am far from being in the ‘fcuk everyone I’m going to the pub, fcuk youse all’ category. Most of my days are spent in the house, posting on here, reading a book, playing on my PS4. I choose to go out for a bit daily, I choose where to go as carefully as possible. I am not apologising for doing this. We are all entitled to our opinion, but you can take your ‘snowflake’ type of patter to fcuk please.

Nobody said don't go out at all, I said you should go out for essential things only. Golf isn't essential, but I'm done going over this so wire in.

The snowflake reference was just down to your toys oot the pram "ah well lets just not touch ANYTHING" response, it's very child like.

10 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

This is literally pish.

If we start with 5,000 cases, the geometric progression after , say 70 days,  could be 100 million-ish depending on how many days is 'a few'.

So, we're all going to die? Twice?

People struggle with just how quickly exponential growth gets out of hand.

It's like the famous (in maths at least) question about whether you'd like to be given £1m for a whole month, or 1p on the first day of the month, 2p on the second day, 4p on the third and so on, with the amount doubling each day. Most people would take the first option, but in fact the second option would be worth roughly £21.5m in a month with 31 days.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

BBC reporting that Italy's numbers do not reflect what the Italian government wanted to see. 

As far as I can tell though, deaths have dropped day on day and new cases have dropped day on day for the 2nd day running. 

Agreed. But if a lockdown is coming here they probably want to make everything seem as negative as possible

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's like the famous (in maths at least) question about whether you'd like to be given £1m for a whole month, or 1p on the first day of the month, 2p on the second day, 4p on the third and so on, with the amount doubling each day. Most people would take the first option, but in fact the second option would be worth roughly £21.5m in a month with 31 days.

....or one grain of rice on the first square of a chess board then doubling each square....

I just walked past a woman in a Tesco aisle, whilst making sure I was as far away from her as I could possibly be (probably a metre or so),  and she shouted ''SOCIAL AWARENESS!'' at me. It was quite disconcerting. I don't know what exactly she expected to happen during her afternoon shopping trip in London. 

Agreed. But if a lockdown is coming here they probably want to make everything seem as negative as possible

They don’t really need to do that though. Public support is overwhelmingly in favour of a lockdown, if the poll earlier in the thread is to be believed

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Nobody is being attacked or shouted at, we don't always need victims in debates. GordonS earlier admitted to mingling with his family down the park, you seem to be against that in your above post. Both of you think it's fine to be outside but have different interpretations of what is fine to do outside. See how these "guidelines" get bent?

You're entirely allowed to "mingle" with people that you share a house with!

Me and the guy you're replying to have exactly the same interpretation of the rules. They're incredibly simple and obvious. 

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

They don’t really need to do that though. Public support is overwhelmingly in favour of a lockdown, if the poll earlier in the thread is to be believed

2019: Boris is a fascist!

2020: Boris must lock us all up!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you're right, and we might see politicians locking us all down just because many people can't find the space between under and over-reacting.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

When folk have been stuck in their house for weeks on end whilst deaths and cases continue to rise, they'll blame the government, not themselves for thinking lockdown was a good idea in the first place.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Sure, but in the real world exponential growth is impossible because you eventually run out of possibilities. This is why pyramid schemes all fail - at some point you just run out of susceptible people with whom there is a chain of contact.

18 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Sturgeon’s speech is basically saying a lockdown is coming and that she supports it.

Can you quote the parts that make you say that? Because that's not what I took from it at all.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Sure, but in the real world exponential growth is impossible because you eventually run out of possibilities. This is why pyramid schemes all fail - at some point you just run out of susceptible people with whom there is a chain of contact.

That was my point, in keeping with the tone of the post I was replying to.

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Untitled15.thumb.png.86bc2f7a552c28063193ca6baaae4c17.png