Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's been like a constant stream of pollution.

I respect his opinion but he went on so much even folk agreeing with him thought he was a dick. That's counter-productive. Self awareness is a vital skill, kids.

Important to note, this virus doesn't last long outside, according to evidence (in pretty sure). Indoor surfaces, public transport etc is a much bigger threat. Get those trains and buses and offices empty. And get the queues outside shops and chemists sorted.

Those things would help much more than telling someone not to go for a quiet, rules-compliant walk (or dare i say a game of gowf).

Metal surfaces can hold the virus for up to 9 days even outside.

ISOLATION UPDATE: Have now been stuck with my new girlfriend for three full days. We still find each other bearable. A minor hiccup yesterday when we went on our daily walk to Tesco (maintaining our social distance from others). A group of street youths, packed together in close proximity just outside the supermarket, started shouting at us. ‘’Your girlfriend’s a slag!’’, one of them yelled. It was a concerning situation.

However, those concerns have now been laid to rest. As soon as we got back home, I demanded to know WHY THEY WERE CALLING HER A SLAG AND WHETHER IT’S BECAUSE SHE HAS BEEN SLEEPING AROUND THE TOWN WILLY-NILLY. She said ‘’no’’.

So anyway, yes, this self-isolation period is still going well. Will update further in due course.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think you both are well aware I was talking about the current highly contagious virus which is being passed around by those venturing outside for periods of time. As far as I'm aware there have been no cases passed through the water supply and directly in through someones personal shower. I get you argue that doing your exercise outside is fine, for most it probably will be, but you're acting like this isn't increasing risk to you or others, it absolutely is.

Leave it out, Hedge. Those taps/buttons/toilet flush only get contaminated by people leaving the house and bringing bacteria back in. If you don't leave the house your risk of getting this virus is extremely slim. 

I don't actually disagree with much of what you're saying, however as I've also mentioned I find the risk of me contracting the virus commuting or at my work in Glasgow to be FAR greater than contracting it on the golf course where I'll be socially distanced and not touching any foreign surfaces.

If one is acceptable and one not, I'd expect the Glasgow one to be the "unacceptable" one and also the risk of bringing the disease into my rural community should also be taken into account but it's not.

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

For the Nervous Nellies: Our family went to the Kinneil Estate yesterday. Here was our thinking. If you can tell me what was actually wrong with it, I'd love to hear it.

We thought about walking or cycling round Linlithgow Loch, but it's always pretty busy and we thought it would be worse yesterday. Same for the canal, and that path is too narrow to pass with sufficient distance, especially on bikes.

Then we thought about Muiravonside, because it has wide paths. We knew it could be busy, we thought about going to see and if the car park was busy then we'd turn back. But it didn't seem worth it.

Then we remembered Kinneil Estate is always quiet, it's very spacious and the paths are wide. There were about 10 cars at the car park. We walked round the estate, easily keeping 2m distance from the handful of people we passed. Everyone was making big, exaggerated moves to the edge of the paths, it was quite funny. We didn't pat dogs, for a change. We didn't sit on benches because you're bound to put your hands where others have. We had a picnic and threw a ball around on a wide, empty area of grass.

We washed hands before we left and as soon as we got home. We used wipes before the picnic and before getting back to the car.

Anyone who thinks that we should have stayed home is making up their own rules and expecting others to live by them.

That really helps your case.

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

How can they possibly shut chemists?  Utter stupidity.

I think there is a huge backlog of prescriptions.  I understand that they have to get these things absolutely right in terms of getting people the correct prescription orders.  It's not something where if you make a mistake it doesn't really matter much. 

Having crowds of people hanging around outside the chemist isn't helpful though.

I'd also heard elsewhere, not sure if it applies here, that a lot of drugs are made exclusively in China and that there is going to be a shortage of certain types.

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I don't actually disagree with much of what you're saying, however as I've also mentioned I find the risk of me contracting the virus commuting or at my work in Glasgow to be FAR greater than contracting it on the golf course where I'll be socially distanced and not touching any foreign surfaces.

If one is acceptable and one not, I'd expect the Glasgow one to be the "unacceptable" one and also the risk of bringing the disease into my rural community should also be taken into account but it's not.

Hopefully you're not in my rural community. 

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Ask yourself, is this essential?

Is your game of golf essential?

You won't give up a game of golf in a global health emergency on the same day as the First Minister said on live radio that you should.

That's daft. I'm sorry, but it just is.

Will my 5s be ok? I never get within 2 yards of anyone and nobody passed to me because I'm shite?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

54 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Or how about people accept the advice as it is and don't be dicks?

Jason Leitch went for a 5k run yesterday, and I think he knows more about it than any of us on here.

What was his time? I need to know how serious a runner he is before I can decide on whether or not his advice is worth taking.

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Hearing rumours it's lock down tonight. Best get your excuses for going a run polished for the authorities. 👍 

It'll be fine, they shut our polis station last year and in the other two towns close by they were shut years ago.

The question is, should we go looting before or after we go for our run or just combine the two ???

Just now, WATTOO said:

It'll be fine, they shut our polis station last year and in the other two towns close by they were shut years ago.

The question is, should we go looting before or after we go for our run or just combine the two ???

Pretty sure looting doesn't conform to social distancing rules m8

Quoting word-for-word the Chief Medical Officer, Catherine Calderwood, who has just spoken after the First Minister:

"We know that this is difficult, and we know that this is for the long haul. We have said that these measures are for at least three months in the first instance. So we need to be realistic about people's lives. Exercise is extremely important, fresh air, keeping fit, but also it's very good for people's well being. So we're saying people should go out once a day to exercise, whatever that exercise may be for you - a walk, a run, a cycle - but don't do it except in small family groups do not mingle with other people while out in the outdoors. We're going to have to adapt to life in this new world, we don't want people to become unwell for other reasons, we want to keep people as fit and healthy as possible. So we will encourage people to continue to use the outdoors to keep their mental and physical wellbeing as good as possible. But we're really in this for a marathon, not a sprint."

Argument over.

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

For the Nervous Nellies: Our family went to the Kinneil Estate yesterday. Here was our thinking. If you can tell me what was actually wrong with it, I'd love to hear it.

We thought about walking or cycling round Linlithgow Loch, but it's always pretty busy and we thought it would be worse yesterday. Same for the canal, and that path is too narrow to pass with sufficient distance, especially on bikes.

Then we thought about Muiravonside, because it has wide paths. We knew it could be busy, we thought about going to see and if the car park was busy then we'd turn back. But it didn't seem worth it.

Then we remembered Kinneil Estate is always quiet, it's very spacious and the paths are wide. There were about 10 cars at the car park. We walked round the estate, easily keeping 2m distance from the handful of people we passed. Everyone was making big, exaggerated moves to the edge of the paths, it was quite funny. We didn't pat dogs, for a change. We didn't sit on benches because you're bound to put your hands where others have. We had a picnic and threw a ball around on a wide, empty area of grass.

We washed hands before we left and as soon as we got home. We used wipes before the picnic and before getting back to the car.

Anyone who thinks that we should have stayed home is making up their own rules and expecting others to live by them.

You seem to be getting a lot of greenies for this but i cannot get on board. So its go outisde if you can outsmart the system and manipulate a plan. Lets say the entire population did this, then it quite simply wouldnt work. Then the amount of people at said estate would be double or triple. Or is it only certain families that should be allowed to do this who know where the quiet places are? Its the classic one rule for you but not for others. Yes, chances are your little trip made no difference but thats not the bloody point. Its a societal thing and if we as a society all take these small risks it mounts up and ultimately it is selfish entitled behaviour thinking you are above the rules. How many deaths as a result of people going outside and spreading this would it take or a percentage chance that your actions contribute to the spread would it take for you to just stay inside? 

Just now, ScottishZizou said:

You seem to be getting a lot of greenies for this but i cannot get on board. So its go outisde if you can outsmart the system and manipulate a plan. Lets say the entire population did this, then it quite simply wouldnt work. Then the amount of people at said estate would be double or triple. Or is it only certain families that should be allowed to do this who know where the quiet places are? Its the classic one rule for you but not for others. Yes, chances are your little trip made no difference but thats not the bloody point. Its a societal thing and if we as a society all take these small risks it mounts up and ultimately it is selfish entitled behaviour thinking you are above the rules. How many deaths as a result of people going outside and spreading this would it take or a percentage chance that your actions contribute to the spread would it take for you to just stay inside? 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Quoting word-for-word the Chief Medical Officer, Catherine Calderwood, who has just spoken after the First Minister:

"We know that this is difficult, and we know that this is for the long haul. We have said that these measures are for at least three months in the first instance. So we need to be realistic about people's lives. Exercise is extremely important, fresh air, keeping fit, but also it's very good for people's well being. So we're saying people should go out once a day to exercise, whatever that exercise may be for you - a walk, a run, a cycle - but don't do it except in small family groups do not mingle with other people while out in the outdoors. We're going to have to adapt to life in this new world, we don't want people to become unwell for other reasons, we want to keep people as fit and healthy as possible. So we will encourage people to continue to use the outdoors to keep their mental and physical wellbeing as good as possible. But we're really in this for a marathon, not a sprint."

Argument over.

But does Catherine Calderwood FRCOG FRCPE know anything about this kind of thing though? Compared to..  the Malaysian government?

The absolute nick of these OCD roasters thinking that touching a handrail when out for a walk is a credible risk factor; all while  glorified cattle trucks of commuters are going to and from their not at all ‘essential’ workplaces every day.

1919238B-D2A6-48F5-8023-A45A2B4B9021.png.89c2e3c13021db68366fd0fd8c728b00.png

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Will my 5s be ok? I never get within 2 yards of anyone and nobody passed to me because I'm shite?

Have you ever thought of taking up golf. There is a guy who lives in Cumbernauld, Fat Jock they call him (to his face), everyone else calls him Gammy Fit.  Well, I heard he is selling a set of clubs.   c**t canny play anymore, something to do with breath difficulties...

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The principle means of infection is infected air.  The air can be infected by someone with no symptoms or who hasn't developed symptoms yet simply exhaling.  Sneezing and coughing aren't required.

The recommendations in terms of hygiene and distance are to minimize risk, they are not guarantees that you won't be infected.

The virus isn't interested in contrarian punter logic.  Protect yourself and others by staying indoors unless it's absolutely necessary to go out.

Please follow the guidelines.  The consequences of not doing so are huge.  This isn't a drill or an ironic amusement.  Lives are at stake. Actual peoples lives.

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

How can they possibly shut chemists?  Utter stupidity.

They aren't. They have just been mentioned as staying specifically open. I visited one this morning. They are running on reduced hours and with restrictions in place.

10 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Hearing rumours it's lock down tonight. Best get your excuses for going a run polished for the authorities. 👍 

This sort of vague bullshit helps no one. Needless stuff.