Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm just below the highest risk group and looking after someone the same. Thankfully we live near a river, canal and park where it's easy not to get close to people, will have to take a thermos or hipflask instead of stopping at a cafe or pub, but paranoia might take over as the % of potential carriers increase. Well stocked up so long as alcohol deliveries continue online.

I can think of shitloads of places where I could go for a walk and not see a soul - Hampden, St Mirren Park, Tannadice, Rugby Park....

Just now, JTS98 said:

I'm actually arguing for following the social distancing advice given elsewhere.

The UK is currently presenting a confusing social distancing message of 'Don't be around other people, except when you want to'. This is insanity and is a position that has failed elsewhere.

The message should be clear. Stay at home unless you're getting essentials.

What you're describing is lockdown not social distancing. 

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Bairn Necessities said:

What you're describing is lockdown not social distancing. 

They're just the same thing on a sliding scale.

What the UK is advising just now is partial social distancing. It makes no sense.

1 minute ago, JTS98 said:

I'm not the polis. But I don't think people should be doing that. No.

I think it's selfish and irresponsible.

Has government advice changed? I thought it was okay to walk for exercise as long as you were social distancing, staying 2 metres away from people.

Either way I’ve only left the house/garden once since Monday. That was on Friday to get milk at the Co-op for my parents. They have been self isolating since the start of March, as they both have issues with their lungs.

I'm actually arguing for following the social distancing advice given elsewhere.

The UK is currently presenting a confusing social distancing message of 'Don't be around other people, except when you want to'. This is insanity and is a position that has failed elsewhere.

The message should be clear. Stay at home unless you're getting essentials.

I sympathise with your position, genuinely.  But I’m fairly certain that social distancing will have a huge positive impact; I’m far more concerned about the idiots who are not doing it rather than those doing it responsibly.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

I don't understand how they thought giving changing advice nearly daily would be better than a single (frightening, Draconian) message repeated ad nauseum.

This.

What a fucking shambles this mob are. Absolutely ridiculous that their incompetence will result in numerous unnecessary deaths despite having a 2 week head start on this ongoing crisis.

#Torycunts

They're just the same thing on a sliding scale.

What the UK is advising just now is partial social distancing. It makes no sense.

What the government are currently advising is that exercise is a very good thing, for mental and physical health. 

You are not being advised not to exercise. Its perfectly safe to go for a walk in the park. 

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Has government advice changed? I thought it was okay to walk for exercise as long as you were social distancing, staying 2 metres away from people.

Either way I’ve only left the house/garden once since Monday. That was on Friday to get milk at the Co-op for my parents. They have been self isolating since the start of March, as they both have issues with their lungs.

How good are you at judging 2 metres? How much do you trust yourself to not drop your guard for a moment and do something stupid like shake someone's hand then touch your face? How much do you trust yourself to not touch a door handle somewhere when you're out, right after someone else has touched it? How do you know the other person has washed their hands? How do you know your pal you're out walking with isn't an asymptomatic carrier? How do you know you're not?

Lockdown is coming anyway because arseholes can’t be trusted to do this off their own back.

I don’t agree with JTS98 in theory. We should be able to get out of the house responsibly for at least a small part of the day.

But as long as it’s a choice arseholes will continue to congregate in parks etc and lockdown will be brought in.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The teenager next door is out the back with his pals. Just went out to throw their ball back over fence and see another set of neighbours (2 + 3) sitting out front.

I actually hate people.

People think being out and about and around other people is ok. This is the whole fucking point.

Stay at home.

How good are you at judging 2 metres? How much do you trust yourself to not drop your guard for a moment and do something stupid like shake someone's hand then touch your face? How much do you trust yourself to not touch a door handle somewhere when you're out, right after someone else has touched it? How do you know the other person has washed their hands? How do you know your pal you're out walking with isn't an asymptomatic carrier? How do you know you're not?

How do you know you’ve never seen a grown man naked? How do you know you’ve never been to a Turkish men’s sauna?

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Lockdown is coming anyway because arseholes can’t be trusted to do this off their own back.

I don’t agree with JTS98 in theory. We should be able to get out of the house responsibly for at least a small part of the day.

But as long as it’s a choice arseholes will continue to congregate in parks etc and lockdown will be brought in.

The fact that we know such people exist is why lockdown is the only way. We are seeing this around the world and I find it surprising that so many people still trust the general public of any country with this. It does not work.